speed sensors??? i hope... [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: speed sensors??? i hope...

zumatrep21
05-25-2004, 09:18 AM
a similar problem has happened to me as it has happened to a few of you guys. at a few different times my car has gone into what i have diagnosed as limp mode, as described in the speed sensor faq by joekd. it won't shift back into first gear. this happens at any different times, from a stop light, on the highway, etc. my problem has an added bonus as well, YAA!! it will shift extremely hard and late/early while this problem occurs, into 3rd and 4th gear. the problem usually stops when i shut off the engine and restart the next day or hours later. brought the car to my mechanic to check the codes which were as follows. numerous gear slip codes in all gears and speed sensor codes. any suggestions?? could this hopefully be just a input/output speed sensor problem as described by many other trep owners? could it be something totally different becuase of the gear slipping?? could it be something in addition to the speed sensors?? i replaced my tranny fluid about 10 thousand miles ago with the correct mopar fluid. problem didn't start happening until recently?? anyone, please inform me of your knowledge?

hopless in CT
zuma

JoeKD
05-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Does your car downshift by itself on the highway when going 65+?

If not it sounds like the tourqe management wire is disconnected/broken or possibly your TCM is going

alarkyokie
05-25-2004, 10:25 AM
It's not too expensive- I'd try the two speed sensors on the tranny, just to see if it affects the symptoms. For $50/60 (I think)
You would KNOW that's not the cause...or it might cure it..

zumatrep21
05-25-2004, 10:31 AM
when the car goes into this limp mode, the car will initially upshift into third and fourth gear, but very harshly. then, yes joekd, it will just downshift into second gear and will not shift out of it for a random amount of time. even in autostick, it will not shift out of second when this happens.

silver&gold
05-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Thats what I am going through right now with my '00. Wife said it shifted real bad and now it aint going into third. Called Dodge about the sensors and we can get the set for $41.59. We are gonna take it to Firestone and total labor is $65. So for $106.59 I am hoping it fixes the problem. If not then buh bye car. For some reason the dealership has a hard time believeing me when we tell them it hit limp mode and the input sensor is bad. "are you sure you don't want to have it diagnosed?" "uh no. I am pretty confident thats the problem." Thanks again for all the help guys.:bigsmile:

zumatrep21
05-25-2004, 03:21 PM
hey silver and gold, please i'm begging you to let me know how it works out for ya.

silver&gold
05-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by zumatrep21
hey silver and gold, please i'm begging you to let me know how it works out for ya.

My wife is taking it to the shop as of 10 minutes ago. She won't be home until 6pm. Thats texas time. So we should see the results on the ride home. I will definatley let you know. Cross your finger and hope it works for me too:)

zumatrep21
05-25-2004, 03:28 PM
sounds like a plan, good luck... for the both of us.

silver&gold
05-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Okay..just got a call from my Mechanic at Firestone. Oh well first of all, my wife said that when she was taking the car to get the sensors and then to the shop, her car would not leave 1st and her speedo quit working. Ah ha...output speed sensor just crapped out. Anyway, the mech said the car was done, he test drove it, goes through all of the gears as advertised, and the speedo works fine now. I am still going to check for codes when she gets home tonight. But over all, sounds like that was the fix. We hope. When she gets here, I will ask her how it drove. Wished I could remember how to do the gauge calibration thingy with the key...sorta like the code checker. Don't need to do it, but it is soooo cool to do it. :bigsmile:

TTrepid
05-25-2004, 06:45 PM
zumatrep21, These sensors are fairly easy to install. Save the money and try to install them yourself. Your symptoms point to the sensors.

zumatrep21
05-25-2004, 07:28 PM
success!!! yea, i ended driving my mother's honda down to bosco dodge today, buying both sensors for a nice price for once, $33.40. easy install. took it out for a ride and it's smooth as silk. actually shifts better than the day i bought it (used ). thank you to everyone for your help.