DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Advice needed

648 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Djnrg 
#1 ·
I have a 99 Durango that I am trading back in on either a 97 LHS with 69K miles on it, in really good shape + $8,000 back. Or, a 99 Intrepid 2.7 SE with 45K miles and $5,880 back. What do you folks think?

#2 ·
in all your previous posts you said you had already sealed the deal trading the infamous Durango SLT for the Trep

so, what exactly is the truth?

With the way you continue to bash Intrepids I would suggest if you can get out of the deal that you keep the Durango and be happy with your poor milage. I'm sure the Durango forums will be happy to keep you as a member.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input, the deal has not been sealed. I never said I didnt like intrepids, I said I think people are foolish trying to make them go fast and handle like sports cars. big difference. Thanks again

#4 ·
i like my 99 trep SE... haven't done performance mods... but plan to.... could use a little extra HP... don't want a sportscar.

#5 ·
2.7s eat up crankshaft bearings sometimes at higher mileage. 97 was the best and last year of 1st gens. the 3.5 is nearly indestructable but you need to make sure that the LHS has had some of the mandatory 3.5 maintenance done to it at that mileage (timing belt/waterpump, fuel rail O ring recall, intake manifold gaskets).

#6 ·
Go with the LHS. You will get more money back, and you will have a lot more torque and "get up and go" with the LHS's 3.5 than the 2.7. (The LHS wasn't available with the 3.3 was it???) Just wondering WHY you think its foolish to make our cars look, handle and accelerate better? I mean, why supe up any car? Because you like it, and want to like it even more. Thats what I think anyways. Just because our cars are large doesnt mean they are slow, or can't handle well. I have lowered my 97 Sport with a performance suspension system and it handles VERY well, especially for the size of the car. Now, its no sports car, but I love the handling on it. With respect to going faster, there are members on the forum with some very nice mods to their cars. This includes exhausts, intakes, ignition systems, and turbos. These cars can go quite fast, but it just takes a bit more money, determination, and imagination to do so. Hell, if you had the money, god knows what you could do with a RWD, 6-speed manual, twin turbo setup!!!

Welcome to the boards. I think you will like the intrepid or the LHS, but if you want a bit more power, go for the LHS.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input, I drove it for a day and found that it had a slight coolant leak, the left quarter panel had been painted, it had "no name" tires on the front with decent tread but were at the minimum out of balance, shook pretty bad at 70 or so, some tapping from valvetrain on left head at idle, could not verify if t-belt had been replaced, mileage was at 69,675, gas mileage according to the trip computer after 430 miles was 20.1,and had a substantial amount of road noise from the left front area. All in all, not a bad car, just not quite what I am looking for. Plus wife liked the style of the second generation better.

#9 ·
Why is this in the first gen forum?

70k miles on a 99? Someone must of drove that thing a hell of alot. Doesnt your dealership have any other intrepids, or even 300ms?

#10 · (Edited)
The tap in the valvetrain is a common thing with the first gen 3.5L. There is a TSB (Technical Serivce Bulletin) about it, but to tell you the truth, it doesn't seem to be a detrimental problem to the engine. Sounds like it would be bad, but my 3.5 has the tap and it has sounded the same since I bought it 54,000 miles ago and I am not easy on the car.

The TSB specifies how to fix the problem, but it involves quite a bit of work.

About which car to choose,... I would probably go with the LHS cause the money that you will be saving will more than pay to fix what is wrong with it (ie. coolant leak, new tires...). On the other hand, if you are looking at it from the perspective of fuel mileage, then the Intrepid will do better. Those 2.7L engines can scream at high rpm. The lack of low end torque is the only problem.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!

#11 ·
Hey swartlkk, what exactly was the technical service bulletin on this powertrain tap? And what was the solution to it??? My engine does this when it is really cold, but not at any other time. I'm wondering if this is anything to worry about or not. I was looking on All Data.com, and didnt find much about a TSB on valvetrain tap. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.