DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Hi-beams

708 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Hypnos 
#1 ·
since my beams are to dim I have to use my hi-beams. Today when I turned my car off the highbeams stopped working. Only the low beams work!!! all fuses are fine couls it be the bulb:confused:

#2 ·
I actually had that happen, but only reversed, my high beams worked, but the low's didn't. There are 2 different filaments in those bulbs, and one of them probbaly just went out. It's nothing that a new bulb won't fix.

-bob

#3 ·
If both of your headlights don't have high beams then it's probably not the bulbs. It's probably the multi-funtion switch (turn signal, windshield wipers, brights, hazards). If it's one bulb that lost high beams, then it's definitely the filament for that bulb.

#5 ·
Have to agree with previous post:

If both lights are losing high beams it's your multi-function switch (not hard to replace, I've done it 2x). I also had this happen when the dimmer switch went bad. With that switch all kinds of weird things will happen. I would alternate from losing my brights to losing my lights altogether.

good luck

#7 ·
Sorry for the delayed response. I have to change my multi-
function switch for the 3rd time! (Happened to my wife last night)

This is from memory so pardon any mistakes:

1) remove neg battery cable and wait for 2 minutes (supposed to disarm airbags

2) Tilt steering wheel all the way up, remove the 4 screws from the bottom of the plastic casing (that wraps around the column)
They are a torx (??) head (if I remember right)

3) Remove bottom of steering column casing

4) Tilt steering wheel back up, remove top

5) There are 2 screws that hold the multi function switch. I can't remember what kind they are. Remove them. Remove the wiring harness (careful these things are plastic and sometimes brittle).
You'll need a small screwdriver (small blade) to lift the tabs

Check for cracking, melted plastic, etc (If so, replace wiring harness)

6) Reverse process to install.

Note here: If might be easier to remove the wiring harness and then the screws, I just can't remember.

#9 · (Edited)
I would double check fuses and bulbs before you change the mutifunction stauk.

Check the bulbs and fuse with a mulitmeter if you have one. Set it to DC resistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.