DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Fellow first gen Concorde owner needs help

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gomer_canada 
#1 ·
tennant_neil said:
2 weeks ago I had to replace my water pump among with timing belt and oxygen sensor, I also had to flush my coolant system. Anyways I spent over 800$ for all the repairs but a week later I found out another problem : while stoping on red light or just holding a brake pedal I felt my car shaking more than normally and after that the "low oil pressure" light comes on and the engine just shuts down, when I turn it on again it works for 2-3 seconds and turns off again. I've been told that it could be due to the cold weather and not enough gas in the tank which gets frozen and does not go to the engine. But today was +5 and I filled my tank till full, the problem is still there. After standing for a while a car is drivable for a few minutes only and the whole thing repeats again, Please help ! Is this a gas pump? If yes how do I replace it?
tennant_neil said:
Just additional info about the previous post. A car has been standing for a day in the garage and just now I tried to see if the engine will start - and it won't at all. Before it could start and work for some time and then it would appear as it runs out of something now it won't even start. Does anyone has any ideas on what could that be? Could be it somehow related to the major repair I did previously including O2 Sensor, water pump, timing belt and flush of coolant system? :confused:
What check engine codes are you getting if any?

#2 ·
Thanks for posting my message here. My car is still not drivable for 3nd week in a row. The codes I was getting was 12 and 32 which I double checked in the garage for free with a scanner and it gave - P0401 EGR Low Flow, but the check engine light is not on. The thing is I am not sure what to do at this very moment - the car will barely start, and I have 1 more free towing left, if I bring it back to the garage where I was making the water pump repair I am sure they'll find a problem that will not be related to that repair, so I am looking for someone who knows cars better than I to be able at least to identify if it's somehow related to the major repair done recently because it is still on warranty. If not - I won't have a choice but if it is then at least that person can prove them better than I .

#3 ·
If it happened a week later and the car seemed fine when you picked it up it's probably not caused directly by the repair unless for some reason like LHSer said the timing belt is off location. If it was off location from the start I think you would have noticed a rough idle etc before. It is possible that your timing belt tensioner is weak and the belt skipped.
How many miles are the car?

#5 ·
The car is Chrysler LHS 1997 with 93 000 km. Since I bought it from a dealer 2,5 years ago I haven't done much excpet a regular oil change and a recent coolant flush. I know I will be needing to replace transmission oil and spark plugs soon..And 32 code showes EGR so I guess that will add to the list.

#6 ·
Finnaly decided to tow my car to the dealer to identify the problem. Before calling the towing I tried to see if the car will be able to drive out of garage by itself cause I live in the building and the car is parked on the lowest of 2 floors of the garage so I wasn't sure if the towing truck will be able to enter. That was the first time in 3-4 days that I started the car and to my surprise it did drive out by itself. After a small discussion with a towing guy he suggested one private garage instead of going to the dealer so I went there. The mechanic said it's a fuel pump, I am not really trusting but I have no choice. What if it's just a fuel filter or a smaller problem.. Anyways he's charging 350 $CND for a new pump and 75 $ for labor. I found a used one for 160 $with a 1 year warranty, tommorow they will deliver the part and I still have time to think about it, I need your opinion guys. Oh by the way - he said since you're ordering the part the labor will not be on warranty..:wink:

#7 ·
tennant_neil said:
I found a used one for 160 $with a 1 year warranty, tommorow they will deliver the part and I still have time to think about it, I need your opinion guys. Oh by the way - he said since you're ordering the part the labor will not be on warranty..:wink:
Yeah man, use the part that is being delivered. If the guy can give you his word that the fuel pump is the problem, then who cares if the labor isn't covered under the warranty.

#8 ·
1 more thing. It kinda seems odd to me that in 1 month my car is like exploided in troubles considering that before everything was fine for like a year. Also knowing the famous for it's complaints Canadian Tire, I am suspecting that they might have to do something with it. But honestly, even before my water pump went I was feeling my car shaking while holding brake on red lights or other stops other than that there was no anomalies. So I guess it was a sign even then, so I added a fuel cleaner. Apparently didn't help..

#9 ·
The fuel pump "may" be part of your problem, but I'm more concerned about the code 32(EGR) which isn't necessarily related. If an EGR component fails, then you'll have a lousy idle, and I suppose the car may not even start at all. A dealer can check the EGR solenoid for proper operation using a scantool, and the EGR valve itself may be faulty as well.

#11 ·
Yes , it was a fuel pump - it's replaced now, so far so good, only second day after repair. Now a question, I took a used one with 1 year warranty , not sure what was the millage on the used fuel pump but does anyone know what is the approx. life of fuel pumps ? And when do u have to change the fuel filter, in the maintenace schedule I didn't find ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.