A/C evap drain location [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: A/C evap drain location

rwteete
02-25-2004, 03:27 PM
1998 3.2. Looking to unclog A/C evap drain. I've found a piece of hose sticking out pointed straight ahead of the firewall on the passenger side. Is that it? How do you clean that sucker out? My car stinks!

crombie
02-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by rwteete
I've found a piece of hose sticking out pointed straight ahead of the firewall on the passenger side. Is that it? How do you clean that sucker out? My car stinks!
Yes, that is indeed it. Best thing that I could tell you is to take a clothes hanger, bend it so that it's straight, and stick it up in there to check for any blockage.
Chances are that fungus (yes I am being serious) has grown on the a/c evap. core. Most auto parts stores sell this disinfectant that you spray on the evap. core. Cover that core really good, and the fungus will go away after time. No more smell!

mbtech208
02-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by rwteete
1998 3.2. Looking to unclog A/C evap drain. I've found a piece of hose sticking out pointed straight ahead of the firewall on the passenger side. Is that it? How do you clean that sucker out? My car stinks! My A/C smells like gym shoes on occasion too, I think it's just the way the heater box ventilation is designed, not very good air circulation. If the drains were clogged, you'd probably have wet carpets under the dash.

TTrepid
02-26-2004, 04:52 PM
I have two Treps, a 98 and 02. The 02 stinks in the summer but the 98 does not. I have seen many posts on this subject so it is still a very common occurence.

Icecream Man
02-27-2004, 03:40 PM
My '93 Eagle Vision did that this past summer... It completely ruined my girlfriends leather purse. The footwell for the front passenger gets soaked through whenever I run the A/C.
I find it hard to believe that a clogged hose would cause water to leak out...
Other than cleaning, is there any kind of "plumbing" mod I could do to get the water to drain OUTSIDE of the passenger compartment?

Thanks,
Kenny "The Icecream Man"

mbtech208
02-27-2004, 03:52 PM
If the evap drain hose is clogged, the condensation from the evaporator would build up in the heater box. It would continue to build up until it found its way out, usually on the carpet

Icecream Man
06-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Quick Update...
Nothing has happened since the summer ended... Stopped running the A/C shortly after finding the prob, so never looked for the hose... now that the NorthEast is heating up again, the A/C is running, and low and behold - wet carpet (thank god the girlfriend's purse hasn't been ruined again - or you'd be short a di.net member!)... Guess as soon as these afternoon storms stop popping up in the philly area, I'm going to find this drain hose, and clean it out!

MorrowLess
06-26-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm having the same problem with a very wet floor after running my AC. Local mechanic told me it was probably the evap core (before I had check anything on here). My question now is, where is the evap core located on the car and how do I get at it?
Thanks!

D76G12
06-28-2005, 10:31 AM
It's probably NOT the evap core - it's the condensation off the evap core building up and having nowhere to go.
Check the drain hose first and save yourself some money ...

da1foyou
06-28-2005, 11:41 AM
the info on this subject is great, i have the same problem. anybody got any pics of where the drain plug is and where the core is to disinfect it? i can't seem to find the place that you guys are talking about on my 2000 trep.

97Autostick
06-30-2005, 06:04 PM
I found a bit of a solution to the odor problem from the A/C. It's something I developed myself and have had very good luck with. First, make sure that drain is clear, cause if its not, then nothing will help. Second, about 5 minutes before you reach your destination, turn off the A/C, make sure its off recirc and run the fan on high for those 5 minutes before you park the car. This helps to dry out the evaporator and prevents the moisture from staying on it. Third, make sure you are not parking on an incline. The drain is on the front of the HVAC box and if the front of the car is tilted upward the water will not drain out and will stagnate. I found this out the hard way after the thing began to smell, and then started backing in so the front of the car tilted downward, and the smell went away. Just a few suggestions that have worked for me!

MorrowLess
07-07-2005, 12:31 PM
It's probably NOT the evap core - it's the condensation off the evap core building up and having nowhere to go.
Check the drain hose first and save yourself some money ...

That sounds logical. Only problem is that a couple days ago I had my car up on jack stands and looked and looked and looked and couldn't find anything that appeared to be a drain hose in the vicinity of where I thought it should be; I looked above, below, & behind the front/passenger wheel and in the engine bay. Can anyone provide me with some help as to where this hose is and how to disconnect it? A picture would be awesome! Thanks.

da1foyou
07-20-2005, 06:28 AM
Any help on this??? A pic or a very detailed description of the location of this drain would be very very helpful.