DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1994 Intrepid Transmission problems

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  argus 
#1 ·
I bought a 1994 Intrepid in May 2002. The transmission finally started to give me problems. It will not shift into 3rd or Overdrive. I took it to a transmission place and they read the measurements, i.e. pressure, error codes, etc. They stated that the pressure was low on all 4 readings(couldn't name them if I tried) and that was causing part of the problem. I check the tranny fluid and it was up to snuff as far as level. I checked it several times and a couple of time there were air bubbles in the fluid. I was wodering if this is a sign of a major problem or something that a tranny flush and filter change could correct?

I have 206,000 miles on the tranny and the previous owner stated that the only problem that he had was rough shifting in HOT weather. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Houston Intrepid

#2 ·
Did you get the full tranny code readout at the dealer? My guess is there's not a whole lot of other tranny shops out there with the DRB III scantool, but a I may be wrong. They can read pressures, but may not be able to read the codes.

It could be a simple fix--the tranny solenoid pack needs replaced, or the input and/or output sensors on the tranny need replaced. They would know for sure by reading the codes.

Unfortunately, if you feel that may be the original tranny, chances are you're in for a major rebuild though.

#4 ·
I'm not sure what the DRB III scantool looks like, but the guy I took it to have a reddish, rectangular module, he put in the year, make, model, engine, etc, then hooked up to the car under the drivers side. It showed 4 pressures, along with some codes. I beleive there was a 3rd gear ratio mismatch and a 4th gear ratio mismatch. He stated that the pressures were supposed to be at or above 50, they were all around 25-29. The place I took it is Mr. Transmission. Any other input before I fork out a grand would be helpful.

Thanks,
HoustonIntrepid

#5 ·
Sounds like it may be time for a rebuild, but it never hurts to get a second opinion at another shop. If you need a rebuild, and it only costs you a grand, then you're coming out pretty good. Of course, try to get the longest warranty possible on the rebuild if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

#7 ·
Before you get it fixed, try resetting the computer to see if that helps. Back when mine "supposedly" went out, the tranny would shift great until the next time I turned it off, then back on again. I was told my computer was shot. All I did was change my fluid and filter in my garage and immediately had problems upon trying to back it out of the garage. When I started it up again a few minutes later, she drove smooth as ever. The next morning when I got in to go to work, the tranny wouldn't shift anymore. So I turned it off, got the wife out of bed and had her follow me to the repair shop. It drove fine all the way there. The next time I drove it was with the tranny rebuilt. Those SOB's pulled a $2500 quickey on me! I had 125,000 miles on it but I think it had a little more life in it. If you've got 200K on the original tranny, that's incredible!

#8 ·
I took in to the shop this morning. I was quoted 799.00 for the overhaul plus hard parts. The overhaul includes PCM firmware upgrade, TSB upgrades, PCM retrain, and I requested Mopar 7176 fluid. I think it's a decent deal and they have a good reputation.

206,798 miles when I dropped it off this morning. I'm hoping for another 100,000 or so. I can always dream.

HoustonIntrepid
Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.

#9 ·
HoustonIntrepid said:
I took in to the shop this morning. I was quoted 799.00 for the overhaul plus hard parts. The overhaul includes PCM firmware upgrade, TSB upgrades, PCM retrain, and I requested Mopar 7176 fluid. I think it's a decent deal and they have a good reputation.

206,798 miles when I dropped it off this morning. I'm hoping for another 100,000 or so. I can always dream.

HoustonIntrepid
Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.
Let us all know how it turned out!

#10 ·
OUCH!!!!

First thing out of his mouth... "Don't shoot the messenger."

$1800.00 = $700.00 labor/rebuild kit + $1100.00 hard parts

I basically get a new tranny minus the case. 1 year, unlimited mileage warranty. That is good for me, I average 150-200 miles per day, every day.

I'll post a detailed parts list later....

manfmmd

#11 ·
$1800 aint too bad considering that you're getting a decent warranty with it. :) Let us know how it works out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.