DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Which tranny fluid is correct?

872 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  silver97trep 
#1 ·
I just got a 1994 Intrepid and I am considering doing a full flush B/C I have that bump stop thing. I know that service records indicate that a shop changed the fluid and filter in August, but after reading all of your posts I am starting to wonder if the shop used the wrong stuff. What is the correct fluid for my vehicle, and how much should the complete flush cost?
Thanks

#5 ·
FredB said:
Chrysler by TSB now wants +4 used in our trannys. Have your TCM software updated at the dealer. Tranny will shift better. If no external oil cooler installed, get one! Tranny will last longer.

FredB
Please expand on your comments. TSB? What would a TCM software update cost from the dealer?

#6 ·
Yes,a tranny cooler and a flush´n´fill with ATF+4 is always a good idea.

#7 · (Edited)
What would a TCM software update cost from the dealer?
Cost me like $35. WELL worth it. Completely kills the hard downshift.

Complete flush should run just under $100.

Get ATF +4. Its synthetic, and it lasts longer.

Make sure they completely change out ALL the fluid, including the fluid in the torque converter, and make them drop the pan/change the filter. The total job should require 9.9qrts of fluid. If its around 5 or 6, then they didnt flush out the torque converter.

#8 ·
Ok, I decided that I will do a fluid change w/ ATF+4. I called the mechanic and he said that even with the flush tool, they still can't get all of the fluid out of the converter! how are you guys doing the "complete" flush? If they only get about 6 quarts out, is it ok to mix the 2 fluids, or do I have to get it all out before I go to ATF+4?
Thanks again,
Chris

#10 ·
#11 ·
up4speed said:
I just got a 1994 Intrepid and I am considering doing a full flush B/C I have that bump stop thing. I know that service records indicate that a shop changed the fluid and filter in August, but after reading all of your posts I am starting to wonder if the shop used the wrong stuff. What is the correct fluid for my vehicle, and how much should the complete flush cost?
Thanks
I had the shift bump. I had the flash updated (45cdn) and added Wynn's trans additive. Also I had a trans leak. After a couple bottles of Wynn's (and a few others) a few months later it seems my trans is hardly if at all leaking now. The biggest thing the additive did was replenish my seals...last winter my car would not go into gear when below -5c. I had to let it warm up for 10-15 min (if -15-20c). Now it will go into gear right away at -24c (yesterday morning).

#13 ·
Tranny fluid...

Every tranny dipsticjk ahs the tranny number right on it (7176), that is why I am amazed when folks get Mercon/Dextron put into a Mopar tranny SHEEEZE!

I was leaking some tranny fluid fron the FRONT of my car. It was the hose from the tranny cooler. Answering a previous question...the cooler is small and does not hold a lot of fluid. Fluid easily drained from it and the hoses.

BTW The hose was an easy 4 dollar fix. I got the complete flush filter kit at 75k miles...well worth it at 105 $ US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.