DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Precat sources?

627 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  95peeler 
#1 ·
Okay...first the background.

Driving into work on Monday, my 95 Intrepid (3.5) becomes VERY sluggish. So I take it to my local Midas shop (don't laugh...they have taken good care of me in the past). The guy says he hears bad noises in the pan, and says it's probably a bearing or something nasty, so he won't touch it.

Bull, I say.

So the next day, it goes to the dealer, who I usually avoid, because I tend to pay through the nose for their service. The dealer found a dead O2 sensor, which led to fouled plug(s). So he replaced it, put in new plugs and wires, and took care of some other unrelated stuff. And it's taking a day or two to get it all done.

Today, he calls me and says one of the precats is clogged, which is what led to the death of the O2 sensor. And he's quoting me over $700 to get it replaced. I basically told him to shove it.

So...this leads me to the question: Does anybody have any experience or knowledge with replacing a precat? Is it something I can get via the standard parts places, or maybe via a recycler? I figure if I can get one cheaply, I can get a local mechanic to install it for way less than Mr. Pricey Dodge Dealer.

Whaddya think?

See less See more
#2 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.