DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Clunk gone, what about struts?

591 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Intrepidude 
#1 ·
OK. The sway bar end links took care of the clunk from the front end. Thanks for all the info (I'd been racking my brain for over a year on that one). It is appreciated...

Anywho...

When should one replace the struts (springs also?) Are there any telltale signs?

As info, I have a 97 3.5 with 200K that I have owned since it had 28,900K.

Thanks in advance for the info.

#2 ·
Excessive bouncing in front or rear would be one sign, also moisture under the strut boot would be another good clue. They say every 60,000 mi., but I go by ride and leakage.

#3 ·
These cars don't seem to bounce much (at least the early ES models) when the struts go bad. I tried that many times and it always returned to normal ride height almost immediately. The true test is how it feels on the road. If you notice your car blowing all over the place from cross winds or when large trucks pass you, then you probably need to change them out. I changed them out on mine at about 160,000 miles but they could have used them much earlier, possibly at 120. This is one of those things that you don't really notice how bad they are until you replace them. My car feels so much more stable now on the freeway and especially in the strong Texas winds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.