2.7 owners, help! [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: 2.7 owners, help!

whytcolr
06-18-2001, 09:16 AM
I posted this in the "old" forums, then realized that these were up and running, so I'm reposting here:

Ok, I took my car to JiffyLube on Saturday, and left feeling quite good (they vaccuumed my car out and everything!) but this morning I get to work and there's smoke coming out of my engine compartment. So I'm thinking, "WTF???" as I pop the hood.

There in all it's glory is my engine and the entire driver's side is covered in oil, and smoking like a sonofabitch. I notice that theres a hole in the front top, which I'm assuming is where the oil cap goes. Somebody please verify this for me? I'm thinking that they forgot to replace the cap, or didn't bother to tighten it, but I want to make sure that this is the case before I read somebody the riot act for !@#*ing up my car.

I'm thinking I definitely want my engine steam cleaned since there's oil everywhere. I'm not sure how much damage 60 or 70 miles with no oil cap could do. Mostly highway miles, too, and like I said, it's only been two days, though yesterday we had pretty heavy duty rain (though I didn't drive the car)... Any idea what I should request to remedy this situation so I know my car isn't damaged?

GR8WHT
06-18-2001, 10:43 AM
There should be no damage as long as the oil did not get too low. Did you check the level?

Sounds like they forgot the cap!!! Idiots

DjPiLL
06-18-2001, 11:00 AM
No offense... but I have heard nothing but *horror* stories about Jiffy Lube. I heard they are complete idiots... and hearing another story just like this... validates my point.

Avoid them at all costs!

DjPiLL

<sig under construction>

whytcolr
06-18-2001, 11:20 AM
I figure that's what they did, GR8WT. I'm just hoping that nothing nasty got in there (bugs, hoodliner, water). I've yet to call them (I'm at work) but when I do, I expect that they'll be cleaning the engine compartment (which probably needed to be done anyway, since it hadn't been done before) so I don't get oil residue all over my hands when I check the @#$!ing fluid levels.

DJ - Yeah, I know, I know, JiffyLube is evil, but it was really convienient since I was right next door and had an hour to kill while I was waiting for film to get developed... With any luck, I'll be getting some free stuff out of this, in addition to my oil cap and an engine steam cleaning.

I'm going to try to convince them to do a full fluid analysis to make sure that nothing is broken (they take samples and send them to a lab... usually costs like $70 to get done).

DMAG
06-18-2001, 11:23 AM
Tell them to put a new 3.5 in there! ;)

DjPiLL
06-18-2001, 12:43 PM
Yeah and if they put a new 3.5L in there, the engine will probably fall out the day after. LOL

redlaze
06-18-2001, 02:57 PM
yeah i have another jiffy lube horror story-

i was getting my oil changed-simple thing right? Not with JL. Somehow they were messing with some wires (?) dont ask me why, and then about 5 hours later, my car shut off in the middle of a bridge! I lost complete steering and braking! Thank god I was on a straight part of the bridge and not 5 seconds eariler or i would of gone straight off... Jiffy Lube is horrible

happo2000
06-18-2001, 03:42 PM
Can a 3.5L just be swapped into the 2.7L Intrepid without any other modifications? ( PCM? Tranny? )

DMAG
06-18-2001, 03:53 PM
Don't even think about it...that would be a horror story in itself...if you want a 3.5, buy a new Intrepid!

happo2000
06-18-2001, 05:44 PM
Aww. C'mon. I was just curious is all. ( I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway since I just bought a house recently. So money is a little tight at the moment. ) :)

rarewolf
06-18-2001, 08:06 PM
My step bro had a bad Jiffy Lube experience with his (ICK) Hyundai. They forgot to tighten the oil plug after draining, and a week or so later his engine seized up on a busy highway in rush hour. He got an attorney and went after them, and they quickly bowed down, got him a rebuilt engine (FREE), and gave him a free full service (the works) every month for a year.

Last time I went to Jiffy Lube (a while ago), I was in a hurry and needed the change before a long road trip. I was like a friggin hawk... stayed right there with the vehicle.

That was before all the mods... now I do all my own work. :rolleyes:

DMAG
06-18-2001, 10:56 PM
New house? Cool! I was only ribbin' you...between the computers and all the miles of wire, honestly it would just be easier signing on the dotted line at your local Friendly (snicker) Dodge Dealer.

happo2000
06-19-2001, 09:41 AM
Heh. I know, I'm tempted. But I'm going to keep this one for a few years. ( At least until the factory warranty wears out. )