why are my tires wearing on outside edge ? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: why are my tires wearing on outside edge ?

merkurmaniac
04-22-2004, 05:27 PM
I have had my car aligned after the front struts were replaced. I had hoped this would fix the problem, but it didn't. I just put a new set of tires on, and the outside edges of the front tires are already showing some wear. Is this consistant with bad steering rack bushings ??

What is the most likely culprit ?

TIA,
RIchard

crombie
04-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Incorrect tire pressure all around or the suspension arm is either bent or twisted.

Warlord187
04-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by crombie
Incorrect tire pressure all around or the suspension arm is either bent or twisted.

My thoughts exactly.

intrepid1994
04-22-2004, 07:28 PM
you may want to take it back to who aling. and tell them

dakotaquadsport
04-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Yes. Check the tire pressure first. Then take it back and show them. Usually some places will have a warranty on alignments (at least I did) and they will correct the problem. In my case the alignment was bad it messed up the tires so they gave me brand new fronts. :)

OneSpecialM
04-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Mine used to do that, until I replaced the outer tie rod ends. They had alot of play in them. New ones were nice and tight. I also did the steering rack bushings, but the old ones didn't look that bad.

merkurmaniac
04-23-2004, 09:23 AM
That's more along the line of what I was thinking. I figure if it was a bent/damaged control arm, that would have showed up in the alignment process. My outer tie rod ends are original and I have 141,000 miles on the Eagle.

I have a noticeable "shudder" in the steering when powering around sweeping left hand (much more than right hand) turns. At 40 mph or so, the steering wheel shimmies a bit, almost like the wheel is able to wiggle jsut slightly when loaded in that manner.

Maverick9110E
04-23-2004, 11:21 AM
they will also do that if you constantly take cornerns like a mofo and drive it like you stole it 90% of the time :D

merkurmaniac
04-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Pretty sure that's not it. I am driving like I want to hit 200,000 on the original engine and trans. I don't flogg this car.

IS300M
04-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Tire Inflation Wise:

Wear in the middle of the tread = OverInflated

Wear on the edges of tread = UnderInflated

merkurmaniac
04-24-2004, 02:46 PM
The wear is only on the outside edge of the tires, not both inside and outside edges.

D76G12
04-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by merkurmaniac
The wear is only on the outside edge of the tires, not both inside and outside edges. That sounds like a bad alignment (toe in).
What did the tires look like before the alignment? How many miles since the alignment?

Typically bad tie rod ends won't wear that way but if yours were bad when they did the alignment then the alignment could easily be off causing the wear you have. Have you tried checking to see if your tie rod ends and/or ball joints are bad? If you've got a shimmy below 60-70 MPH, then something isn't right ...

wire2
04-25-2004, 12:25 AM
>That sounds like a bad alignment (toe in).

Toe in (assuming proper inflation) will scrub the whole tread.
Outside edge only is camber (not vertical). Park on level ground, steering wheel straight and place a 24" level against the tire, (avoid the bottom bulge). Both fronts should be close to true.

D76G12
04-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by wire2
>That sounds like a bad alignment (toe in).

Toe in (assuming proper inflation) will scrub the whole tread.
Outside edge only is camber (not vertical). Park on level ground, steering wheel straight and place a 24" level against the tire, (avoid the bottom bulge). Both fronts should be close to true. DOH! Temporary insanity :crazy:
... do these cars have a camber adjustment?

wire2
04-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Don't think so. You'd have to drop the strut from the tower and enlarge/slot the bolt holes.
Mercurmaniac, are the new struts the exact same as original?

merkurmaniac
04-25-2004, 02:12 AM
Hmmmm, dunno. Its an Eagle Vision TSI and I bought it with the sport suspension package. Struts are from Pep Boys. I told them TSI, but who knows.

wire2
04-25-2004, 02:20 AM
Try the level against the sidewall, let us know how straight up they are.

mark64
04-25-2004, 12:55 PM
My car does this too. It isnít tire pressure, cause I keep 44 pounds in them. It isnít the wrong struts, cause they are original. I had it aliened when I bought the tires. I now have about 32,000 on the tires and itís noticeable. Iím thinking about having the tires re-mounted with the current inside to the current outside. I do like to corner fast, that may have an effect on it.

wire2
04-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Good point, Mark. Now that you mention it, I recall having a T'bird some years ago with the same situation. I had the alignment checked, all ok, tech suggested I get wider, performance tires or slow down on corners.

D76G12
04-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by wire2
Good point, Mark. Now that you mention it, I recall having a T'bird some years ago with the same situation. I had the alignment checked, all ok, tech suggested I get wider, performance tires or slow down on corners. I'm in trouble ... :(

jakeoooooo
04-27-2004, 08:33 AM
You should definitely replace the tie rod ends (easy) and tie rod bushings (harder) if possible. They have to have some play after all those miles. And then you have to do the alignment with that anyway.

merkurmaniac
08-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Back again. I just did the outer tie rod ends, lower control arms (got a steal on them from eBay, $29 for both sides) and the inner tie rod bushings. I did this at my brother's place in Dallas. I had it aligned and then drove it back to Houston. It has the same shudder under load as before. I now have 146,500 miles on it.

I am beginning to suspect maybe it is a CV joint. When Pep Boys was done with the front strut replacement this spring, the inner rubber boot was loose and the grease was contaminated. I cleaned it out, regreased it, and used a big hose clamp to seal it back up. I am thinking maybe this CV joint is shot. It does it when accelerating, mainly under load, like if the engine is "lugging." I will look at engine and tranny mounts, but I am not sure what to look for, other than a shattered mount that is in two pieces.

jakeoooooo
08-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Too bad, but when you finally chase down the problem, the car should drive really well with all that front end and steering work. Good luck.