DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Transmission question?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  devzero 
#1 ·
I have a 1994 w/ 3.5L. When I slow down for a stopsign, then give it gas before I come to a complete stop it feels like there is some slack in the tranny. It kind of feels like it gets caught between gears, then bangs into gear. Does anyone know what this is? Is it maybe the same as bumpstop? I already did a tranny flush w/ATF +4 and checked the software (it is the latest version). Please help!!

#2 ·
Every Chrysler 4-speed I have owned has done this to varying degrees so some of it may be inherent to this design or to the computer controlled transmissions (BTW I had 2 Tauruses that did the same thing so it's not just a Chrysler thing) if it is excessive I would have a tranny shop take it for a test ride, however I am starting to believe this is how these tranny's normally behave...

#4 ·
I'm not sure if there is a label. The prior owner had the tranny changed at about 37,000 mi. When we hooked up the computer, the software was the latest version with a 1995 date (the car is a 1994 built in 1993) so I was guessing that they may have changed the TCM with the tranny, unless the updated software makes the computer say that it is a 1995 TCM. I thought those changes were supposed to fix the bumpstop, but it didn't. The only thing left is to pull the battery cable, and go through the tranny learning steps to re-program it to my driving style. Do you think that would fix it?

#6 ·
That issue is with alomst all overdrive transmissions, for some odd reason they tend not to shift down all the way and when u go it down shift cuz it notices it is in a higher gear. If u drive in the mode 3 u wont have this issue when u are driving in the city. Hope that helps your question :bigsmile:

#7 ·
We were having the same problem (harsh bump on rapid decel) on our '93 3.3 w/152K miles, and just got the PCM flashed and a full +4 fluid flush on Friday. In our case it worked great -- the car now drives more smoothly than most that I've ever owned. I took it out this morning and put the car through some windy-road acceleration and hard decel paces, and in both overdrive and "3" modes it ran smoothly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.