Trunk Lock Problem?!?! [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Trunk Lock Problem?!?!

That70sGuy
06-19-2004, 09:14 PM
Here's a weird one.

My trunk opens great with the button inside the car, and with my remote for my command start...BUT it won't open when I use the key?!?!

Infact the key doesn't even turn in the trunk lock cylinder anymore.

Any fix-its for this problem?

TIA

Jim

D76G12
06-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by That70sGuy
Here's a weird one.

My trunk opens great with the button inside the car, and with my remote for my command start...BUT it won't open when I use the key?!?!

In fact the key doesn't even turn in the trunk lock cylinder anymore.

Any fix-its for this problem?

TIA

Jim Lock cylinder is probably gummed up ... my daughter's '96 Concorde is the same. You know the old saying ... if you don't use it, you loose it! If you want to try and fix it, try graphite in the lock cylinder - any key shop will have some and a good supply of advise on how to use it and what else may work if that doesn't ...

bongobobny
06-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Yes, and a common problem but it seems as moreso with D/C...

The lock cylander is corroded up and you can try removing it and soaking it in solvent, penetrating oil, whatever, but probably will need replacement...

SHAUN
06-20-2004, 02:04 PM
i have the same problem. my driver side lock is seized as well as the trunk. but my passenger side is fine.

does anyone think if Rust Check's - Rust Killer would work?

That70sGuy
09-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Problem solved!

20 minutes, a few simple tools. Some solvent, a little scrubbing.

Lubricate with dry graphite.

Better than the $88 DC wanted for a new lock cylinder!

:)

slowbra
09-02-2004, 05:31 PM
I can't even remember the last time I used a key to open my doors/trunk! :biggrin: I do recall having the same issue though right after I bought my Trep. Did the same thing...cleaned it out...good as new. I'll have to go try it again just for kicks!