Cold Hissing Brakes?? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Cold Hissing Brakes??

regulator
03-03-2003, 01:43 AM
When it gets really cold here in milwaukee, my brakes make this air hissing sound when applied for the first few minutes of operation. I ran a search and came up with nothing here...
Whats going on here??
I have NEVER heard about this on any other cars.

Axle
03-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Could be it's time to bleed your brakes.

crombie
03-03-2003, 02:36 AM
Could be that your brake pads are getting worn... When was the last time that the pads were changed on your 99?

Axle
03-03-2003, 10:26 PM
Oh, found something out here, there could be a chance that snow had gotten onto your brake lines somewhere, and then melted, and when it froze back up, it damaged the brake line, and so, when you apply pressure, the hissing sound is made.

regulator
03-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Ok first off, I want to thank you guys for replying to my post, but #1 I do not believe it is worn pads because it only happens when it is really really cold.
#2 The line isnt damaged bc like I stated before they work fine on a daily basis, but until they get warm (10 mins) they make noise.

The sound actually comes from inside the car, below the dash....
it sounds like someone is taking an air hose and blowing air. This has to be the wierdest thing that has ever happened in my car as of yet.

Rich Benner Jr
03-04-2003, 07:52 AM
Probably noise from your brake booster. My 95 Intrepid does that sometimes. I have never had a problem from it. If you are worried, check the large vacuum line that goes to the brake booster and make sure it is not old and rotten or bad in anyway. If you are unsure, replace the rubber hose. That is my experience.

Good Luck

kesh
03-04-2003, 09:43 AM
my car was doing that a few months ago...i had it check at the dealer and they didnt find anything. it hasnt done it since though so i havent worried about it.

accr122
03-04-2003, 02:41 PM
That ususally happens to me when the car is parked overnite, where IMO water condensation/rust formed a bit on the braking disc?! So when you brake, it kinda scrap off the rust.

I'm quite sure it's rust, coz once I parked it outside for a few rainy days... where the front brake disc kinda turned orange. But it looks normal again after applying a few brake while the car is moving.

Hope this helps.

Warlord187
03-05-2003, 12:31 AM
If you haven't tried already, next time it happens (and you don't need to be moving) apply the brakes several times in a row with only a second or two in between applications. Do the same thing when it gets warm and see if there is any difference.

jamesstacy
03-08-2003, 05:13 AM
My 99 Es is doing the same thing, is your brake pedal hard as a rok at that time, i talked with my local dealer i know the owner and they had 4 people call with the same problem they are saying the brake boosters are getting moisture in them and freezing , anyone else hear he samething

regulator
03-08-2003, 04:11 PM
FINALLY someone else is feeling my pain and I would put money that that is the problem.....Sounds like it is coming from right there above the pedal.....Let me know what they get you to fix it...

jamesstacy
03-09-2003, 09:10 PM
I e mailed dodge on this booster issue just to see what they will say i wasnt to nice about it ill let you all know what they say

jamesstacy
03-10-2003, 08:34 PM
This is my response i got back from Dodge I think everyone having this problem should e-mail them and let them know they have a problem that should be dealt with a Dealer wants almost $400.00 dollars just for the booster-Dear James,

Thank you for your recent e-mail to DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation regarding this brake concern.

Records indicate this vehicle is not involved in any outstanding factory recalls related to the brake system.
If your vehicle is involved in any future recalls, a notice will be sent to your postal address. Please contact us with any future changes of address.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to review this matter with you.

Have a good day.

Genxcat
12-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Did anyone ever get a resolution on this? I am having the same problems. The outside temp was cold, so the car was a bit cold as well.

It does sound like an air line hiss under the dash, above the pedals.

I am going to call my dealor this afternoon, and ask them if they know anything.

Warlord187
12-12-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Genxcat
Did anyone ever get a resolution on this? I am having the same problems. The outside temp was cold, so the car was a bit cold as well.

It does sound like an air line hiss under the dash, above the pedals.

I am going to call my dealor this afternoon, and ask them if they know anything.

See my question above.

Oh, and make sure the engine is running. You don't have to be moving.

Genxcat
12-15-2003, 01:51 PM
Ok, it has not done this again since I first posted. It hissed for 2 days, and now, nothing

I will try that technique when next it repeats the problem.

My local dealor was about as helpful as I thought, with the responses that I have seen here. They have not heard of this problem before either. Their solution is to bring the car in when it does it, and since it has not repeated...I have not been in yet :)

To0nUtZ
12-18-2003, 10:37 AM
My car is doing this too..I havent crawled under the dash yet..But Im picturing some type of vacuum hose attached to the brake pedal assembly..being mishapen when cold..and allowing a vacuum leak.. I could be wrong......might be the booster..I do know the brakes feel odd when its doing it...kinda get sucked down when I apply them

Snowball
12-19-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by regulator
FINALLY someone else is feeling my pain and I would put money that that is the problem.....Sounds like it is coming from right there above the pedal.....Let me know what they get you to fix it...

FYI, I just experienced this hissing sound a few minutes ago too.

To0nUtZ
01-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Brakes were real bad and messed up this morning...they act weird and sensitive when they are hissing...seems like it would be a safety issue to me...I may report it to transport canada

To0nUtZ
01-25-2004, 07:30 PM
No follow ups ?????

Snowball
01-25-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm experiencing it more and more often with these extreme cold weather we've been experiencing but I didn't notice a loss in performance though (yet).

Javman
03-31-2005, 06:24 PM
My '01 Trep has done that too.Again when it is cold and dry out.
Sounds like air brakes, but it is from under the dash

Jav

redmuzick
04-01-2005, 01:55 PM
It is the brake booster. A brake booster Works like this. Its like an intertube. When you apply the brakes it draws air from inside car above the brake pedal. A vaccum from the engine draws on one side and the presure you put on the pedal opens a one way valve and lets normal atmospheric pressure into the booster creating a softer brake feel. Someone said it on this thread that if it is rock hard then your booster isnt working. Bassically it makes putting on your brakes a lot little easier. So I dont exactly know what is making the hissing but it sound normal. Press the brakes after you turn it off afiew times. That will give you an idea of how it feels if the booster isnt working. After you do that then keep your foot on the pedal and start the engine. The pedal should go down and give a his.

redmuzick
04-01-2005, 02:02 PM
I found this on http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake.htm ckick the links for pics.

If you've ever opened the hood of your car, you've probably seen the brake booster. It's the round, black cannister located at the back of the engine compartment on the driver's side of the car.

Back in the day, when most cars had drum brakes, power brakes were not really necessary -- drum brakes naturally provide some of their own power assist. Since most cars today have disc brakes, at least on the front wheels, they need power brakes. Without this device, a lot of drivers would have very tired legs.

The brake booster uses vacuum from the engine to multiply the force that your foot applies to the master cylinder. In this article, we'll see what's inside the black cannister that provides power braking.

I also found a break down of a booster. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake1.htm

The Vacuum Booster
The vacuum booster is a metal canister that contains a clever valve and a diaphragm. A rod going through the center of the canister connects to the master cylinder's piston on one side and to the pedal linkage on the other.

Another key part of the power brakes is the check valve.

The photo above shows the check valve, which is a one-way valve that only allows air to be sucked out of the vacuum booster. If the engine is turned off, or if a leak forms in a vacuum hose, the check valve makes sure that air does not enter the vacuum booster. This is important because the vacuum booster has to be able to provide enough boost for a driver to make several stops in the event that the engine stops running -- you certainly don't want to lose brake function if you run out of gas on the highway. In the next section, we'll see how the booster works (and check out a cool animation!).

Next Page >>

peva
04-01-2005, 05:00 PM
...Press the brakes after you turn it off afiew times. That will give you an idea of how it feels if the booster isnt working...Another little experiment that will amaze you: With partial throttle (such as going up a hill), pump the brakes 2 or 3 times. By the 3rd time, you will have no brakes (that's with the accelerator pedal held steady just enough to maintain speed up the hill). That's because with the throttle open, vacuum drops way down, and when you pump the brakes once or twice, you deplete the vacuum stored in your booster - and there's no vacuum from the engine to replenish it (until you close the throttle, i.e. release the gas pedal). Try it - like I said - you'll be amazed at how little reserve brake power you have.

73dodge
04-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Okay I just had this problem.

It is the brake booster. I replaced mine and here's what I found.

The hole that the master cylnder connects to where it attaches to the Brake booster in side is a small rubber boot. This hole was rusted and the rubber seal was ripped. This caused a vacum leak and the brake pedal was hard like a rock when I pushed it. It did clear up after it warmed up because the rubber got warm and sealed the rip in the rubber seal.

I replaced the booster. It is not too bad to replace it took me a total of 3 hours to do. You will have to be a contorshonist [sp] to get under the dash but get a socket and a long extension and you will be able to get at the 4 bolts that hold the brake booster to the firewall. But before you do that you need to unbolt the master cylinder and move it out of the way. You will have to remove the upper cowl and the wiper arms. You will also have to rotate the wiper arms to be able to remove the brake booster from the engine compartment.

The brake booster cost me $95.00 with core $132.00 without the core at NAPA. I returned the core naturally, and make sure you keep the box that the new one came in to use for the core because NAPA won't give your core money back without the orhinal box.

The Dodge dealer wanted 200.00 for a brake booster and the few part store that I called said they have been selling them like hot cakes the last few months. Looks like the cold weather is having an effect on all these old Brake Boosters

Good luck with yours I would replace the booster soon and you'll be okay

jamesstacy
04-04-2005, 04:08 AM
Just go ahead and replace the booster mine did the same thing and it gets worse your braking time keeps getting cut down the worse the booster gets and its not a hard job to put one in