DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Overheating umm...help?

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  trep'nitup 
#1 ·
Alright this may not make sense due to the fact it is almost 4 in the morning but here i go Drivin my car today normal city driving( stop and go didnt go over 50) then all the sudden i look at the temp guage and wow its pointing to H so i throw her in neutral shut her off and stear it into a parking lot got it towed home and discovered it needed about a gallon and 1/2 of antifreeze so i throw that in there and start her up running good then the temp needle is horizontal (halfway) goes just a little higher then antifreeze starts comming out of the hose from the (overflow bottle) where the cap is and just dumps onto the ground after it does this for a few seconds BOTH fans then turn on and the leaking slowly stops then the fans shut off after a couple of minutes it does this about 2 more time till i decide doing this at 11pm in the dark isnt gonna solve much so i stop and take my truck out for the night now my questions 1. what would cause it to flow out of that hose 2. is that hose which the antifreeze is comming out of just supposed to lead to nowhere 3. isnt one fan supposed to turn on before the other and not at the same time 4. WHY DIDNT I RE-NEW MY WARRANTY (just ended about 600 miles ago) and also every once in a while when i was stopped in traffic my heat would just blow out cold air start movin down the highway again and it blows hot been goin on for the last week and a half... maybe because i was missing a gallon and 1/2 of antifreeze and if i didnt say this already i got a 97 intrepid 3.5 thanx 4 the help bed now

See less See more
#2 ·
1. it overflow...it's was either overfilled or the fluid expanded from the engine being so hot....normal.
2. the hose is supposed to run the fluid on the ground.
3.the fans came on at the same time cause you motor was overheated. normally one at a time when not over heated.
4.because you warranty dosent cover the stuff you really need. :D

these are my answers .feel free to add or edit. :)

#3 ·
nightravin13 said:
1. it overflow...it's was either overfilled or the fluid expanded from the engine being so hot....normal.
2. the hose is supposed to run the fluid on the ground.
3.the fans came on at the same time cause you motor was overheated. normally one at a time when not over heated.

1. engine being that hot... not normal
2. well thats just stupid
3. motor wasnt over heated when i was checking to see why it over heated in the first place so both fans shouldnt have turned on at the same time

#5 ·
Another possibility is the overflow cap. I've heard the springs in those tend to get weak overtime, and perhaps release pressure too early.

#6 ·
alright i woke up around 11 and got out there topped off the antifreeze again started it up waited for it to warm up loosened the bleeder to get the air out and it runs fine now both fans dont turn on at the same time now 1 will then the other a minute or 2 later so all is good drove it around town for about a hour no problems also installed a K&N air filter which has no noticable change but its just an air filter, i didnt think it would

#8 ·
I've seen the intake manifold gaskets leak after about 100k on the 94 3.5's. If a water pump is failing, it will leak also. This will cause an over heat situation. The reason I mention this is because of your cold air heat problem. When that happens, your low on antifreeze. Also, the only time both fans should be on is if the engine is really hot, or if the AC or defrost is running. Other than that, the one fan is capable of handeling the cooling needs of the engine.

#9 ·
Had the same thing happen to my 3.3. Ended up being a loose connection in the engine fan.

#10 ·
You can tell if it's a stuck thermostat by checking to see if your heat works. If you're getting cold air with the heater on full blast, that means the coolant isn't circulating and not getting to your heater core. Open that bleeder valve and see if that fixes it. If not, replace the thermostat. If you're still getting air in, there's a leak in the system somewhere.

#11 ·
My car has been running sort of hot lately too, and doing so while I am in stop and go traffic on the highway. The needle gets on the middle mark and/or slightly over the middle mark on the temp gauge, and the fans kick on. So, the fans work, I am getting hot air from the vents - so what the hell? Meybe I need to work that bleeder thing? Or replace the cap on the reservoir?

#12 ·
yah it sounds like a thermostat to me. That is exactly what happened to my car. It is easy and cheap to fix yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.