DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

EGR Valve?

968 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  driley43 
#1 ·
I've got a code 32.

Check engine light comes on after hard/long drives, and stays on untill the car is off.

I had really rough idle on cold starts, but i put in a full tank of premium, and havent had it since. When i had regular gas in it, it would also stall while driving. Hasnt done it again since the full tank of premium.

Questions:
I think i saw something about vacume lines when i was searching about this. My cruise control only works sometimes, and i also saw posts about vacume lines being the problem there too. Could there be a link? I have no clue what vacume lines even are.

Can a bad EGR valve cause perminant damage to anything? Can i wait to get this fixed? I think i can live with the bad gas mileage for awhile.

Is this something I could replace myself? I dont have alot of cash.

#2 ·
I haven't done the EGR replacement before. I think viprman did a while back though.

You probably don't want to let it go on too awful long. I suppose the rough idle can increase emissions and take its toll on the catalytic converter after a while.

#3 ·
I let mine go for several months until my emissions test was due. I fixed it the weekend before I had it tested. I noticed when I replaced the valve that the opening in the intake manifold where the EGR tube connects was clogged with carbon probably due to the two or three months of driving on a bad EGR. I think the fuel economy dropped a couple of mpg's too.

Most of the time it is the EGR solenoid that goes bad (EET). You cannot just buy that item as it is sold in conjunction with the valve itself. For about $125 and a couple of hours in the garage it is not too big of a deal. The hard part is working blind because you cannot see what you are doing back behind the engine. You have to work by feel. I removed all the inake plastic parts up to the throttle bodies to do this. Also, clean out any carbon deposits around the tube connections and so fourth.

#4 ·
I had mine go on me, and I must say, though not really expensive, it is a pain in the ass to do it. I had a mechanic do mine, and he looked like he wasn't having an easy time doing it. Total cost, for labor and parts, came out to be $327.xx, but that was more for labor than parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.