2nd generation ES vs R/T [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: 2nd generation ES vs R/T

metalroar
07-29-2001, 06:24 PM
I'm starting to believe that ESs might be better buys than R/Ts. As much as I like the R/Ts' power and engine size, I've recently discovered that the R/Ts' interior isn't as cool as the ESs'. For example, the AC controls for the ES are digital (my favorite), you can have the stereo controls behind the steering wheel, and of course, the shiny knob for the gear shifter. Does the R/T have that as a more expensive car? nope! What do you guys think? I'm actually thinking about the ES if I had to do it all over again. I figure I'd make up for the missing horsepower another way.

Intrepid98
07-29-2001, 06:32 PM
I have an ES, and thought about upgrading to an R/T. However, I really like the ES better than the R/T (for some of the same reasons mentioned above).

The R/T is better if you care about a little bigger engine and a faster model, but that doesn't mean much to me. Of course I like to get the biggest engine possible when I buy a new car, but that is not my deciding factor.

Thrasher
07-29-2001, 06:52 PM
yes the R/T does have steering wheel stereo controls :) it's an option, i'm sure for the ES as well.

do the R/T have a shiny shifter knob? nope, it's leather :) same with the steering wheel.

as for the ATC, I believe u can get an R/T with that if u wanted it. somoene correct me if i am wrong.

BK
07-29-2001, 07:25 PM
No, you cannot get the automatic climate controls on the R/T. I actually chose the R/T because of the increased performance and suspension which was more important to me than comfort level but I did also load mine up on the options. I would have bought an ES if there had been performance parts for that engine (chips, heads, shift kits etc).

Don Hardy
07-30-2001, 04:05 AM
Last summer we rented a Chrysler Concord LXI with all the trimmings and decided we did NOT like the leather or the funky auto temp control stuff. I couldn't get that thing to do what I wanted at all! We had it for nearly 5 weeks, so I did do some serious trying! The leather got way too hot and sticky and we live on a tropical island so for us the R/T was it. I got the engine and my girls got the space inside. :-)

metalroar
07-30-2001, 06:31 AM
I feel better about the R/T again, but what are the odds I'll find a black R/T with all these little things in there that I'll like. We'll see.

DjPiLL
07-30-2001, 09:43 AM
Well a couple of points i'd like to make.

First off... since when do you get a chrome shifter with an ES? I thought this shifter was only an option with a luxury package on a 300M. I do not know of any Intrepids that have this.

Also... the automatic climate controls are kinda useless. I have no problem with my manual controls... I put the A/C on full blast when I first start it to cool off the interior... then i just lower it to maintain comfort level. I usually don't need to touch it again. I also read reviews in magazines that the automatic climate controls dont always work very well in a 300M or Intrepid ES... as they do not hold the temperature precicely.

There are a number of benefits the R/T has over the ES. You get the bigger engine. You get the R/T and 3.5L tags on the car which look cool. You get the steering wheel controls for the radio with the CD changer package. You get the R/T embroided headrests which look nice. You get the 17" wheels standard. You get the performance tuned suspension. If you get leather, you get much firmer leather with the R/T... which actually helps when it comes to the "sweating" that may occur. I found that the R/T leather really breathes quite well... and i don't sweat from it unless its really hot... and turning on the A/C will correct this.

The only real advantage that the ES has over the R/T is the Overhead Console.... but you only get a basic overhead console and from what ive read on here, you can install an overhead console on an R/T if you really wanted to... and install the upgraded one that the 300M luxury package has.

Intrepid98
07-30-2001, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by DjPiLL:
I also read reviews in magazines that the automatic climate controls dont always work very well in a 300M or Intrepid ES... as they do not hold the temperature precicely.

Mine works great. No problems here.

Intrepid98
07-30-2001, 10:11 AM
I guess that's why they have 3 different models. everybody has different taste.

98PurdueIntrepid
07-30-2001, 11:28 AM
I have to agree with Randy. I still like my ES better than the R/T. It's the interior things that I'm goin for. As for a bigger engine it's not that big of a deal for me right now. I'm not gonna worry about 20hp in my family sedan.. it's not like I'm out racing around in it and the 3.2 is no slouch either. I'll get the hp when I finally get my sports car... or a new Charger :D

capitalcity rt
07-30-2001, 05:39 PM
My wife wanted the ES, I wanted the RT...we got the RT. Fully optioned cept the big spare so I have all I need plus more. The only thing that I would have liked, especially here in the Great White North, are heated leather sets. Not an option on either model.
Luxury features vs. performance...individual taste. Neither good nor bad. Buy what u like and enjoy it. To each his own... have fun!!!

Danny
Capital City RT
01 Blk RT CHRYSLERRRRR
ALL OPTIONED OUT CEPT FOR FULL SIZE SPARE
GOTTA LOVE IT, YEAH BABY!!!

capitalcity rt
07-30-2001, 05:40 PM
That should have read SEATS... sorry

Warlord187
07-30-2001, 10:54 PM
I liked the performance side of it. Plus there isn't a whole lot of R/Ts out there! The inside features are good enough for me. I didn't really care if I got leather seats, plus I like the manual temp controls (although I like the look of the automatic controls). :p

metalroar
07-30-2001, 11:54 PM
I just like digital dials, I can't help it. But now that I know I could at least get the steering wheel stereo controls with the R/T, and also with DJPill's post. I'm back to liking the R/T more. As much as I like gadgets, I like the wheels, and performance better. :D

bgz9130
08-01-2001, 05:34 AM
I looked at both. My WIFE actually preferred the R/T. Her words were, and I quote,"the 3.2 didn't have enough balls" end quote!!! I felt the 3.2 was enough for the family car. I was disappointed that the overhead consule didn't come with the R/T (as well as the climate control). Those two factors notwithstanding (the consule thanks to GR8WHT), the R/T has a considerable performance advantage. The handling, power and especially the four wheel DISC brakes are not only cool but a safety factor as well. IMO it is ONLY a matter of opinion and taste. I think we all got the basic looks right!! Intrepid...Gotta Luv em!! :cool: