DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Strange idle happenings, with "check engine light"

840 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  flowersc 
#1 ·
Ok, over the last two weeks, my car has developed a strange
shaking habit whenever I am at idle in park, or, when I am on the brake in drive. It gets a bit worse when I let off of the brake and just as I begin to roll forward. Over this past weekend, the check engine light came on. I took the negative cable off of the battery twice to reset, and to see if the light would come back on and it did.
Does anybody know what could be causing this to happen?

Some points to consider:

I know that one of the spark plug boots has oil dried about it on top of the engine. Meybe a misfire?

On the negative cable, there is a small cable attatched to it, and the wires from that have been broken from corrosion. There are only a few strands left. Would this contribute in some way?

The idle pulley wheel appears to be shaky and wobbly.

My idle rpm has dropped from about 900 to 500 in the last two weeks.

Any advice or suggestions would help. I will have to bring it in for sure, but now I am dreading what this could be. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Could this be that intake manifold gasket? Or the EGR valve?
The car runs fine when you accelerate. I am anxious to get it looked at. I fear major $s will have to be spent. Not good.

#3 ·
My car has a bad EGR valve. On cold starts it will struggle to keep runing, and sometimes even stall. After the engine was warm, the rough idle went away, but it would still stall at low rpms while driving. Check engine light comes on after a few miles of driving.

Check for codes(see the howto), see if you get a 32. If you do, put a full tank of premuim in your car untill you get it fixed to almost kill the rough idle.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I suspect it has something to do with my idle. The car doesn't seem to be running rough outside of idle. At any rate, the check engine light is coming on. I will get it checked out by the end of the week. The only other thing I can think of is that I switched from 93 octane to 87 last week. But I recall it was doing this bounce thing before then. I am just worried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.