DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

95 Tranny probs similar to Aviation's thread

832 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  i970grancoupe 
#1 ·
About a month ago the transmission return line (runs almost parallel with the u shaped frame) popped off my 95 3.3 Intrepid.
I drove it about 3/4 of a mile round trip. I reattached the return line and made sure all the hose clamps were tight. Added 4 quarts (according to the manual). When the transmission warmed up it wasn't registering on the dipstick. I figured one of two things: 1) The dipstick wasn't the original (the car was a wreck I bought) 2) The people that wrote the manual couldn't be wrong. I drove it about 3 weeks and the only thing it would do was have trouble going from R to D when it was cold. I eventually added the fluid until it registered on the dipstick where it was supposed to be. Drove it a few days like that with no problems. Then one afternoon it won't shift above 2nd or 3rd gear. Put it in R and backed up into a parking space at a gas station and then it drove fine.

Is this the limp in mode? If I remove the neg battery cable and reset the computer will it take it out of limp in mode?

Again, thanks for any input.

#2 ·
It sure wouldn't cost anything to reset the computer. Unplug the negative cable and let us know what happens!

#3 ·
Yep, it's the "limp" mode if the only forward gear available was 2nd.

Disconnecting your battery won't reset the tranny control module (TCM) error registry. However, turning your key off and on will allow the TCM to go back to its normal shift schedule.

If it immediately goes back into limp mode, then you'll need to go to a dealer to get the error codes from the TCM. Something is definitely wrong.

Btw, fluid level of course is going to be critical in any auto tranny. Maybe a fellow 3.3 owner can show you a pick of their tranny dipstick so you can be sure yours is the correct one.

#5 ·
It won't reset the TCM...but it will let it go back to its' initial state. When I had that problem (with my last tranny :mad: ), I could often turn the car off, restart it, and be happily on my way. Of course, the problem got worse, and eventually the tranny died completely.

#6 ·
been there- done that

had same prob. with mine. change the trans filter and fluid. be absolutely sure to use only mopar filter and mopar atf fluid! other brands of fluid will not perform correctly. this is a must. go ahead and remove the positive terminal while servicing the tranny. not sure that resets the comp. but it worked for my 145,000 mile intrepid. 96 3.3, has 158,000 now and going strong. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.