Problem or Paranoia? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Problem or Paranoia?

Bart
10-30-2001, 06:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and could help me out. Every now and then when I slow down to take a left turn and then gas it a little bit as I'm turning, I hear a grinding noise almost like grinding gears in a manual transmission only not as loud. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. It's only on left turns and only when I step on the gas as I'm turning. Fluid level is OK and I don't recall hitting any bumps or potholes in a manner that would cause that much wear on my steering. Steering wheel has no play in it, and steering still seems as good as new, except of course when that sound happens.

Q: The haynes manual doesn't say anything about flushing and refilling the steering fluid (only replenishing it if it falls below the full mark). Do we need to change the power steering fluid and how often?

Q: Is there any type of regular service done to the steering system? (again, nothing said in the haynes manual)

Q: How often does the power steering pump go out and how much does it cost? Anyone else have to replace it? I can't imagine it being the rack and pinion because the steering is still smooth.

carbonfybr
10-30-2001, 10:20 PM
Bart,
im having the same problem.
but i have no idea what it is and neither does the dealer. i took mine in for that very reason and they found nothing.
i did notice that it was alot more pronounced in the warmer weather over longer trips tho. but as of yet no one has a solution for me ...

anyone else with this irritating problem ?
:confused:

redblurr
10-30-2001, 10:32 PM
I have heard sounds like that on other vehicles. One was the brakes were improperly mounted on one side causing a scraping sound. The other was a bad CV joint but it was more of a thudding scraping sound. I know this is not much help but maybe a couple things you can check.

shipman
10-31-2001, 10:43 AM
I've had similar problems on another vehicle caused by a bad wheel bearing. The same symptom was present - where it is more noticable when you are turning. You could also make out a sound that changed frequency as your speed increased. Good luck!

Loghead
10-31-2001, 12:22 PM
Check the cv joint, that's my vote! :D

tdauria
10-31-2001, 12:48 PM
I don't think it's a CV... I had one go on my Plymouth Horizon and then again recently on my Probe GT... both exhibited a clicking sound when turning ... not grinding... I guess maybe a click would turn into a grind eventually.

I had bearings go on my Horizon that was a buzzing noise that got louder over time... but you could hear it all the time. I think it was a little bit louder when you were braking.

Good luck with your problem

1mz-fe
10-31-2001, 05:29 PM
i was gonna suggest wheel bearing.

carbonfybr
10-31-2001, 10:48 PM
would a wheel bearing not be a cause for CONSTANT noise ?

on my car it only happens on warmer
(85F-90F plus) days.
espcially noticeable when slowly accelerating from a stop or when parking. nothing at highway speeds or anything over 15MPH for that matter ...
:confused:

grimmster
11-01-2001, 08:13 AM
Yes, I had this same problem on my 2000. It was the driver side wheel bearing. Mine was more pronounced when turning left. They fixed it up and haven't heard it since.

Big Los
11-01-2001, 08:34 AM
Bart & Carbonfybr,
Have the dealer check the rack and pinion. I had to have my replaced earlier this year, because I had that horrible noise also. Just like yours it only happened on warm days. The first 3 times I took it the dealership, they had no freakin' clue what it was. They replaced both strut assemblies in the front, before they figured out what it was.

Bart
11-02-2001, 03:30 AM
Thanx for the replies. I hope to god it isn't a rack and pinion problem because that would be way too expensive for me right now. So far it doesn't seem to be too bad, so I'm not going to worry about it until it gets noticably worse.

Big Los
11-02-2001, 08:50 AM
I hope it isn't the rack and pinion also. Thank god mine was covered under my warranty.

carbonfybr
11-02-2001, 10:27 PM
it aint looking good ... the rack is more and more the suspected problem.
before i bought the car on my "test" drive, i noticed the steering was poor and sounded like it was working terribly hard to turn the wheels. what i cant get is that my dealer replaced the rack already once before i bought the car.
or so he said theyd replace the rack.
probably added some crap to the fluid to shut it up temporarily. :(
my local dealer knows about the problem.
and since im in good with him he'll take care of me. or so i hope.
but since my car is going away for the winter im not gonna worry about it til spring.
thankfully im still under warranty for another 10K.

RustPicker
04-13-2002, 11:03 AM
Bart (and All),
Yes, you can have your power steering fluid completely flushed, including the cooling unit up at the radiator. When I experienced no power steering Hydraulics (after 100K), I took it in. My tech flushed it completely, added some valve & seal conditioner stuff, and put a Goodyear GatorBack serpetine belt on (about $78 vice a Rack and Pinion replacement). He stated he'd trade the car off vice sink that kinda money into it since it was beyond warranty (that is the part that sucks... I purchased a 3 year/30K mile which ever comes first.... sheesh! the 30K came up in 15 months! I"m hosed!). I can tell ya... doing the Flush helped me out another 25K miles... as now I need a Rack n Pinion replacement. I know this postin is well after the dates of all these response... just thought I'd share my experience with you all.

CiscoKid
04-13-2002, 11:11 AM
99% chance that it is the rack and pinion assembly. Hope you have an extended warranty.:(

nws17
04-13-2002, 01:36 PM
I'd have to venture a guess tht its the CV joint. A simple inspection and regrease will confirm it, I remember my 85 Accord lost 2 of them, sounded like marbles in a can before they went.

Bart
04-13-2002, 04:49 PM
I'm sure it's not the CV joint... that is making a different noise, and only makes that low groggly noise while having the wheel cranked all the way to the left. This noise that I explained in my first post sounds like something spinning faster. It only does it on left turns. I slow down to prepare for the left turn, and it makes the noise right when I step on the gas about half way through the turn and lasts only a split second. I've never heard it do it on a right turn. Also, I've noticed it sometimes do it when I go over a speed bump, especially when my left tire hits the speed bump first. The power steering pump bearings are OK because I checked it when I replaced my belt. Fluid is still OK and my CV joints have been checked and are still OK.

Oh well, the sound isn't getting any worse... so I guess I can't worry about it until it does something mroe noticable.