DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

weird cooling fan problem

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  OneSpecialM 
#1 ·
OK, here's the deal:

I jumped in my car earlier to run to the liquor store real quick, and when I started the car, both of the fans up front went on full blast, as if it was 95 degrees and the A/C was on. It was about 40 degrees, and I had not previously started the car all day. The fans stayed on the whole time I was driving the car, and stayed on even when it warmed up. Anyone know what caused this? It IS kinda wet out today, a slight drizzle...so I was thinking maybe something shorted out..

The car is a 1995 ES, with the 3.3liter motor.

Any ideas? Anyone experience this before?

#2 ·
My 3.3 does that sometimes too, they run full blast for about 5 minutes than shut off. And the worst part is it got down to -20degrees the other day and guess who was running when I fired my car up?? The worthless fans!!! I'd like to see if anyone knows the answer to this?!

#3 ·
MY 96 3.5 also does this sometimes when it rains. I just assume that the water is shorting out somewhere, maybe at the ac transducer connection. The PCM will activate the high speed fans it it thinks the pressure is high on the compressor discharge line. The transducer is a good location the get wet in rain.

#6 ·
Maybe if you have the Auto. climate control, it was because of the compressor. If you notice, when the temp outside get around 30 something, the compressor light goes out on the panel. The only way to keep the compressor from accually being on during winter driving is to turn it on and then back off. I bet the fans don't run after that. OF course mine did the same thing you speek off. Not too much more though. *shurgs* WHo knows.

#7 ·
It is true that in "Auto" mode the compressor logic is enabled.

But, the compressor can only run when the temperature of the evaporator probe is greater than35 degrees F, and cycles back off at the freeze point. This is why it rarely would activate below 30 degrees outside temperature or so....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.