DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

codes

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  argus 
#1 ·
I got this code and located the following info....

11 No ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad Hall effect) OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; OR loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Can cause the engine to stop working entirely with no limp-home mode.

and....

24* Throttle position sensor over 4.96V (SEE NOTE #3)
Matt Rowe comments: The throttle postion circuit tells the computer how far the accelerator is depressed. The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is on the throttle body on the opposite side of the throttle cable. The connector should have a round rubber cover over the connections. Clear the fault codes, start the car and try jiggling the wires/connectors to try to trip a fault code. Loss of this signal could cause other problems.

question 1...is the camshaft/crankshaft sensor simply one sensor?
question2.....would the TPS cause stalling as well?

Anyone shed more light on this to a guy with more money than know how

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
cardriverguy said:
question 1...is the camshaft/crankshaft sensor simply one sensor?
question2.....would the TPS cause stalling as well?

Anyone shed more light on this to a guy with more money than know how
1) Nope, they're separate. I recommend the Haynes manual. It's a pretty easy read and will tell you where to find these and how to check them I think. I honestly don't know where they're located on the 3.3L.

2) My guess would be yes. And it would likely cause erratic shifting too since the TCM bases some of its shift points on actual speed vs TPS position.

edit: just wanted to add, don't blow a lot of money on sensors unless you verify they are bad. You'd be surprised how fast you can empty a wallet on these cars. :p

#3 ·
Yes I have had erratic shifting as well....for which I had a tranny flush and new filter....oh well couldnt have hurt I guess....Thanks

PS I revisited my codes and realized I was reading them wrong....so the codes I spoke about yesterday were all wrong.....it takes some getting used to all those flashes...bad university

#5 ·
cardriverguy said:
Yes I have had erratic shifting as well....for which I had a tranny flush and new filter....oh well couldnt have hurt I guess....Thanks

PS I revisited my codes and realized I was reading them wrong....so the codes I spoke about yesterday were all wrong.....it takes some getting used to all those flashes...bad university
Yep tranny filter and flush is almost always a good thing. ;)

Yep on the codes too. The pauses can be confusing at first.

#6 ·
cardriverguy said:
maybe a dumb question....... but how do you tell if a sensor is bad??....yes I know the TPS cost me 68 bux Can today....so thats like 10 bux American
Some sensors you can do resistance checks, some you do voltage checks while operating, and some you even have to use a scantool to cycle them and check them. It really depends....

Btw, that was a "smart" question. Just sorry I couldn't give you a more definitive answer. I haven't had to go on a sensor chase yet myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.