White smoke from 3.2 V6 [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: White smoke from 3.2 V6

mrgatto
10-22-2003, 09:11 AM
I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.2 V6 with 43,000 miles. The vehicle has been used almost exclusively for short trips (less than 5 miles) since I bought it last July.

About a month ago, I started noticing an immense puddle of water under the muffler whenever I park. It is definitely not coolant, it is clear water.

The car also blows a thin cloud of white smoke whenever it is driven. Two Dodge dealers say this is just "normal condensation," but it just does not seem right. It seems a bit excessive and no one seems to know where it's coming from. Other cars I've owned don't do this under the same operating conditions.

It continues to do this even after a 15 minute drive. Could this be the head gasket? A have a dealer repair orders saying that there is no probleml, so if something drastically goes wrong I hope Chrysler's Added Care warranty covers it.

Anyone else experience this? Also, I hope NJ won't give me a problem with their "visible smoke" inspection requirement.

Lafrad
10-22-2003, 09:39 AM
does the smoke smell sweet? (don't inhake right from the exhaust... but just try to get a smell of it somehow)

If it was a head gasket, it would smell kinda sweet.. and you would be loosing coolant.

Alot of people have concerns about that particular problem with this car.... it is just normal I guess (just so long as it doesn't smell sweet)

adaptabl
10-22-2003, 09:39 AM
Doesn't sound right. I would go to a different dealer.

mrgatto
10-22-2003, 09:45 AM
The problem is that the leak does not smell sweet. The car is not losing coolant, either. So where is this water coming from.

By the way, two dealers told me this is normal. I still have my doubts.

Lafrad
10-22-2003, 09:47 AM
if ANYTHING you might have oxygen sensors going bad.. or perhaps a MAP sensor....

concordia
10-22-2003, 10:50 AM
oil foamy with a white to light brown scum on top of dipstick or filler cap?

crombie
10-22-2003, 10:53 AM
It happens to my car all the time. Hell, it's been doing it since I got her over 40,000 miles ago. I'm at a stop light, smoke galore flying out of my tailpipes, out of any other car on the street? Nothing, ziltch, zero. So it's been happening for quite a long time now. I am not worried about it.

Paul's 96 Trep
10-22-2003, 11:40 AM
Mine does this alot too.. I have the first gen 3.5, but mine will also put a puddle underneath my tailpipe.. done it for the 3 years I've had the car, only time it'll put white smoke out.. is when temp drops below 50. Then it'll condensate all day even after temp is up to normal range. I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen many Intrepids.. 3.2-3.5L's puff all day long when it's chilly & also have water drip out of tail pipe. Don't stress yourself.

alleycat
10-22-2003, 12:08 PM
water on the ground out of your muffler is VERY normal. Water is a byproduct of combustion. normally, as the exhaust system warms up, it turns to vapor and will stop dripping, but if you idle for a long time, more water! cant speak to the white smoke, though.

slowbra
10-22-2003, 12:38 PM
True, and if you're only driving on short trips like you say, you're not allowing the moisture to get "burned off", meaning that your car isn't getting hot enough to get rid of the condensation in the exhaust. That's why it's always a good idea to go for a long drive now and then with the short-trip-cars. I never see much condensation from mine. I see some in the cooler months of spring and fall, but just a few drips from the tail. I also drive 90+ miles a day, so that helps.

Check your oil and coolant. Low coolant levels or oily residue is a bad sign. So is moisture in the oil. But your issue is most likely nothing to worry about though.

Lafrad
10-22-2003, 12:52 PM
Another thing.. I was just watchinga ll the tail-pipes on the cars today.. and most of the "efficent" cars, Hunday, Toyota, NISSAN, and the like, all have the white "smoke" (fog, condensation) and drip furiously out of their tailpipes. This is just looking to be what happens when you have a SUPER clean burn engine, paired with a good Cat converter system (which these intrepids have... I have RARELY seen an intrepid have a sooty exhaust pipe)

crombie
10-22-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Lafrad
This is just looking to be what happens when you have a SUPER clean burn engine, paired with a good Cat converter system (which these intrepids have... I have RARELY seen an intrepid have a sooty exhaust pipe)
What exactly does a "sooty" exhaust pipe look like? :confused:

slowbra
10-22-2003, 01:01 PM
soot = black carbon icky (technical term) buildup :)

crombie
10-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by In2Deep
soot = black carbon icky buildup :)
Nope. Never seen any of that on my exhaust. Thanks Gary. :)

alleycat
10-22-2003, 01:03 PM
good point lafrad. I have always noticed that my treps pipe is clean. all my other cars (even my ram truck) have soot on the inside.

Lafrad
10-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by alleycat
good point lafrad. I have always noticed that my treps pipe is clean. all my other cars (even my ram truck) have soot on the inside.

Right... I am not saying they are perfect.. there i a LITTE bit of darker tint to it.. but it is essentialy clean compared to any GM or FORD car out there...

Sturge
10-22-2003, 02:18 PM
When you say it "blows a thin trail of white smoke" would you characterize it as SMOKE or STEAM? If the answer is STEAM and it does not smell sweet, you're not losing coolant and have verified no oil/water interaction (no coolant in oil...no oil in coolant), then I'm jumpin' on the "normal condensation" bandwagon. Some engine/exhaust setups produce more than others through the normal combustion process and the configuration of the exhaust system. Also depends on how you drive it (short trips vs long trips, etc.) as others have mentioned above. I wouldn't worry about it but it's good that you checked into it.