My First Mod should be... [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: My First Mod should be...

bnelly428
01-29-2002, 05:58 PM
Apparently I'm new here. I just heard about this site when I was surfing the net looking for mods on my car, which are scarce. I was wondering what the first mod on my car should be, I already have a system deck and such. I want better performence and gas mileage would be nice too. My engine is stock for a 97 Intrepid ES 3.5L. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Sk8-4ever
01-30-2002, 01:18 AM
Welcome aboard, unfortunatley there isn't a whole hell of alot we can do to our cars. But, A K&N filter and a more free flowing exhaust can can a small improvement. However adding "type R" stickers won't help :) :rolleyes:

blacknite
01-30-2002, 11:45 AM
I have seen that some of the first gen cars have aftermarket air filters on them. Where did you guys get these from? I have looked everywhere net, local shops, etc and unable to find a cold air intake for my 94 3.3. The only thing that I can find it the K & N replacement air filter but not the intake.

Again help would be appreciated. ;)

Sk8-4ever
01-30-2002, 12:24 PM
The only way you can get a filter kit is to have pne custome made, but that is gonna cost quite a bit. Check out some of the pictures and you can see how some of us made our own intakes. Me personally I just took out the restrictor inside the accordian tube and put a K & N Cone filter on the end of that.

p3
01-30-2002, 03:42 PM
There is no actual aftermarket kit. ATFCharger has a 3.3L and he used the kit for a 94-98 Civic and it fit nicely. Otherwise you have to make your own, which is what most of the memebers on this site who have intakes have done.

bnelly428
01-30-2002, 07:59 PM
well how can i make my own air intake or is it even worth the bother? and i like the way that spray paint job looks in the trep i just dont know what color. I was thinking about doing it chrome or like a silver grey type to match the outside of my car. Did you take the pieces off or just spray on them in the car with something protecting the rest of the car?

p3
01-30-2002, 08:11 PM
I took the pieces out to paint them. The outside pieces are held in by one screw each and will come right off after taking those out. For the others, take a flathead screwdriver and gently pry around the edges to get them off. Then mask off the vents and paint away.

BTW-The intake is pretty easy to make.

bnelly428
01-30-2002, 08:15 PM
Well its kinda hard to make an easy intake without blueprints or directions! Anyone have them please send them to me at nellsofine@hotmail.com

p3
01-30-2002, 08:26 PM
I will try to explain how I made my intake:

First of all, take off the factory air box and remove the air restrictor (cone shaped thing with three flaps securing it) if you haven't already. Then I took a 6" long 3" wide painted piece of exhaust tubing and clamped it on (with a metal hose clamp, the factory plastic one didn't tighten enough) in place of the airbox. Then I bought a cone airfilter (mine is an APC Intimidator cone, but you could use K&N too) and put it on the end of the exhaust tubing with another metal hose clamp. To secure the intake so it doesn't just sit there and flop around I made a little braket out of 12 guage plate steel. It's bent in sort of a "Z" shape with a notch cut out of the bottom so it could be held on by the screw that held in the factory airbox. Finally I secured the intake to the braket with another metal hose clamp (which you should probably slide onto the intake tube before you put on the cone filter.)

bnelly428
01-30-2002, 08:39 PM
do you have pictures of this process that would help me greatly thanks. ;)