DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

How to change headlamps in '95 Vision?

795 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  jcman311 
#1 · (Edited)
So I went down and bought a set of Sylvania Xtravision 9007s for my Eagle Vision because I read from Daniel Stern (the lighting guy) that these headlamps would improve the dismal headlights on this car. But looking at the lights, it seems like changing the bulbs is a b**ch!

So how many engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
Seriously, have any of you done this? Where do I start? I think the Eagle and the Concorde have the same headlamps. The Intrepid looks a bit different, although it may be the same mechanically.

Furthermore, I've read that removing screws may cause the thing to break, so if that's true, I may just wait until my bulbs fail.

Ideas???

============================================
After reading the responses from this and other forums I figured how to do it. I thought I'd write down the process here to help the next guy.

1. The headlamp assembly is removed from the car by unscrewing two outer T15 Torx screws (bright plating) from the top of each headlamp assembly.

2. However, they can easily pull the captive nut loose which is molded into the bottom of the assembly. Therefore, first spray WD-40 on the bottom captive nut and let it soak in for 10 minutes.

3. Now just remove the 4 screws.

4. Release the connector (carefully) blue blade (it is very brittle and can easily break) and pull it away from the bulb connection.

5. Uscrew the black ring and replace the bulbs.

6. Lubricate screws and captive nut with WD-40 and screw it back together.

The whole job took 10 minutes. It's easy once you understand it!

See less See more
#2 ·
My right bulb failed already I have to replace it asap so I am in the same boat. I just moved and my factory service manual is a box somewhere, I have to dig it up. Anyway at the very leas you're going to need some penetrating lube on those bolts to remove them otherwise you'll need new assemblies.

#3 ·
vision67 said:
Furthermore, I've read that removing screws may cause the thing to break, so if that's true, I may just wait until my bulbs fail.

Ideas???
Yep, welcome to hell. I completely destroyed my housings, which are now held in place with zip ties and cardboard jammed underneath. Soon, I will order new brackets and put an anti-seize compound on them.

#4 ·
I had the same problem on my Vision, I went to change the complete headlamp and the bolt stripped, tried the other one and strip. What I did was remove the whole light with the aiming frame around it from the aiming posts. There are three half round platic fasteners with three tabs (similar to the way some talight bulbs have to line up) I got a pair of needle nose and a screw driver and turned til the tabs lined up, then it just pops off. It's need really easy but it beats paying for new headlight brackets.

#5 ·
I did the same thing. I got new headlight lens and put nevercease in the screws, and only tightened then up a little tighter than snug. They still brock off. (after opening the hood and watching it slam down, dam struts):mad: But a little JB weld worked,:bigsmile: don't try model glue or plasctic glue, still tends to break free.

#6 ·
I hate the headlights on my '93, i know there was an upgrade, does any1 know what that consisted of and if i can get like '94-'97's on my car, i dont mind just replacing for new lamps, but i want to see improvement!! Also, are U.S cars WIRED for DRL'S, and if i wanted, could i not just buy Canadian lamps and put those on, or would i have to run the wire? I noticed in the fuse box that there is a place for a fuse for DRL's which leads me to believe that in the name of keepin it simple that maybe the wiring is already there, that i would just need the canadian lamps. I like the look of those DRL'S, but also, with the decrease in inner lamp size, does this make these even more worthless for night driving?? ANYONE with any knowledge, PLEASE answer in depth, thanx!!!

#7 ·
DRL's use 2 seperate bulbs like the 2nd gens, so you would need the euro/canadian housing for 2 bulbs. Then, you would have to and the relay under the hood and maybe some other wiring to the BCM. Talk to EuroVision993, I think he did it with his Chrysler Vision.

#8 · (Edited)
well, i guess he doesnt accept e-mails from here, poop!! If any1 knows eurovision, ask him to explain the DRL situation to me, thanx!!

#10 ·
jeez, you guys have all sorts of trouble. on my 97 the assemblies popped right out, no hassle. one clip kinda bent but it didn't break. headlights and foglights replacement took 15 minutes total and all i had was the owner's manual for reference.

#12 ·
:mad: my lights also broke when I tried changing the bulbs to brighter ones too! The damn tabs just snapped off , so I grabbed a handful of zip ties and did the best I could to hold them in place! This is after I almost got my head taken off from the hood falling down [ struts ] It only took a few close calls before I figured out I better put a stick in there !

#13 ·
FunkRider said:
My Canadian concorde uses one 9007 bulb.
Funk, do you have DRL's? If you do, then I bet that it still uses the high beam filament, just at a reduced wattage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.