Car won't move when in gear, transmission issue [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Car won't move when in gear, transmission issue

gearpump
06-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I have a 2000 Intrepid ES. I pulled out of the gas station yesterday and heard a couple of clicking noises then the car went into neutral. I coasted to the side of the road and tried shifting it in to different positions to get it to go. No problem shifting but any position I put the shifter in the car still won't move, acts like it's in neutral. I think even in park it wants to roll like it is in neutral. Anyone suggestions on what to do from here would be much appreciated..

peva
06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I have a 2000 Intrepid ES. I pulled out of the gas station yesterday and heard a couple of clicking noises then the car went into neutral. I coasted to the side of the road and tried shifting it in to different positions to get it to go. No problem shifting but any position I put the shifter in the car still won't move, acts like it's in neutral. I think even in park it wants to roll like it is in neutral. Anyone suggestions on what to do from here would be much appreciated..If you hadn't said it wants to move as in neutral when in park position, it could have been some electrical/electronic issues. But since it can roll when the shifter is in park (purely a mechanical control), it would appear that something in the linkage between shifter and tranny either came loose or broke - possibly the cable popped off or broke.

Check for cable attachment at tranny end. If still attached at lever ball joint, then have someone move shifter while you observe the tranny input lever motion or lack thereof (or grab lever with your hand and see if you can move it). Probably easiest access of the the attachment at tranny input lever is from underneath, driver's side.

That's the starting point that will either identify the problem or elminate several of the most likely causes. Let us know how that goes and what you determine.

alleycat
06-03-2009, 10:55 PM
It's probably sumthin more serious - but check your fluid level. I hate to waver from what peva said, but I think that when my tranny was empty of all fluid, I had no park.... regardless, its easy to check. beyond that, if you have fluid (check it with the engine running) then dump the computer for codes and report back. if you are handy, then drop the pan. basically if you have no chunks or pieces in the pan it may be salvagable. if you have chunks or pieces in the pan (a layer of gray goo is fine) then its time to find a used/rebuilt tranny and put it in.

Daytrepper
06-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Along with the above mentioned, check for a broken CV shaft too, especially since it rolls in park.

Have someone get into the car and put it in drive, and have a look underneath and see if any of the axleshafts are spinning. Set the brake and chock the wheels as well while you are doing this.

dalpaul
06-04-2009, 11:15 AM
i will check cable linkage first, too.

as Park no longer function is a mechanical instead of fluid issue.

lametec
06-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Could be a CV joint came apart.

If not, then something in the diff or a broken output shaft.

I doubt it would shift itself into neutral if it was a linkage deal.

peva
06-04-2009, 06:30 PM
...I doubt it would shift itself into neutral if it was a linkage deal.Good point.

scudrunner
06-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi guys,

I have the same problem, going to N...
I'm sure it is not the tranny as when things are working
it acts normally.
I feel sure it is a computer/electrical problem but don't
what/which.

Symptom:
start up, won't go into gear (the dash may or may not
be working)
Solution: rev it up, eventually goes in gear

Symptom:
after doing that and moving, normally will be in ?? (1st
or 2nd) gear (although, sometimes it will shift normally)
Solution: put in N, rev to ~4k, put in D, sometimes
will go to D, others back to the lower gear.

Symptom: no dash
Solution: sometimes, turning the key off and on will
reset it and the dash (tach, speedo, fuel, etc.) will be
working, sometimes not, even after numerous tries.
(tranny may or may not be working after this

Sometimes, the dash will 'magically' appear...(have to
get off the gas immediately because I know it's going
to shift)

I guess my question is, how do you 'dump the computer'?
(dis. the battery doesn't work)

Can I go to the J-yard and buy a 94 computer, put it in
and have it work?

Or is there something 'electrical' that is bad that is screwing
up the computer?

Signed,
Clueless in Seattle
(well, I'm not really in Seattle, I'm just clueless! :)

peva
06-04-2009, 09:17 PM
SCUDRUNNER - You probably should start a separate thread. Your problem is not the same. His problem appears to be mechanical. It will take away from his issue to be talking about both in one thread.

scudrunner
06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
PEVA,

Thanks for the reply. Don't want to screw things up!!
(I saved it, thank god for little favors!! :)

Suggestions for the thread topic???
(i.e., if you were in my shoes)
Tranny Computer problems
Tranny Electrical problems
just Tranny Problems?

And, I hope you'll reply with all your knowledge after
I do!! :)

Thanks again

peva
06-04-2009, 10:19 PM
"Cluster intermittent, tranny shifting funny"?

gearpump
06-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Been busy and have not had a chance to really get into getting it back on the road, luckily I have a truck to drive. Anyway, I checked the linkage and it is fine. Great idea about the broke CV shaft. I will check that tonight. I called a transmission place and they said the would run it on the computer to see if it is electrical.

gearpump
06-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Could be a CV joint came apart.

If not, then something in the diff or a broken output shaft.

I doubt it would shift itself into neutral if it was a linkage deal.

The CV joints are fine, how do I check the diff and output shaft???

Charles_Scott
06-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Did the shop pull anything off of it? If you wanna check the differential, you need to pull the passenger side tire off, there is a huge bolt near the half-shaft going to the trans, that comes off so you can check your diff fluid, make sure it isn't burned up....

If I remember right, on the back of the transmission there is a plate that attaches to the transmission and transmission mount, that has to come off to check the shafts and the chain that transfers power between them... If I remember right....

lametec
06-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Checking the diff is easy enough. Jack up both front wheels. Leave tranny in park, engine off. Turn one wheel by hand. The other wheel should turn the opposite direction. If it does, the diff is fine (and so is the output shaft). Also try pushing the car when it's in park. If it can't be moved, then park works, which means the connetion between output shaft to wheels is okay (transfer chain, pinion, diff etc). If it rolls when in park, something is broken between the output shaft and the wheels (transfer chain, for example).

Does the solenoid pack make any noise (I'm sure you're familiar with the clickety-click noise they make when the transmission shifts) at all when putting the tranny in gear?

You can download the ATSG manual here. It should have all the info you'll need to diagnose it:

42LE ATSG service manual. (http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/ATSG_Transmission_Repair/ATSG_42LE_A606.pdf)

gearpump
06-24-2009, 09:00 PM
I took it in the shop and they took the tranny apart. They found that the rear plantem is broken.

Charles_Scott
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Yea, that will do it, see if they will also replace the front, cause when my front one went out, the rear went out a week after getting back... Greedy bastards....

Battleweary
06-25-2009, 04:09 AM
Thanks for putting the link to the manual!!!!

gearpump
06-25-2009, 11:25 AM
The shop said that the front looked really good, he thinks the tranny has been worked on before and maybe they replaced it then. Maybe that is why the rear went out like yours. I have had it two years. I let my son drive it on vacation last year and when he came back I noticed tread from the tires on the side of the car from where he was spinning out and pulling hole shots. His friend said he drove it hard. I am sure he caused it to fail early.
Thanks

lametec
06-30-2009, 10:15 AM
What's a plantem?

peva
06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
How many is a brazillian?