DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

ARGH!!!!!! If you're PS hose starts leaking...

746 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  mckellyb 
#1 ·
Just replace the whole thing, trust me on this. I took a hacksaw to mine, Sunday, and after buying even more 'manly' hose clamps, while I *did* manage to keep the hose couplers from blowing off, for a third time, I didn't manage to either keep the flow through the hose 100%, or maybe running dry for ten seconds was all the pump needed to 'give up'. Regardless, idle=not much power in the power steering. Revving it up to like, 1,500 makes the pump whine a bit, but it does work.

Needless to say, I'll be swinging by the Dodge dealer, today, to get a new hose, being as my 'fix', while it *did* fix the leak, made the car less useable. Not good.

Live and learn. I'd like to smack the guy who designed a rubber-encased metal pressure line. Just doesn't make sense, at least to me. Must keep *most* of the pressure in the metal, as it's *not* fluid-tight....

Now, to figure out how I'm gonna get a wrench on the rack end of that hose...man, that's a tight fit back in there...

Besides, that hose, two O2 sensors, and probably a new PS pump, our '95's 100K mile blues had better be over. Maybe I'll be putting those struts off....

Kelly B
'95 ES, 3.5, 108K mi, OEM tranny, rebuilt front-end, finally found rotors which *don't* warp...

See less See more
#2 ·
Update:

I called the 'online' Dodge parts place located up in Washington, 'bout $88, shipped, but it'll be the end of the week before I get it, as the Chryco parts warehouse doesn't drop ship. Dangit, they're *in* Portland, too (where I am, basically). Too long to wait. Local dealer can have it, tomorrow...$108. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Okay, better than hitting a tree, but still....

For grins, I decide to call the local Shuck's, as NAPA said it was a dealer-only part. Sure enough, they claim to have one, $32, and I'll have it tomorrow. Sure hope it's the right one. I asked if they had a return hose listed, as I didn't want the two confused. They do have a return hose listed, this one ain't it. My fingers are crossed, as 350% markup is highway robbery.... pun intended.

We'll see. Check back for more details, later....

Kelly B
driveway mechanic, garages aren't big enough, anymore... :-(

#3 ·
Final update, new hose from Shuck's looks to be a perfect match, O-rings and everything. Will know if the pump is shot, this weekend, but $32 vs. $108...well, the factory part doesn't have much of a chance.

So, if you need what NAPA claims is a 'dealer only' part, try Shucks/Kragen/whatever the other name is....

Happy wrenching...

Kelly B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.