Mine 3 [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Mine 3

Bart
02-25-2002, 02:00 AM
OK... I redid the redo on my tail lights. I also tinted my front orange reflectors. I also have the LED turn signals... but on the left side (the side when I usually have my signal on the longest), 3 LEDs are burning out. hmm... Is there a lifetime waranty on E-bay Items? The package has a sticker that says "authorized by CATZ". It says "lifetime warranty" on there... but what really gets me is that when you take the bulbs out of the package, you see "jesus is the way". Turn it over on the back for warranty contact information and it is all inked out with a black marker. Looked up the company name (Jam Strait) on google. Turns out www.jamstrait.com doesn't work. What a crock.
Here's the pictures:

http://aol8mydog.freeservers.com/mine3/

The brake lights aren't really yellow (aren't digital cameras great?).

MadTxn
02-25-2002, 10:47 AM
That's slicker than snot. But what are those lights by your license plate?

JoeKD
02-25-2002, 10:57 AM
here's the contact info for Jamstrait

ph-601-683-0104
fax-601-683-6341
email: jsi@netpathway.com

and yes..every thing you get from them has the born again Christian scripture on it....there company motto is
Jesus is the only light brighter than ours!

looks good though, your corner lights are identical to mine

blkbute
02-25-2002, 12:08 PM
those LEDs are sweet. did you just use tail light tint for the reflectors?

DMAG
02-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Holy Crap...I think I just wet myself...that is friggin awesome!

IOM material. period.:thumbsup:

Bart
02-25-2002, 03:24 PM
MadTxn, those are my reverse lights. Long story, but I use my OEM reverse ligts for my blinkers. I just stuck an amber bulb in the blinker socket and stuck it in the reverse socket :)

Joekd, Thanx for the contact info. Are you having any LEDs burn out? Mine are just beginning to... 3 of them are really dim, which means they're good for about another month or so... if that. Sometimes LEDs flicker when they burn out, sometimes just dim. Did you get your LED turn signals off of ebay? After seeing yours, I figured that's the only place I was going to find them. The auto parts stores around here (even the ricer shops) didn't have any amber colored ones. Once they burn out completely I'll just get some amber LEDs and use the wedge casing and make my own direct replacement. I just can't believe they didn't even last a month!

blkbute, yeah, I just used the "nightshades" tail-light tint spray. I heard someone on here talking about how the first gen stratus boys were taking the orange reflector out by using a pair of pliers or something. I didn't want to attempt that. This way, I still have the orange reflector for legal purposes, but it only looks orange when light is actually reflecting from it... otherwise it looks gray/black.

IOM? I've never been that before :D

JoeKD
02-25-2002, 03:27 PM
haven't had any dimming or flickering on my bulbs at all. I have the 3157 LED replacement bulbs in my brake lights and turn signals

I didn't buy them off Ebay, I found them at an America's truck wash parts counter. I could find the red LED's at a few places on line but this was the only place that had the amber

I saved all the packages after I installed so if you would like me to mail you one of the packages my bulbs came in just send me an email with your address joekd@hotmail.com

MadTxn
02-25-2002, 04:38 PM
I bought some of those LED bulbs, but they were too dim and blink too fast. Do you have that problem?

DMAG
02-25-2002, 06:13 PM
Here's a link that has the red and the amber 3157 replacement LED bulbs, scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm

Bart
02-26-2002, 06:24 PM
MadTxn, they're all going to be dim since they only use 15 LEDs at the most. The LEDs they use aren't that bright compared to normal brake lights. They blink fast for turn signals because they take less current. It's almost the same as when you have a bulb out and your blinker blinks faster or stays on (depending on what kind of flasher relay you have). I tried the red LED retrofits when I had my 95 dakota but they weren't bright enough so I decided to make my own tail-lamps with brighter LEDs when I got my intrepid.

JoeKD
02-26-2002, 06:39 PM
mine were blinking fast and Jamstrait told me it was because the car wasnt equipped with a variable load blinker

They sent me a set of crimp on resistors and now they are blink like normal and aren't dim at all, I would say they are 95% as bright os stock bulbs

Bart
02-26-2002, 08:52 PM
Joekd, They are probably almost as bright straight on, but the total lumen output is only a fraction. Go off to the sides and they aren't as bright. 3157 clear bulbs put out about 300-400 lumens. After going through the red lens of the tail-light they are about 100-150 lumens. Each LED in one of those retrofit bulbs put out less than one lumen per LED, multiplied by 15 and the most you can get is 15 lumens... and that's and that is absolute best case scenario. As a reference, the LEDs I have put out 3 lumens per LED under perfect conditions... so I'm guessing 2.5 lumens. I have 40 for my tail-lights (100 lumens) and another 114 for my brake lights (285 lumens). Since they are all on with my brake lights, total output is 385 lumens, then take away about 15-25% for the lens, so worse case scenario, mathematically, I have about 288.75 lumens per tail-light when the brakes are on.

I'm not saying that the retrofit bulbs suck... they're cool. I love them for my front blinkers since there are no secondary optics to diffuse the light. I just wouldn't use them as my brake lights since I'm anal about people being able to notice when I have my brake lights on. For those that aren't so paranoid about their brake lights being seen as well as the sun... the retrofit bulbs are great. They're also a hell of a lot easier to install!

Anyways, that's my opinion... I want my brake lights to be very bright... at least if not brighter than stock brake lights.

raif2001
03-06-2002, 08:42 PM
haw did u tint your tail lights
what did u use
i want to do that to my intrepid so bad
but i cant find with what
thanks

JoeKD
03-06-2002, 09:16 PM
I don't see how it is possible to see the taillights from straight on even if I tried. The bulbs sit angled in the sockets so that the light is aimed off the reflectors then through the lenses.

I was worried that my brake lights might not be seen as clearly so I had the OEM bulbs on one side and my LED's on the other, I looked at them on a foggy day, a sunny morning and at night and as said before the LED light output was about 95%.

I have seen applications where the bulbs are pointed straight back (altezza style) and could see where side vision would be a problem but on my 2000 tails this is not the case, the reflectors inside the tails make all the difference.

Bart
03-06-2002, 10:04 PM
raif2001, I used "nightshades" tail light tint spray... masked off the areas I didn't want to tint and sprayed the rest. The lighter areas were masked for one coat, then unmasked for a second coat so they aren't as tinted.

joekd, the LEDs in those don't emit much light to the sides so there can't be very much light hitting the inside of the reflector cups. The only light diffusion you have is through the pillow lens. You're right, they do sit at angles, but I'm referring to straight back relative to the actual LED bulb. I know that you see what you see and interpret what you see... but it is impossible to achieve 95% (or even close to that) of the light of the incondescents that were in there before with the type of LEDs you have. They might be bright enough to see in the sun... but bright enough to catch someone off guard who isn't expecting to see brake lights? If you don't mind, I'd like to see a picture of your car with one side having regular bulbs and the other side having the LED bulbs. Sometimes the eyes can't interpret brightness as well as a camera does... more than likely, the side with incondescents will either flood the camera or turn a different color... like how the digital camera I used turned my brake lights yellow but the tail lights alone were still appearing red. I'm not trying to just prove you wrong... I just can't believe there is any possible way that just 15 standard 5mm LEDs can emit even CLOSE to the amount of light as incondescent bulbs or even high-flux LEDs.

raif2001
03-07-2002, 07:43 PM
where did you buy the nightshades
i was loking for it but i cant find it

Bart
03-07-2002, 08:08 PM
I found nightshades at GI-Joes(auto/outdoors). I dunno if you've ever heard of that store chain. Try auto customizing shops or normal auto shops. I'm sure there's some place online. I think it's about $8 usually.