DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

overheated and now it won't start!

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Ravin 
#1 ·
my 93 intrepid es 3.5L overheated today and as i was pulling into the parking lot stalled. I crakned on it a bit to get it into a stall and it woulden't fire back up so i pushed it into a spot and waited about an hour and a half and refilled the coolant resivour with water/ antifreeze and it still won't start. When i cranked in it it made a sound like a diesel and sook pretty violently. Evidently the hose connecting the fluid resivour to the motor has a hole in it and all my coolant leaked out causing the motor to overheat. After the motor was compleatly cooled it still won't turn. It didn't make the violent shake or sound but just won't start. All it does it that sound of the starter working its damndest to get the motor spinning. Any ideas on what i did, or what to do, i was planning on towing it over to my dodge dealer and having them run a diognostic on the thing and hope its nothing too serious.

#3 ·
anytime a motor overheats it's bad. i hate to say it but it dosent sound good. if it isn't siezed up you will still need a new waterpump, timing belt, piston rings. and maybe new pistons. it's sounds like you may need a whole new engine. how long were you driving it overheated?

#4 ·
#6 ·
Unfortunately, it could be very bad, but hope for the best. ;) Maybe the timing belt slipped a notch or two and everything is ok.

#7 ·
My intrepid overheated twice the first month I owned it.

Having lots of great experience with vehicles,I noticed the heat jump asap and pulled over Immediately and turned off the engine right away. The first time it was thought to be the waterpump, that was replaced and yes, it ran fine for all of 1 or 2 days after being fixed until it happened on the highway this time.. turned off as soon as I could and pulled over. Turns out it was a thermostat that was stuck!

I know how lucky I was, and am greatful that's all it was, but the thing is, the car could easily start back up after safely replacing the antifreeze.. (first time the antifreeze basically blew seemed to have blown out of this hole above the waterpump area, second time it shat out the overflow on the resevoir.. :D

#8 ·
it certainly sound like the motor is shot to hell. it would more than likely be easier to replace to whole engine rather than rebuilding it. plus i would look into gettin a new starter as well, they dont like to be strained like that and usally dont work to well afterwards.

#9 ·
i had it towed into my mechanic today and they delivered the news, evidently my water pump went, the timing chain followed. The car then overheated causing some sort of pully to melt inside the engine along with a couple seals. Hes confident that it can be repaired since the car was driven such a short distance while the problems were happening. Unfortunatly im out 1,000$ for the pleasure of hoping it will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.