DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

3.5 (or 3.3) windage tray

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  wo23dodge 
#1 ·
hey all, happy new year and all that junk (its good being alive).
question for those who know...does the 3.5 for our years have a windage tray? or any 1st gen motor... ive never pulled the oil pan, so i dont know. thanks!
(i did do a search of the site, but i just want to hear for sure in a response)

#2 ·
The 1997 3.5L does. I had it off two months ago.

#8 ·
ESMIKE96, It's a "cover" for the oil pan. It goes between the spinning internal engine parts and and the oil, reduces the amount of oil being slung around (at whatever RPM). It also helps (a little) to keep oil around the pump pick-up during hard braking and acceleration, probably for cornering. Like putting a lid on a filled bucket, sort of ;-)
The 3.5's have them as did many hotass V8s back in the day. Mopar was apparently fond of them. I've seen many OEM windage trays on the V8s, esepecially the HPs.
It does rob horsepower to sling the oil around even if just a little. In an engine as small as a 3.3 I'll take the ponies where I can find them - even if I have to smoke 'em out.

Boron-X

#9 ·
Boron-X said:
ESMIKE96, It's a "cover" for the oil pan. It goes between the spinning internal engine parts and and the oil, reduces the amount of oil being slung around (at whatever RPM). It also helps (a little) to keep oil around the pump pick-up during hard braking and acceleration, probably for cornering. Like putting a lid on a filled bucket, sort of ;-)
The 3.5's have them as did many hotass V8s back in the day. Mopar was apparently fond of them. I've seen many OEM windage trays on the V8s, esepecially the HPs.
It does rob horsepower to sling the oil around even if just a little. In an engine as small as a 3.3 I'll take the ponies where I can find them - even if I have to smoke 'em out.

Boron-X
funny my pressure drops on 80mph to 25 mph braking.

#12 ·
the main function of the windage is to keep the spinning crank from coming in contact with the oil,spinning through the oil creates a drag on the crank therefor robbing the engine of power.
When the light turns green and you punch it where does all the oil go? to the back of the pan but it doesn't stop there,it starts to ride up the back of the pan and right in the path of the crank,same on a hard stop by not nearly as important then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.