Power door lock noise [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Power door lock noise

DanIntrepid'00
11-22-2003, 09:11 PM
The rear power door lock on the driver's side makes a very loud buzz/screech when locking. I'm guessing actuator? Anyway, anyone have any idea how expensive this little problem is to have fixed?

95trep3.3
11-23-2003, 09:29 AM
It is the lock motor. it is intregrated into the latch. I am not sure on price but to get an idea the front pass. one I had to get was $90.00

DanIntrepid'00
11-23-2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info. After posting last night, I went back into the archives and found a thread on the same problem. Seems as though it's fairly common with these vehicles..... I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to set an appointment to get it fixed. It's scaring the crap out of the dog every time the lock activates.

greystr
11-23-2003, 03:03 PM
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27871

R/TBountyHunter
11-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. my friends laugh at me everytime it buzzs

White97Sport
11-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Mine's been doing this for a very long time, and I know of other vehicles that had this problem for years. Chances are your locks will keep working just fine -- they'll just irritate the hell out of you.

rentapig
11-24-2003, 11:07 AM
it my do the same as mine did were i could not unlock the door im talking about when your driver door does

breezd
11-24-2003, 03:59 PM
mine's done it since i bought it a year ago and its done it the whole time...the locks still work fine tho

95trep3.3
11-24-2003, 04:03 PM
it my do the same as mine did were i could not unlock the door im talking about when your driver door does

Does any body understand what he is saying.:confused:

vancouver99
11-24-2003, 08:02 PM
wow .. mine just went today and i was about to post.
i did turn off my "AUTOMATIC door lock" so it doesn't screech every time i hit 25kph.

DanIntrepid'00
11-25-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by vancouver99
wow .. mine just went today and i was about to post.
i did turn off my "AUTOMATIC door lock" so it doesn't screech every time i hit 25kph.

What? You can deactivate the speed sensitive auto-locking feature?

BTW, it's going into the dealer this AM for the lock screeching.....I'll have them call me at work first to let me know how much to fix.......too much, and I'll just put up with it. Christmas coming........

vancouver99
11-26-2003, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DanIntrepid'00
[B]What? You can deactivate the speed sensitive auto-locking feature?

YES, first :turn the inginition to the ON position. then make sure the front doors are UN-locked. then turn the key OFF . then on-off 3 more times (4 total ending in OFF) . now press the power lock to locked position. you should hear a beep that indicates that the change has been done. Now if u remember to not use that power lock switch you wont get the noise. (of course i am so used to it i still lock the car when getting out)

PS please post the cost if u still get it fixed which i am going to do myself( after Xmas)

greystr
11-26-2003, 01:25 AM
my how-to shows you how to fix this for $3.00

DanIntrepid'00
11-26-2003, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE]

PS please post the cost if u still get it fixed which i am going to do myself( after Xmas)

Well, once in a while you win one.

Got the lock solenoid replaced at the Chrysler dealer today, and the cost was $0.00. Seems that the original owner, at time of purchase, invested in a Chrysler Gold warranty. So, my car's covered for most things bumper to bumper until next fall. Specifically, 5 years or 100,000 km., whichever comes first. Not even a deductable.

P.S..... thanks for the info on deactivating the auto lock feature. For us, with the loud buzzing, it was twice as bad...last year, I had an aftermarket keyless system installed, which locks the doors immediately when the ignition is turned on...(first BUZZ)....then the factory speed sensitive auto lock kicked in once we started driving.....(second BUZZ).......

Sure glad it's fixed.....and for FREE !!

mb-lhs
11-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by DanIntrepid'00

Seems that the original owner, at time of purchase, invested in a Chrysler Gold warranty. So, my car's covered for most things bumper to bumper until next fall. Specifically, 5 years or 100,000 km., whichever comes first. Not even a deductable.

i can't believe they told you had the warranty...
i bought an extended warranty when i bought my concorde. the trans went out 10 months later, and they tried to charge me for it. they had no clue that i had a warranty..

:rolleyes:

glad you got it fixed though!

vancouver99
11-29-2003, 06:04 PM
did it say on your invoice what the repair price "would" have been?

Veeb0rg
11-29-2003, 06:07 PM
my rear door on the driver side has been doing it intermittantly for as long as i own the car.. *shrug* when it stops working i'll fix it.. not till then thou

DanIntrepid'00
11-30-2003, 12:31 AM
did it say on your invoice what the repair price "would" have been?

I never received an invoice for this one........just the keys and "have a good day".

However, since I work for a car rental company, I know from experience any work covered under warranty lists all items and labor as $0.00. Nothing indicating what the cost would have been without the warranty.

Eriol
11-30-2003, 09:47 AM
My 96 Intrepid has done something similar for the 2 years that I've owned it.

It's not a hideous noise, but every once in a while, either my front passenger-side or rear driver-side door lock will make a loud "whirring" noise when I hit the power locks, and it usually doesn't lock when it makes this noise. I'm so used to it now that sometimes I don't catch it and I leave a door unlocked (which is bad because I live in a kind of bad area).

I always just wrote this off as just another wierd electrical problem (my car will also blow a fuse if I try to engage the fog lights, even with no bulbs installed... and every few months it will just blow a fuse anyway).

so far, I've shrugged these problems off as some of those minor kinds of quirks that give a car personality (every car I've owned has had one).

Both of these problems, of course, surfaced literally less than 50 miles after my 3 month/3000 mile warranty expired. (DOH! Always buy the #$@%ing extended warranty, even if the car looks and runs beautiful and you don't see how you could possibly need it)

YB Normyl
11-30-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by greystr

Great idea at a great price. Unfortunately getting it replaced with a new latch assembly won't guarantee it doesn't happen again. A friend of mine had 3 latches replaced at different times and now 2 of them do it intermitantly.
QuickSilver told me some months back that it cost him close to $300 Canadian to have it fixed at the dealer.