Building a race purpose LH [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Building a race purpose LH

BigBen
02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum and I have to admit that i'm really enjoying this website.

I've decided to post because i'm planning to built a race car using a 94 vision and i would like to know if there's a way to unlock the cpu. 'cause i will be using the 3.3 and it stall at 190km.h. Iwas thinking of a carburetor but i don't know. So does anybodie have any idea?

Jdnet
02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
do you have thousands of $ to burn?

cdmccul
02-17-2009, 06:28 PM
If you are making a race 3.3, I can probably get you in touch with a machine shop that raced the Shelby Can-Am 3.3's after the original project lost momentum... he has at least one 3.3 head, worked over by Shelby, with Titanium Valves installed... He MIGHT have a ECM, but I doubt it. However, he might have connections for you.

slothman
02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
What type of racing?

Xpid
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
What kind of racing are you gonna do?

No offence to any 3.3L guys, but why would u use the 3.3L why not get a 3.5LHO then stroke it out to a 4.0L and go from there. Raising the compression ratio way up, maybe having your cams reground. Finding some bigger injectors some where, and gutting every thing in your car except a plastic seat and a tiny little steering wheel. Second off what are you going to use for a transmission the one you have probably won't hold up!

Not trying to rain on your parade or doubt you but from the information you just gave us sounds like you might need to study a bit more.

By the way there is no way to "unlock" the computer. when you hit over 100mph in the 1/4 mile let me know!

Chewievette
02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
the 3.3L is a plenty good enough platform for performance and any true 3.3L nut will just become more committed to the plan when you tell him to pick another engine.

If you want to keep fuel injection you will need to run a stand alone computer to get the most out of it. The stock PCM can handle some power but it has its limits. If you go stand alone on the PCM and want to keep the 42LE transmission you will also need to pick up a stand alone TCM, which they do make in a plug and play.

If you slap a carb on it then you will need to rig up an ignition system, not easy, but not impossible either.

mf2004champ
02-17-2009, 08:26 PM
To the OP:

I'm currently in a similair situation. I would like to buy a charger, but can't, b/c no $$$$. So, I just ordered a radar detector, (to replace my Uniden from '99, DEAD) going to install new rack bushings, new ball joints, spark plugs, wires, and new remote keyless remote, fixing door locks.

And putting in autostick this spring when I find all the parts. Also, putting in window tint, like circa 2002 before DOT made me take it off. Reinvention to save money is bottomline. Hopefully, after all said and done, it will resemble what she was in the late 90s and the turn of the 21st century. Maybe even better...

Oh.. and new paint because it's rusting through the roof currently...

All this stuff will cost me about $500-700, compared to $20,000 for a used Charger R/T 5.7L.

BigDog2k7
02-17-2009, 08:40 PM
the 3.3L is a plenty good enough platform for performance and any true 3.3L nut will just become more committed to the plan when you tell him to pick another engine.

If you want to keep fuel injection you will need to run a stand alone computer to get the most out of it. The stock PCM can handle some power but it has its limits. If you go stand alone on the PCM and want to keep the 42LE transmission you will also need to pick up a stand alone TCM, which they do make in a plug and play.

If you slap a carb on it then you will need to rig up an ignition system, not easy, but not impossible either.

talk to Radar on mx6.com forums, he is the Megasquirt God :fun_08:

93'TrepFTW
02-17-2009, 10:46 PM
What kind of racing are you gonna do?

No offence to any 3.3L guys, but why would u use the 3.3L why not get a 3.5LHO then stroke it out to a 4.0L and go from there. Raising the compression ratio way up, maybe having your cams reground. Finding some bigger injectors some where, and gutting every thing in your car except a plastic seat and a tiny little steering wheel. Second off what are you going to use for a transmission the one you have probably won't hold up!

Not trying to rain on your parade or doubt you but from the information you just gave us sounds like you might need to study a bit more.

By the way there is no way to "unlock" the computer. when you hit over 100mph in the 1/4 mile let me know!

Cause the New Can Am 3.3 that are being built have been dyno at over 300 Horse Power In the car. And have durability to match too.

BTW, I am pretty much the only one on this website, that has touched the motor. felt it run, listen to it run, and seen it raced several times. :music:

BigBen
02-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Sorry if i don't post often it's because i work a lot so i'll try to answer as many question i can. First i will most probably do some autocross cause where i live the race track w'ont allow me on the track with the trep. Second i will use a 3.3 for it's solidity since i don't want to rebuild 2 to 3 times a year, and for the tranny i'm currently searching how to fit it but if i can i'll be using an old audi tranny.Since they were using the same patern for the engine my biggest concern is to fit it to the engine and then be that the drive shaft will fit.