DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

crunching noise in steering

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  SoundAdvantage 
#1 ·
When my 94 intrepid is cold, it makes a terrible crunching noise when you turn the steering wheel. It sounds like it is coming from the firewall area. The car has 124k miles on it. It continues to make it when it is work but it is much less pronounced.

Thanks for suggestions.

#3 ·
I have the same thing when it gets near freezing my steering makes a crunching noise and the same thing in my dads New Yorker. He replaced the bar with the bushing (one piece from dealer btw) from the rack and still mkaes noise.

#4 ·
mine does the same **** homeslice..

#7 ·
My neighbors 96 Chrysler Sebring V6 is also doing it but more of a squil

#11 ·
Good, now when I have my new struts put on I don't have to have my mechanic look at my steering linkage system to tell me that it happens when it is cold.
BTW, I went with the KYB's that you all suggested and once I get them on I will report back on how they are doing and any improvements that I feel and notice!
Thanks!
Jeff

#12 ·
Mine does it too. Sounds like a seal is barking when I turn the wheel. Sux. Perhaps a healthy does of grease or something?

#13 ·
Yeah mine does that too...along with the wheel making a nice squeaking noise...it's mostly the cold...once it all warms up it works just dandy...did it last year too.

#14 ·
try this

same here-replaced the drivers side rack mount bushing, problem solved. yes, they say bushing not available. have to purchase the rack assy. not true---- just clean away the molded bushing from rack, get a tie-rod to rack bushing kit (24.95) reuse the metal inserts from the old bushing that you removed, cut 1/4 inch from insert stem, outer diameter of new bushing is correct but inner will have a little gap. cut a section of water hose clamp and bend to fit between the metal sleeve and the new bushing( two peices per bushing works fine) tighten bolts and drive. no noise now. this was a repair for drivers side only. pass side were still good. it's a little labor but a huge savings. always trying to beat the man!!!

#15 ·
My 94 sounds like it has Gremlins in the steering column when you turn the wheel it makes all kinds of strange sounds! It's my personal opinion but i believe Aliens designed Intrepids! The 2nd gens look just like one with the blackout kits over the headlights :alien:

Mike :mg:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.