flashing dash lights [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: flashing dash lights

Gunship
08-22-2001, 09:52 AM
I was driving to work today with my headlights on and noticed that my dashlights were flashing (gauges, radio, clock, etc..). As soon as I turned off my headlights, the flashing stopped. Any ideas?

Also, my cruise control won't set at speeds above 87mph. Is this a defect or some type of federal law that car manufacturers have to abide by?

One more thing. Anyone notice the nasty reflection of the dashboard on the windshield, especially when the sun shines directly on the front? Polarized sunglasses help....will a tint job help also?

Thanks

2001 White Intrepid R/T
Loaded

Si
08-22-2001, 09:56 AM
Sounds to me like a grounding problem... 2001 R/T got a warranty right? Get it back to the dealer! :)

Warlord187
08-22-2001, 10:33 AM
I agree with my main man Si. :)

You don't have a huge stereo system in there, do you? If so, it could be the alternator candle handle the juice.

Big Los
08-22-2001, 01:16 PM
Gunship,
I had the same thing happen to me. It turns out, that it was just my dimmer switch moving from the ride of the car. I didn't like the bright dash lights, so I rolled the switch down to dim them. Which leaves the knob in a floating position.

2gcord
08-22-2001, 01:41 PM
The flickering dash lights has been reported on other forums. The roller dimmer switch gets in a certain position (as noted in the previous post) and causes the lights to flash weirdly--happened to me once. Just roll it around to one of the detente positions. I also suspect that since the switches for the headlights and dash lights roller are just under a cold-air duct, sometimes condensation on the duct may drip down and short them out. But if the latter, this should also be cleared up by manipulating the switches.

Si
08-22-2001, 01:54 PM
Darn, never thought of that.... I should of kept to the KISS Rule... (Keep It Simple Stupid) .tiz me :)

DMAG
08-22-2001, 02:01 PM
If you have a remote starter, I've seen them mess up where they make the dash lights blink while the car is running and driving. (usually the blinking is supposed to stop when you hit the brake pedal, but I've seen 2 already that make the blinkers come on at the weirdest times.)

David's R/T
08-22-2001, 07:55 PM
I've had the same problem with the dash lights 2 different times, 3 months apart. As soon as I moved the dash light dimmer wheel/switch, the lights were fine. I tried to duplicate the problem, but couldn't. I'd agree with the earlier post; it was the position of the switch juping from the dimmer position, to the top (bright) position. Or maybe just a bad switch... Either way, too infrequent to worry me.