2nd Gen Door speakers [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: 2nd Gen Door speakers

mlfca
03-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Sorry if this topic was done before, (I did a search and found nothing)

I want to replace the stock speakers in the lower door panel.
Q. What size are they exactly 5 6 ?
Q. Do you need a spacer ring to attach an aftermarket speaker?
Q. I have the stock Infinity sound system, has anyone replaced these speakers with the stock sound system, does it improve the overall sound of the stock system.

Thanks for the help

p3
03-19-2002, 06:17 AM
Hmmm...well being a second gen I don't know, but Crutchfield shows both 5.25" and 6.5" fitting your car. Here's the link if you care to look.

Speakers (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-b246wqyjHdu/ProdGroup.asp?g=400&a=1)

BTW- All the aftermarket speakers are labled "P" meaning you would need an adapter to make them fit (free with speaker purchase), or minor modification to your car.

mlfca
03-19-2002, 07:55 AM
Thanks Pimped, I was at the Crutchfield site also. That was the reason for my question.

p3
03-19-2002, 08:07 AM
Ok, well I'll dig a bit and try to find the correct speaker size for ya.

Carlos
03-19-2002, 08:46 AM
I got my front speakers a few months ago.
The size is 6.5 inches, and yes you need like a special mounting kit. It's not that expensive nor hard to install, just make sure they're tight enough or you'll have a lot of rattling in your door. Also, you'll have to bend just a little the grill, well actually depends on how much your front speakers stick out. I had to do it because everytime the speakers got some bass kicking in, it'd hit the grill and sound like farts after eating mexican beans :P
I don't know anything about the Infinity system
:p :wink:

mlfca
03-19-2002, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the info Carlos. I will be carefull about the farting problem:p

IntrepidXJ
03-21-2002, 01:03 AM
Good, I now need this info. Looks like I blew the speaker in the passenger door.

Personally, I do not believe it should be possible to blow a speaker on an all stock system :mad:

IntrepidXJ
03-21-2002, 01:07 AM
BTW- I'm only gonna be replacing both 6.5 door speakers. Any suggestions on which ones to get?

I was thinking of staying with Infinity, however, I am open to suggestions.....

I am not looking to spend a lot.

p3
03-21-2002, 03:17 AM
Hey Randy, you should check out some of Alpine and Polk Audio's stuff. Great sound for the price.

thump186
03-21-2002, 06:38 AM
i put 6.5 inch alpines in my doors without adapter well first gen but i dont belive there is any difference in the size. anyways randy i would goto a few shops and listen to what they have in your price range.. you have to listen to it after all. bosotn does make some real nice stuff for the money. imo i would also stay away from the new rockford fosgate stuff thier quality has gone down hill. also listen too some 2 ways and see what they sound like you'll hear a difference in your car. NOW AS FOR THE JEEP.... COME ON RANDY YOU KNOW YOU WANT A COUPLE 15s IN THERE

p3
03-21-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by thump186
NOW AS FOR THE JEEP.... COME ON RANDY YOU KNOW YOU WANT A COUPLE 15s IN THERE

A couple? Hell throw 4 or 5 in there, Slap on some dubZ, and he can have one tight ghetto G ride. :p

mlfca
03-21-2002, 09:23 AM
Randy:

I called Crutchfield's to try and get some different opinions on the door speakers, (I also went to the 300M club web site and found some conflicting info. They said the 6 1/2 speaker was set up not to carry low freq, that the rear 6 x 9's were:confused: )

Anyway, I was talking to the rep and he said I should see some improvement in bass response with a two way, but the stock speaker is 2 ohms and most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms. So he sold me on a pair of Polk EX Series II (model# EX602a) $79.95, that included the spacer rings and the factory wiring harness so I don't have to cut wires, Plug and Play.

He also said if I don't like the sound of the new speakers, I can box them up and send them back for a full refund including shipping.

p3
03-21-2002, 09:28 AM
Those are nice sounding speakers mlfca. You should be happy with them. :) Also Randy, you could look into a component set with separate mids and tweeters. Just a thought.

mlfca
03-21-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by pimped3point3
Those are nice sounding speakers mlfca. You should be happy with them. :) Also Randy, you could look into a component set with separate mids and tweeters. Just a thought.

Pimped:

Wouldn't going to a component set have its own crossover kit which means you would have to rewire directly from the amp?

The stock Infinity system has a cross over built into the system, (and it sucks Ass, every time I think about it I get so pissed off for a $500 option, the sound stinks!!!!!!!)

p3
03-21-2002, 09:51 AM
Gah, my bad. I totally forgot about that.

Note to self: don't post on anything that requires thinking when you have been up all night and had FAR too much Mt. Dew.

IntrepidXJ
03-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I want something that I can install very eaily. No rewiring.

Maybe I'll wait for you to try yours out and see how you like them, before I decide :)

Thanks for the info!

mlfca
03-21-2002, 10:10 AM
Do the Dew:D

mlfca
03-21-2002, 10:12 AM
I should be getting them on Monday and since it should be plug and play, I will install them durring lunch and let you know.

IntrepidXJ
03-21-2002, 10:15 AM
Sweet :) That's exactly what I want "Plug and Play" :D

goose
03-21-2002, 06:09 PM
Plug and play ... isn't that what Microsoft says about Windows???:baaa: Whatever!!!

Anyway ... I went to my local Audio shop and asked about upgrading my system. They told me that the Intrepid's use an Infinity system that has ampilfied speakers. He said I could not replace them because I would lose "loadness" ... What the heck is he talking about??

Is this true?

FYI ... I have a 98 ES with a 6 speaker sytem with the tape deck and changer controls.

-Goose

IntrepidXJ
03-21-2002, 06:15 PM
I was pretty sure the infinity system has a 220 or 240? watt amp somewhere.

Can someone back me up on this.

Carlos
03-25-2002, 08:35 AM
I have no idea about that Infinity system. I bought me a pair of 6.5. 3 ways, 180 Watts Max, they sounds pretty loud and a lot of times, before i got my subs, my friends would asked me if i had an amp pushing my front and back speakers. They sound nice.
I don't know about you guys, but i prefer to have like 3 and 4 ways speakers, that way you have better sound, i've heard the difference between a 2-way and a 3-way, same thing with the back speakers. Sooooooo.. I'd suggest get some 3 and 4 ways for your speakers and you'll have better sound. Xplod is an ok brand, but you can get something better just for a few more bucks. I'm happy with my sound :: :D
Hope you get what you want!!!!:baaa:

IntrepidXJ
03-25-2002, 02:29 PM
Hey mlfca, did you get them today?

Let me know :)

Thanks!

mlfca
03-25-2002, 03:11 PM
Randy:
Don't let anyone tell you your not punctual.

They were just delivered to my office an hour ago. I took them out to my car, installed the expansion ring and then did a test fit and found that I need to trim the plastic ring to make it fit. :(

I did hook up one speaker and it sounded Ok. I will need to do a full install to make a judgment. It's supposed to rain for the next two days, so I don't know when I will be able to finish.

On a high note.

Ordering my speakers though Crutchfield's could not have been any easier. The factory wiring harness worked perfectly, plug and play. They even gave me good directions on how to install a head unit, front speakers, and rear speakers.

I'll keep you posted

IntrepidXJ
03-25-2002, 04:37 PM
Thanks man :D

mlfca
03-26-2002, 08:45 AM
Well I quickly finished installing the 6 1/2's this morning before I went to work.

The Verdict.

It's good/better.

I lost some bass response with the Polks, but I gained a much sharper and cleaner sound. After playing with the EQ I was able to find a good balance of volume, clarity, and low end bass.

It seems that the rear 6 x 9's are giving me more punch or it could be that the front speakers were such crap that I could never reach a good medium.

Overall, I would say it was worth the $79.00, and the Polks seem up to the task.

Hope this helps.

IntrepidXJ
03-26-2002, 08:48 AM
What was involved in getting them connected/mounted? You said you had to trim something?....

mlfca
03-27-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Intrepid99
What was involved in getting them connected/mounted? You said you had to trim something?....

The three mounting tabs on the trim ring that is needed to make the 6 1/2 fit, needed to be trimed to make the holes line up. It took me about 1 min with some tin snips to make it fit.

DjPiLL
03-28-2002, 12:43 PM
I am considering replacing the stock door speakers with some Infinity Kappa's. Anyone done this? I think this will be a good mod considering that when i listen to the stereo, i get hit by the door speakers a lot more than the rear 6x9s.

LRM214
04-25-2002, 12:04 AM
I'm getting my 6.5 door speakers in tomorrow and I want to install them myself. They are infinitys. My question is how does the grill on the door come off? Do you take a screwdriver and pop it out, or are there screws holding it in? I haven't looked quite yet. Thanks.

-Later, Luis

IntrepidXJ
04-25-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by LRM214
I'm getting my 6.5 door speakers in tomorrow and I want to install them myself. They are infinitys. My question is how does the grill on the door come off? Do you take a screwdriver and pop it out, or are there screws holding it in? I haven't looked quite yet. Thanks.

-Later, Luis

Just pops right out.

CLONE
04-25-2002, 01:12 AM
yea just wiggle that cover around a little and it will pop right off. im selling some 2 inch dome tweets jl audio of coarse and some 5 and a quarter jl audio mids with crossovers. they are currently in fiberglass door pods but can and will be taken out and sold seperatly. highest bidder gets em and they will fit in the trep door with a adapter. JLAUDIORULES. 175 TAKES THE WHOLE SET UP OR BEST OFFER.

shadow1
04-25-2002, 09:02 AM
If you have the 2nd gen Infinity system, the front door speakers are crossed over at the amp. Only low frequencies go the the 6.5" speakers. I installed 2 way Infinity Kappas only to find out that the tweeters have no sound. It is still a vast improvement. The midrange and mid bass is far cleaner and I still get highs out of the stock 2.5" 2 ways in the mirror pods. If I was to do it over I would have bought a straight 6.5" woofer.

DjPiLL
04-25-2002, 11:21 AM
Luis:

Are these the ones you have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1348214897

shadow1
04-25-2002, 01:21 PM
I have the Kappas from last year. They have a green woofer. Crutchfield had them on closeout (they may still be closing them out).

LRM214
04-27-2002, 12:37 AM
Yes, those are the ones I have DjPill. I got them in today and I'm going to need some sort of spacer or something, because they have 4 screws to hold it in instead of 3. So hopefully I'll have that done by saturday.

Thanks.

-Later, Luis

UPDATE: Well, I got an adapter and the guy at Audio King swore they would work. Well they ended up being for a Neon. Dumbass. Anyhow, I drilled some new screwes in and they fit great. I now have Infinity speakers in the front and back. I was going to amp them, but they sound good now. So I'll wait till I put my subs in and have a few more bucks to have it all put in right.

Thanks for all the help.

-Later, Luis