DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Oil Light !!

669 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  94IntrepidES 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 95 Intrepid and have a strange problem. Last year around february I had my oil light come on and started hearing bearings rattling in the engine. I pulled over and got a family member who has some mechanical knowledge to look at it. He said that there is a screen filter just inside the oil pan that was probably stopped up and needed cleaning. He drained the oil and used some sort of spray inside the pan to clean the screen off. He then changed the oil and the filter and the light and and noise stopped emediatly. I went a whole year without a single problem and just last December had it happen again. I just changed the oil and filter out and the problem stopped again. Well just about two days ago I had the light come on but this time it went on and off and has yet to stay on. I was hoping someone here might have some info on what to do to or how to prevent it from happening again. I don't know that much about car engines but if someone explains how to fix it I am sure me or a friend can do it.

#4 ·
Are you using a Fram Filter? If you are, replace it with a Puralator, Motorcraft, Mobile 1, Napa Gold or Wix.

#5 ·
mark64 said:
Are you using a Fram Filter? If you are, replace it with a Puralator, Motorcraft, Mobile 1, Napa Gold or Wix.
Any particular reason for that recommendation? I use a Fram X-2 and have no problems...

#6 ·
#7 ·
Thanks for the info... I'll use the two Fram's I already have for my wife's car! :D I'll go get a Pure One for me!

#8 ·
i'd use a purolator or a mobil 1 filter (if you can find it). these seem to be two of the most readily available good filters around. the purolator i think is 2.49 at sears or something...not too bad.

#9 ·
I used to be a big FRAM guy too no matter what all those studies showed and such. Have used FRAM's on all of our cars since the early 70's (yes I wasn't born yet but my dad used it on our Charger, truck, etc) and had not one problem with them. The teflon fram's is a bad idea in itself. Dupont itself doesn't even recommend having their teflon in your engine so don't go there. I had been using the Fram's on my 3.5 and just recently decided to try a Purolator. The Purolator for sure allows the car to build a lot more oil psi (I have an oil psi gauge if your wondering). Yes its not just cause the oil is new and I'm comparing it to old oil, the pressure is easily higher and sustained with the purolator. I'll see how high that psi lasts and post again soon. What's scary is I hardly ever post unless its really something useful as this. If the damn snow and cold weather go away I could do all my mods and post them!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :baaa: So far I realize this post might not be doing jack at all for you Intrep95. You probably either have the "oil pump" wearing out on you. I put it in quotes cause its not a true pump in the sense of the word and there is a oil pump screen. You probably either have a pump going out a slow death, clogged screen, or a clogged valley (to understand the true effects of this ask all the 2.7 owners with big paper weights). Hence after you change the oil its fine since the psi is going to be much higher with beautiful dinosaur parts in it. Your best bet is to try the following. You can do the "flush" some shops do where they run a machine onto your car pumping oil through it non stop to "flush" all the oil valleys and break up any crude or blockages (sorta like a Michael Jackson medical procedure). Try that and run some new oil and a purolator and see what happens. That oil light doesn't come on till like your under 5 psi or something if I remember. If your problem doesn't come back in 3 to 4k miles your probably fine. If not, I say its time for an oil pump and a new screen.

#12 ·
Hahaha, its been a while for sure Grant. I honestly could not tell you if it's even been in the past 6 months. I have to check and see to be honest, at this point I'm sure Axle has my entire posting career on here tracked down and printed out. :tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.