DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

RMP Not Working

523 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  argus 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I left my lights on yesterday for about 6ish hours, The battery was dead so I decided to charge the battery, hooked it all up and let it charge. Well when I went to start it, it fired right up so I let it run for a while thinking everything was A.O.K, I programmed my stereo again and then shifted into drive. Well sure enough my MPH were working just fine but my RPM wasn't going anywhere, its just below the 0. So I turned the car off thinking it just needs to be started a few times, well when I turned it off and took the key out, the RPM dropped like it the needle was pointing STRAIGHT down..... I'm a bit worried but the car runs just fine. I was thinking possibly I need to unplug the battery again to reset everything but I don't know, please let me know as I'd like to keep my baby in prime condition.

Oh and along with it my Defroster doesn't work now either, and my cruise control will run for a little while then turn off on me ( but its been doing that for quite some time now )

Thanks ahead of time,
Felix

#2 ·
It seems like the same thing happened to another member here recently. I think he had to remove the gauge cluster and rotate the cluster so that the needle fell back to where it belonged, and then it started working again.

If that doesn't do the fix, then I believe the crank sensor is responsible for reporting the engine rpm, but a bad crank sensor typically will cause your MIL to illuminate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.