DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

My idle problem found: Misfiring.

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  flowersc 
#1 ·
Got my car back from the shop last night. Turns out I have a simple misfiring in the plugs and possibly the wires. Going to have them all replaced - including those o-ring like things. Should do the trick.

#2 ·
flowersc said:
Should do the trick.
I hope it does, bro. It still could be a leaky intake gasket though. Those have been known to cause lean conditions in the combustion chambers (especially cyl #5 on our engine) and then it causes a misfire. Could they tell which cylinder is misfiring?

Good news though--new plugs cured my misfire problem last year. Turned out my ignition didn't like the platinum plugs I was using.

#4 ·
Hmmm. I will ask him to check that intake gasket too then. As long as he is in there. But, if the plugs and wires are what he thinks is the problem, I will stick with that. I am lucky because my mechaninc is actually an honest type. He is pior Navy ( I am currently enlisted) and knows were I am coming from. Also, he is good for getting you out in the garage with him and showing you the problem. The first time he made me go out there with him, I reluctantly replied, "oooookaaaay". It was strange ya know? Most mechs keep you in the waiting room like an expecting father. This guy was showing me my bad strut, and actually made me stick my hand under the right rear well so that I would get the grease from the strut on my hands. "No, no..right under there" Had me look under there with a flashlight as well. It was then I realized that, although a bit annoying, at least this guy wants you to be a part of the locate-and-repair process. Still, seems a bit strange. The guys seems to be pumped about his profession. He has that "I found it, I found the problem!" thing going on. :dozeoff:

#5 ·
He said I could drive the car until he can tune it up this coming Tuesday. I hate driving it while it runs a bit rough though.
Makes me nervous.

#6 ·
I have brought up the spark plug rings a few times. One of the spark plug boots has oil dried all around it on top. I am going to have my mechanic change those rings or whatever the trep uses. I have read that these develop oil, a hallmark of the 3.5L right? I need to check in about those fuel rails too. I don't know if mine were ever replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.