DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Diagnosing Tranny Problem & Code 66

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  qwk69buick 
#1 ·
I have scanned through the archives fairly thouroughly and have only a couple of questions left.

I purchased a '95 about 45 days ago and have noticed the following tranny problem twice (both times on the highway)- a sudden deceleration, like the end of a roller coaster ride. Is this problem different than "limp in" mode or should i still focus on replacing the two sensors.

I ran the codes with the key on/off procedure and a 66 fault code. there is a thread regarding the 66 code but it focuses on alarm system that the person installed and doesn't seem relevant to my problem. MNore specifically, what is the code and is it related to my tranny problem?

I also ntice the gauges don't power up every once in a while- when this happens they do engage after some short period of time without restarting the car.

I have only had the car in COLD weather so far.

#2 ·
CODE 66 = No messages received from Transmission Control Module / No messages received from Body Control Module. I would suggest replacing the two sensors

#3 ·
you are ahving computer problems. have your car diagnosed with a DRB scan tool, but DON'T pay the dodge dealer for new computers. get them from car-part.com and save yourself a couple thousand $$.

#4 ·
The body control module controls the gauges in 1st gens if I remember correctly, which could have caused your erratic gauge movement. And, loss of a signal from the tranny control module could definitely cause your driveability problems. It would seem odd though that both controllers went out at once though.

Could very well be that you're having bus communication problems--an open or short somewhere in the 2 wires that run between all the modules. And like 97SP said, whether a module has actually failed or not is hard to tell without a scantool.

#6 ·
Gauges go dead

All,

I'm new in this forum so let me know if I'm in the wrong place. All of my gauges go to zero every once in a while (if I bang on the top of the dash board they come back) and I'm getting a code 66. Are they related?

Could the 66 code be from a bad ground somewhere?

Thanks,
T-Part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.