Transmission code p1776 [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Transmission code p1776

RV2
03-20-2010, 06:28 PM
P1776 solenoid switch valve latched in LR position, anybody familiar with this code?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dmx31red
03-20-2010, 11:25 PM
P1776 solenoid switch valve latched in LR position, anybody familiar with this code?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

googled it.....

I assume that you find the transmissions sticks in 2nd gear and won't shift out, correct?
The 1776 says the low/reverse pressure switch (located in the solenoid box on the front side of the transmission )is closed when it shouldn't be. Often the first thing that is tried is to replace the entire solenoid pack, but I would look at a couple of less expensive options first.
Another possible causes for the 1776 is that the transmission control relay or its circuit is weak or open (it is located in the power distribution box under the hood on the driver side). You could try switching it with another relay of the same part number in the box to see if the problem changes, and if not then the relay is OK. Check fuse Q in the same box to be sure it doesn't have a crack in its wire.
The transmission control module (computer for the transmission) could be bad but that would probably also cause a code in addition to the 1776. That would be something to do last. Have you checked again for whether you may have new codes?
Also try shaking the wire harnesses to the transmission that come from the controller to see if that affects the problem as it could be a loose or shorted wire in the harness.
Those are the best ideas, unless you have another new code.
The dark green wire for the L/R pressure switch connects pin 2 of the 8-pin plug at the transmission to pin 50 of the trans computer so you could check to see if it is shorted to ground or intermittent connection.

RV2
03-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Ok, I will start checking.

TrepCruzin
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Here is the full defintion by ATSG on the code:

The Solenoid Switch Valve (SSV) controls the direction of the transmission fluid when the LR/LU
solenoid is energized. Solenoid Switch Valve will be in the downshifted position in 1st gear, thus directing the fluid into the LR element. In 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, it will be in the upshifted position on directs the fluid into the Torque Converter Clutch Switch Valve which controls the Torque Converter.
When doing portial Torque Converter Clutch or full Torque Converter Clutch application, the LR pressure switch should indicate no ~ressure if Solenoid Switch Valve is in the LU position. If LR pressure switch indicates pressure for some time while in partial or full Torque Converter Clutch, Torque Converter Clutch operation is stopped to avoid accidental application of the LR clutch.
Partial Torque Converter Clutch is attempted when there is no LR pressure. A second detection of LR pressure will result in setting the fault code and a shutdown.

I'm affraid to say but your probably going to have to rebuild the Transmission.....something has gone wrong with the valve body caused by some other internal problem. Did you change the fluid at some point in the past in the last 6 months???

RV2
03-21-2010, 12:07 PM
I just bought the car

TrepCruzin
03-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I just bought the car

What color is the fluid...is it like fresh bright red fluid...or old brownish fluid?

RV2
03-21-2010, 03:25 PM
its not fresh red and its not brownish, more like a dark red.

TrepCruzin
03-21-2010, 03:41 PM
well....this is what I would try before throwing the towel in on the trans.....I would do a fluid change with some ATF4 and filter...reset the code and drive it with hope that fixed the P1776 code....if it code comes back....look into rebuild or another trans.

Ronbo
03-21-2010, 04:46 PM
That was one of the codes I had last year on the Special. Same deal...Solenoid Switch Valve latched in L/R position. Dealer in Memphis diagnosed it as needing a Valve Body to the tune of $470.79 for the part. $785.40 total for the repair.

RV2
03-21-2010, 06:09 PM
RONBO did that fix the problem?

Ronbo
03-21-2010, 06:14 PM
It was fixed by the dealer as I said above. Had about 85k miles on the car last year when it happened and have just over 100k on it now. The dealer warranty was 12 months/12k miles. Still runs fine. Also that price of $785.40 included the transmission fluid service. They weren't going to replace the fluid until I asked about it and demanded it. Without the fluid change the repair would've been under $700.

RV2
03-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info.

RV2
03-24-2010, 09:42 PM
UPDATE: On monday I pulled the valvebody, separated it and cleaned it up, replaced the solenoid pack, input and output sensors and inspected the L/R piston servo all looked good.
I put it back together added 12 quarts of atf4 and performed the quick learn with a borrowed drb3, as of today so far so good!

Grinker
03-24-2010, 10:13 PM
were did u get a drb3

RV2
03-24-2010, 10:15 PM
A friend has one.

Grinker
03-24-2010, 10:19 PM
A friend has one.

Lucky you