Never realized just how big the car was.... [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Never realized just how big the car was....

bboucher
08-03-2001, 03:42 PM
Man, I never really realized how big the Intrepid was until I took a vacation back to the mainland and rented a Grand Am SE for 2 weeks. When I got back and got into my R/T for the 1st time it felt like a boat! I traded a Grand Voyager in for the R/T so it never really felt that big, until now.

Wish I had my R/T for the trip, we drove the Grand Am from NY to CA, and through half the states we had the cruise set at 85mph which was killing that little 4 cylinder Grand Am, it had no passing power left at 85mph! Would have been nice to have the power of the R/T and the room in the back seat for my 3 kids!

david2376
08-03-2001, 04:31 PM
I know the interior room is amazing, but outside it's a boat as well. It's longer than a Land Cruiser if you can believe that.

Intrepid98
08-03-2001, 04:35 PM
barely fits in our garage when I park it in there. i always have to get out and check the clearance for the garage door before closing it, just to be on the safe side :)

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-03-2001, 04:43 PM
Speaking of the Grand Am, I really don't like the interior... nor the interior of the Grand Prix either. The Grand Am's gauge console looks like a pair of items found in the female anatomy, something I don't care to have in a car I drive... ;) And everything is too rounded.. I much prefer the sleek flowing lines in the Intrepid's interior.

As for the Grand Prix, the two tones of gray that make up the interior is kinda ugly, in my opinion. And the back end of the car is a joke... no class. Now the Intrepid's back end, however... that's sexy! ;) :p

2KWK4U
08-03-2001, 06:04 PM
To each his own. Sounds to me like you're upset because all you ever see of a Grand Prix is the back end... getting smaller and smaller.
:p :cool:

[ 03, 2001: Message edited by: 2KWK4U ]

bboucher
08-03-2001, 06:29 PM
Hey pal, maybe if it's a modified GTP!

I didnt care much for the interior of the Grand Am either, I hated the air vents on that thing, they were a pain in the butt to get aimed right where I wanted them. I like the styling of the Grand Prix's though, especially on the outside.

01Intrepid
08-03-2001, 07:01 PM
Hey speaking of a "Grand Prix" I like thoses cars, in fact I would have bought a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, if i didn't get my 2001 intrepid. B/C I was already approve for the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, when i went looking at a Intrepid ..... but i must say the 4 cyl grand am "SUCKS." :rolleyes:

DMAG
08-03-2001, 10:04 PM
My g/f has a 2000 Grand Am GT, the dash is hilarious in it...I always tell her it looks like a big 'ole butt.

hee hee... :)
http://www.pontiac.com/grandam/images/photo06_lg.jpg

DMAG
08-03-2001, 10:05 PM
Hey, 2QWK4U, have you seen the interior of the 40th GP? Beautiful! The (cranberry?) really looks good against the dash. Really brightens up the interior.

2KWK4U
08-04-2001, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I've seen it... It's a little too flashy and typical Pontiac "gaudy" for my liking. To me it accentuates the cheapness of the plastic parts by making them stand out. I do like the exterior color, though. I believe they call it black cherry.

To me, though, it's all a lame rehash of this years "Special edition" with the half spoiler, multispoke wheels and NASCAR style "roof rails" (give me a break). Even the two tone interior is the same, just different colors.

bboucher
08-04-2001, 02:45 AM
That grand am steering wheel is way better than the one I rented. The cruise control buttons were kinda stuck on underneath the airbag portion of the steering wheel and totally interfered with drivers like me that like to put their hand through the bottom whole of the steering wheel when they're driving! They just looked like they were about to fall off too, so that steering wheel is a huge improvement.

2002BlackRT
08-04-2001, 02:48 AM
black-cherry? LOL....check out my Trep "Black-Cherry First gen" hehehe

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-04-2001, 08:58 AM
FYI, 2KWK4U, I pass more Grand Prix's on the highway than I get passed by. :D

Maybe that's because no one in Wisconsin knows how to drive, or maybe it's because the Grand Prix attracts more attention from the police. ;)

Either way I don't feel "blown away" by the Grand Prix. I could drive my car like that and pass everyone too, but I choose not to. :)

If, however, some idiot is not even driving the speed limit when driving conditions are perfect, that's when it's pedal-to-the-floor time. :D

DMAG
08-04-2001, 10:23 AM
bboucher, they still use the steering wheel you are speaking of...my g/f's has the one with goofy cruise control buttons at the bottom. The above steering wheel is off a high level GT1...those are radio controls on the wheel. You can't see because the picture is cut off at the bottom, but those goofy cruise control buttons are still beneath the center of the steering wheel. And you are right, they are lame!

1mz-fe
08-04-2001, 11:02 PM
not to diss your intrepid...

but if he's not even going the speed limit and you have to floor it to make a point...

did you leave the parking brake on?

j/k

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-05-2001, 07:20 PM
LOL....well, you and I could get into the semantics of it all until hell freezes over, but that would be ridiculous.

"pedal-to-the-metal" simply means "it's time to pass". Nothing more, nothing less. :p :)

1mz-fe
08-05-2001, 09:53 PM
yeah, i'm just jackin around...if there's someone i want to rub it into about having a slow car i'll shit on my friend's 96 olds acheiva. now THAT is a slow POS.

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-06-2001, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I hear ya on that, 97 sport platinum. Not only is it slow, but it's ugly. :)

But, then again, the only GM car who's styling I liked was the 95-99 Olds Aurora (before they restyled it). :D

DMAG
08-06-2001, 09:44 PM
The last Generation Buick Riviera was a pretty sweet looking ride before they dumped it.

http://auto.com/art/reviews/98_buick_riviera/98_buick_riviera_story.jpg

and of course, my personal fave...the 1988 Fiero GT...(slight bias towards these :) )

http://fiero.cnchost.com/showroom/87gt2a.jpg

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

gary680
08-06-2001, 10:20 PM
I'm sure the last Generation Buick Riviera is a nice car, but to me it just looks like a giant penis-mobile.....but anyways, thats just how I see it....lolD :)

2002BlackRT
08-06-2001, 11:30 PM
ewwwww...that riveria is a little, what should i say...ugly....well thats just my Opinion....

and 00Chrysler....How can u say that GMs aurura 95-99 was the only gm nice looking...

the F-Bodies (newer ones) (camaros and f-birds), and Vettes are awesome looking...serioulsy nicer looking then any dodge car (except the VIPER)

2002BlackRT
08-06-2001, 11:38 PM
00Chrysler....u wanna see a nice lookin car? and its a GM too!! lol

http://www.firebirdmania.com/april9.jpg

DMAG
08-07-2001, 12:12 AM
EEEwwwwww......the Pontiac Gaudiness Patrol strikes again!!

They really messed up the T/A's back in '98 with the new fascia...Pontiac threw everything scoop, spoiler and plastic add on they could at that car. But, it sure is Hella Fast!

It was so much nicer during the '93 - '97 run when it had the clean, simple, subtle lines.

http://www.fbody.com/timeslips/photos/rwildr9.jpg

But, we all have different opinions, I think the Riviera is a beautiful car, so I must be in the minority! ;)

2002BlackRT
08-07-2001, 02:11 AM
oh well....The riveria is so damn ugly to me...and the Trans Ams are beatiful...

my opinon tho...LOL

hows this gaudy?

http://www.firebirdmania.com/april9.jpg

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: 93Intrepid ]

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-07-2001, 05:54 AM
With any car, the styling has to, or at the very least should, be an extension or tangible expression of your personality. That's why everyone's opinion is different.

For me, I think that TransAm you posted is for people who have a serious inferiority complex and want to compensate with a very loud car in terms of styling, regardless of the performance, which I'm sure the TransAm has.

Of course, most people like more than one type of car. And I guess that has more to do with each of our "colorful" personalities than anything else.

The point is, a psychologist can tell a lot about you by what car you drive. I like the Intrepid and the Aurora much more than I like the TransAm, Fiero (sorry, Intrepidatious), and the Riviera. I guess my "style" is cars who's beauty is expressed in simple lines and smooth flowing edges. And I guess your style, 93 Intrepid, is more varied. You drive an Intrepid, so you must have some appreciation for it's looks, but you also like the GM cars that leave nothing to the imagination and scream at you (and everyone else). And that's fine. :) Just not for me. :D

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-07-2001, 05:59 AM
And no, 93Intrepid, I didn't mean to say you have an inferiority complex. :)

You'll have to forgive me, sometimes I get a little more long-winded than I should be sometimes. :D

DMAG
08-07-2001, 08:40 AM
'00ChryslerIntrepid, funny you like the Aurura and not the Riviera...they are based on the same exact platform and share most of their parts. But, true, beauty is only in the eye of the beholder and they have their own distinctive styling. I agree, though that the 1st Gen Aurura's are a gorgeous car.

93Intrepid, don't think I'm insulting your taste, I'm not. I just think, like '00ChryslerIntrepid, that the current T/A's are way too overstyled. Pontiac seems to have some really good drugs lately, because they have some ugly cars (Aztek, etc..). When the current F-Bodies die after MY2002, it is going to stink, because they did offer great performance at a bargain price. There's talk that they are returning in MY2005 with 60's styling. Hopefully, with Lutz over at GM...we may see some Chrylser influenced styling!

bgz9130
08-07-2001, 11:32 AM
Chris...is that a compact 'Batmobile'??? :D

2KWK4U
08-07-2001, 03:21 PM
Trans Ams have ALWAYS been gaudy, and they will always be. Look at the early T/A's with shaker hoods, spoilers, and even spoilers on the leading edges of their fenders. Don't forget about the giant flaming hood chickens, either! Unfortunately, that's just a thing with Pontiac, to add a bunch of unnecessary plastic cladding for "flash." Thankfully, the Grnad Prix' don't have all that tacky junk on 'em. As far as F-bodies go, I would much rather have the Formula than a full-bore T/A. You get the same drivetrain and suspension without the extra weight of all that factory "rice." I've been a Pontiac man ever since the first time I can remember riding in my dad's '69 GTO w/ the top down, but I have to admit they go overboard with "styling" at times.

Speaking of psychological profiles relating to cars, I read a whole list of them one time. Trans Am stuck out in my mind because I had a loud gold '78 (chicken and all). According to the list I read, if you drive a T/A, it says about you: "I have a switchblade in my sock."

Thought I'd share.

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-07-2001, 05:49 PM
2KWK4U, I'm curious as to why, as a Pontiac man, you're a member of this forum. :)

Is it just to compete with us Intrepid owners? hehehe :p

No disrespect or offense is intended. :)

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-07-2001, 05:49 PM
I guess I like the sheet metal on the Aurora more than the sheet metal on the Riviera, Intrepidatious. :)

2KWK4U
08-08-2001, 03:08 AM
'00,

I just hang out here because I like the folks over here more than the people on my forum. It's nice to have a small, mature group instead of thousands of idiots to chat with. I'm stationed in HI w/ bboucher, and I've been checking the Intrepid forums pretty much since he bought his R/T when the old UBB board was up.

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-08-2001, 05:39 AM
Cool. :)