Help me. Replace PCM or scan w/drb tool? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Help me. Replace PCM or scan w/drb tool?

DTEK-1
02-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Been having issues with my car for over a year with the check engine light. I was told its a bad PCM so I'm thinking of replacing it but alldata tells me "PCM REPLACEMENT
USE THE DRB SCAN TOOL TO REPROGRAM THE NEW POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) WITH THE VEHICLES ORIGINAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN) AND THE VEHICLES ORIGINAL MILEAGE. IF THIS STEP IS NOT DONE, A DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) MAY BE SET."

So I don't know anything about the drb scan tool and how to use it
And thinking if I should replace it and also when changing the converters and sensors do they have to be factory an OE?

paintballdude05
02-07-2013, 11:33 AM
First question, do you have Sentry key? Is your key just black or is it ticker with a grey rubber around the end? The DRBIII is the Chrysler specific scanner. It's out of most peoples price range at over a grand for a used one.

DTEK-1
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
They key that I have and that was given to me when i bought the car is all black. A grand is to much. What's my next step and is this a typical issue?

paintballdude05
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
The easy thing to do would be to find a new PCM and try it out to see if your issue would go away. Since you don't have the sentry system, you will need to find a 3.5 equipped 2002 or older car without the sentry key.

DTEK-1
02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Is there a specific place to buy a new PCM? How can you tell it doesn't have a sentry key and what is a sentry key?

paintballdude05
02-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Sentry key is an anti-theft system. Basically, the key has a tiny chip in it that the car looks for once you start it. If it doesn't see the chip, it shuts the engine off. You could add it to your car but it takes a bit of work. Best place to find a PCM is a junk yard. There is also a re-seller on eBay that I heard wasn't too bad, but you're looking at $200 or so from him for one. The only way to tell if it was sentry or not is by running the VIN. You can also find out by looking at the car it was taken out from to inspect it for Sentry.

DTEK-1
02-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Ya it doesn't have a sentry key. No chip in that key. I spoke to dodge and they said they can reprogram the PCM for 93 bucks to make sure if it really needs a new PCM. I'm thinking to go that route first. What do you think?

Crash Override
02-07-2013, 11:09 PM
1) consider a garage that can spell... Or knows it's job.

Condensing the report - they scanned for codes, cleared them, test drove the car, replaced an O2 sensor with an aftermarket one, encountered the fault again, replaced it with an OE sensor and the code came back which led them to think PCM.

Potential causes of an P0152 code include:

Bad bank 2, 1 o2 sensor incorrectly reading rich condition
Engine running rich and o2 sensor
Correctly reading rich condition
Signal shorted to voltage in harness
Wiring harness damage/melted due to contact with exhaust components
Vacuum leak (make have lean codes (P0171, P0174) present with it)
Leaking injectors
Bad fuel pressure regulator
Bad PCM

So, they replaced one O2 sensor and jumped from there to the last item on the list. I'd be more interested in pulling the plugs that side to check for fuel, doing an emissions test on that bank of the engine, checking the other possibles on the list really. Thing is, the PCM is the most profitable part for them and even if that doesn't fix it then they can return it and the money they will charge for the PCM they can spend on finding the fault. It's a bit like rewiring a house because a bulb blew.

DTEK-1
02-08-2013, 12:28 AM
I feel like I want to do the job on my own. I just need to know which sensor is which when they say bank 1 sensor 1 or bank 2 sensor 1. I bought a DIY from alldata.com and it doesn't really explain which is which. I want to replace all sensors ,catalytic converters and complete exhaust system. Then if I need to reprogram the PCM at dodge and if that fails replace it myself.

I need this car fixed and its becoming a hassle but am dedicated on fixing this car with the DIY help from alldata.com and also guidance from this forum.

Crash Override
02-08-2013, 01:18 AM
I could be wrong but I believe bank 2 sensor 1 is the sensor before the cat on the driver's side. I'd be checking the wiring from the sensor though to see if it's been damaged at any point.

What you COULD do is pull the 2 upstream sensors and swap them. see if the code changes to P0142 which would indicate sensor fault.

peva
02-08-2013, 08:41 AM
...I bought a DIY from alldata.com and it doesn't really explain which is which...I need this car fixed and its becoming a hassle but am dedicated on fixing this car with the DIY help from alldata.com and also guidance from this forum.As a past user of Alldata DIY, I have to say it is pretty much worthless beyond maybe the schematics and the TSB's. The rest of the information never has been anywhere near complete, and gets pared down more and more as time goes on. At one time I had subscriptions for something like 5 vehicles, and all but one have lapsed. The only reason the one is still in force is because just before they gutted it of what little useful information they did have, they did a big push for multiple-year subscriptions at a discount. I fell for it, and shortly thereafter, that's when they started purging most remaining useful info. My 1 remaining vehicle subscription expires in 2 years. I won't miss it as, again, the information it contains is worthless.

You need an FSM if you're going to work on your car - period. *NO* aftermarket manuals - hard copy or on-line - period.

Ronbo
02-08-2013, 05:59 PM
I feel like I want to do the job on my own. I just need to know which sensor is which when they say bank 1 sensor 1 or bank 2 sensor 1. I bought a DIY from alldata.com and it doesn't really explain which is which. I want to replace all sensors ,catalytic converters and complete exhaust system. Then if I need to reprogram the PCM at dodge and if that fails replace it myself.

I need this car fixed and its becoming a hassle but am dedicated on fixing this car with the DIY help from alldata.com and also guidance from this forum.

Bank 1 is the same side of the car that cylinder #1 is on. That's the passenger side of the car. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the upstream sensor before the catalytic converter on the passenger side. Bank 1 Sensor 2 would be the downstream sensor after the catalytic convertoe on the passenger side.

Same logic for Bank 2 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 sensor 2 being on the drivers side of the car.

Adpros
02-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Bank 1 is the same side of the car that cylinder #1 is on. That's the passenger side of the car. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the upstream sensor before the catalytic converter on the passenger side. Bank 1 Sensor 2 would be the downstream sensor after the catalytic convertoe on the passenger side.

Same logic for Bank 2 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 sensor 2 being on the drivers side of the car.

You wouldn't believe how freaked out people get when you apply that strategy to a transverse engine in say, a Caravan. However, 100% Accurate.