DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Transmission issues, P0700, P0734, 45 on the key dance

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  9C1'Stangkiller 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago, I started having issues when I would goose the car and try to get it to down shift. It would just lay over and acted like it was running out of fuel. I had a mind to check the fuel pressure, but just never got around to it. Anyways, I don't believe it to be a fuel issue anymore. On the way to work this morning on the interstate, the MIL came on but the car continued to drive normally. As soon as I decelled and got down to a lower speed, it went into limp mode and locked into second gear. I read the codes and got a P0700, P0734 and a 45 with the key dance. TCM malfunction, 4th gear ratio incorrect, and I never did find what 45 meant. It seems like it's a generic trans code.

On the way home, (city driving, not interstate this time) I cleared the codes, and it did it again within 5 minutes as soon as it warmed up. I cleared them again, and this time when it went into 4th gear, it acted like it was in neutral. It didn't want to switch gears with the auto stick, so I popped it into neutral, back in drive, and it went into limp mode. I cleared them once more and drove it in auto stick. All was well in the world until I tried to shift it in 4th gear. It acted like it popped in neutral again, and went into limp mode. Cleared them again, Up shifted and down shifted 1-3 gears and everything was fine. As soon as it hit 4th, neutral again and wouldn't shift. Shifted to neutral, went into limp mode and drove it like that the 2 miles left until I got home.

Now, I'm guessing that either the input or output sensor is messing up and not jiving with the TCM, but I'm not just going to throw money at it. What would be a good way to test these? Tomorrow I will have access to a Snap-On Solis scan tool at school, so I might just take it up there. I'll check it out and see if I can monitor the trans input and output sensors with the scan tool. If I can ohm the sensors to at least start, I'd rather do that so I can drive it tomorrow and not worry about it. Now I know somebody has some good advice out there, right?

See less See more
#2 ·
Looked up the codes that you listed and this is what I got:

P0700 is the Generic Code which requires the Scan tool to pull trans codes (Normal)

P0734 is Gear Ratio Error in 4th gear

The 45 code that you got is basically the same as P0700 (according to Alldata).

Recommendation replace the sensors to see if it goes away.

#3 ·
I should have mentioned that I scanned my car with my own cheap scanner that told me what the codes were. I was just wondering if anybody else had had a similar problem. I think that I'll take it to school tomorrow, throw the Solaris on it and check out the serial data from the input and output sensors. I always like to ask about a problem first to make sure that I'm on the right track. Plus you never know what you might learn, just from asking. When I find out something, I'll post it.

#4 ·
Well, bad news. It's terminal. Ran through the test procedures with the DRB and all looked good electrically. Word is it broke a planetary when it did the slam bam thing and went into false neutral. Probably gonna go to the JY to check out a 2nd gen tranny. This is on the back burner as I have a Nissan 720 I need to get up to DD status, then the Trep will get fixed. Wish me luck.

#6 ·
Thanks man, I appreciate that. It'll probably happen here in the next month. I have to go to pull a part to get one, (probably a 2nd gen, they have like eleventy million of them) then get my old one out, swap parts, THEN get it back in. Also, since I'm in automatic transmissions here at school, I'll be doing an autopsy before the core goes back to the yard. I'll post pictures of the destruction.

#11 ·
02-04 units you tend to run into solenoid pack/valve body issues often. 98-01 trannies have speed sensor issues (100x easier). Try to find a low mileage 00 or 01 tranny then swap out the sensors with OEM only ones. If you do get an 02-04, I would replace at least the solenoid pack while you have it drained for the install. It would save you headache down the road for a very likely P1776

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
Swap: Done. It was actually done last Monday. I'm doing a write up as we speak. No pictures, but a step by step what to do and when. Basically what the manual should have, except it doesn't.

I do have a problem. Torque steer. Like a mother. When you're not on the gas or braking, it drives nice, straight and stable. If you're on the gas, watch out. The harder you get on it the harder it pulls to the right. I had my thoughts on Transmission mount since it seems the motor has a lot of rocking movement, but now reading this thread here:

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=117138

I'm wondering if I have a bad bearing. It does have a little steering wheel shake about 65 MPH but I was going to attribute that to an unbalanced tire... Maybe not. What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.