DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

EGR Valve: Anyone know . . .

957 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RCE2WIN 
#1 ·
. . . . if this faulty component is in anyway related to my horrible gas mileage (I get about 200 miles per tank). My "Check Engine" light came on, I scanned, and a Powertrain Code 0401 came up. Is it hard to replace? Or is it something I should leave to the pros? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
i got the same problem. one of these days when it gets warm i'm going to pull off the valve and tube and clean any gunk from it with carb cleaner and see if that helps. if it doesn't i will just get one from the junk yard and see if that works. does your check engine light flicker at all. if it does i talked to a few people and they suggested it might just have a build up and not be broken. before i changed my plugs to champion copper truck plugs from the originals with 71,000 miles on them i was only getting 180 mile to the tank. after with premium i am getting about 225-250 a tank. i think you can doit. in my chiltons its dosn't sound hard at all. if you can't doit then don't break anything you can put back on and take it some where to get it fixed. just a suggestion.

#3 ·
The world famous EGR.........
I had it fixed on my 95 for $327 bucks. The thing itself doesn't cost much, the labor is a lot because it is like all the way down there jammed in between the engine and the firewall, not easy to get to. Yes, the check engine light flickers because when the EGR valve breaks, it jams and gets stuck in either the open or the closed position. Definite signs of a broken EGR are really rough idle, (to the point where your bowels move), and 100 or so less miles per tank.

#4 ·
I did it myself. Cost was $125 for the valve and solenoid acuator and the time was about 3 hours. I have a tip sheet that I made for the DI.Net E-zine that never got off the ground. I deleted the document so the only known copy available would be from LHSer.

#5 ·
Replacing the egr is not that bad. There are 2 bolts to remove, you kind of have to do it by feel. A socket wrench can get back there, it takes some playing around to get the right feel. It took me 1/2 hour to complete. Of course, you could always disconnect the EGR tubes from the manifold and stick bolts in the 6 holes in the manifold, it is good for a short fix and to check to see if the egr is really the problem.

#6 ·
Great tips, you guys. Thanks for all the suggestions. It doesn't appear to be that difficult save for the firewall and the engine part, I'll set aside a few hours and see if I can do it. I didn't think at all about how spark plugs could affect gas mileage so drastically. Once again, thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.