Installing XM Radio in an RB1 [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Installing XM Radio in an RB1

Morphy
11-08-2004, 02:15 PM
I've just purchased an RB1 for my 2001 Trep ES. Now it seems easy enough to hook up, but I have questions about it:

I will need the adapter kit for installing 02+ radios into my 01.

http://www.triumvirate.ca/radio_02adaptor1.jpg

The back of the RB1 has a 22 pin port. Will the 22 pin end of the above cable suck up that whole port? Sounds like a duh of course question, but I just want to make sure. Next, what is that PCI connector cable? I've never seen the back of my current radio, is there a connector back there that this plugs into?

Now the big problem. I have an XM Roady2 satellite radio. While I am doing the install of the RB1 I want to properly hook up the Roady2 in the car, with no wires hanging loose. I have a mounting kit for it and I think I know how to get power for it behind the dash. The big issue is how to get the sound output working properly. It has a built in FM modulator, but it sounds so-so and don't like it. It has a cassette adaptor, but the RB1 has no cassette. I want to hard wire the Roady2 into the RB1. There are the PIE adaptors from www.pie.net that hook up the Roady2 into the cd changer control of a stereo. But I've been told by PIE that it is not compatible with the RB1.

So what can I now do? The RB1 has an aux button, what it is used for? Has anyone done an install like this and know of some kind of adaptor I can get to hook these 2 devices together?

Thanks in advance.....

JoeKD
11-08-2004, 02:26 PM
the PCI connector attaches to the pink wire, this is the speed sensor lead

the AUX button is for connection an OEM mopar changer or Sirius setup, the only way to hook up your XM will probably be a modulator

'98-ESer
11-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Personally I'd sell the Roady and get a RB1 compatible Sirius receiver. That way you can controll the sat radio from the RB1 and you'll get the station and plyalist info on-screen. The list price for the receiver and an install kit is around $300-.

dbaudiopro
11-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Yes the 22-pin plug on the adapter will fill the entire 22-pin plug on the back of the RB1. There should be a single purple/yellow wire in its own plug on the back of your current radio. Just plug those two together. It's what provides steering wheel control if you have it and will provide info to the RB1 from the car's computer computer.

As for the Rhody, I'm not sure why the PIE module wouldn't be compatible with the RB1. I believe the CD changer cable also changed in '02, but there should be an adapter for it as well. I don't see why the PIE module wouldn't work if you had that adapter...

DjPiLL
11-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Personally I'd sell the Roady and get a RB1 compatible Sirius receiver. That way you can controll the sat radio from the RB1 and you'll get the station and plyalist info on-screen. The list price for the receiver and an install kit is around $300-.

That means he would have to drop XM and go Sirius. Not for nothing... but XM is a superior service over Sirius. I wouldn't care for dropping my XM to go Sirius.

I have this same dilema on the Liberty. I have a Skifi that I want to hook into the Liberty RBQ radio. But I haven't decided on how I want to accomplish this yet.

Morphy
11-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Yes there is also a cd changer adaptor I could get. But I don't see where it plugs in to. I don't have a cd changer with my car.

That's why I was asking if all 22 pins were in use with the adaptor cable. I emailed PIE and they said their cable was not compatible with the RB1. Here is the description of the PIE cable:

Auxiliary input converters by Precision Interface Electronics are designed to convert the CD changer port of the OEM radio (with CD changer controls) into auxiliary input. Devices such as DVD, VCR, MP3, iPOD, Video Game Systems, and Satellite Radio can be added to the OEM radio without FM modulation. DXP technology maintains full function of all factory built-in steering wheel and rear seat controls. Note: It is crucial that you refer to the P.I.E. DPX protocol converter application guide for special notes and details on each specific vehicle. Applicable years vary depending on the model of the vehicle.

I don't have a pic to post of the PIE adaptor yet(I can when I get home), but it is a cable with 2 RCA connectors at one end and some kind of pin connector at the other. I just don't see where the hell it would connect to the RB1. The RB1 is cd changer compatible, so it should work, I just don't know how.

I don't want to go Sirius as I love XM better. I'll look into Sirius again, but doubt if I am going to change

dbaudiopro
11-08-2004, 07:31 PM
There should be another DIN plug on the back of the RB1 for the changer to connect to. If the CD changer adapter cable will go between that DIN plug and the PIE unit, I don't see why it wouldn't work. If an older changer can be adapter to the new headunit, I don't see why the PIE unit couldn't be done the same way...

Morphy
11-09-2004, 09:43 AM
http://www.triumvirate.ca/rb1_back1.jpg

This is the back of the RB1. If someone wants to hook up a cd changer to it, where does it go? As said above, all 22 pins are being used from the cables to hook it up to the car.

I've read in forums elsewhere that if you do somehow hook up a PIE adaptor to the RB1, when you switch over to aux it says something like 'no disc'.

dbaudiopro
11-09-2004, 10:34 AM
OK, you got me. I have no idea where the changer plugs in. My guess is that is supposed to plug into C2. But like you said, if the 22-pin plug takes up C1 and C2 then it won't work. I know JoeKD has the adapter kit and the changer plugged in so hopefully he can answer this one...

'98-ESer
11-09-2004, 11:04 AM
:sigh:

A CD changer goes into the RB1 via a 'junction box' that is included with the changer install kit. The same junction box also enables the connection of the sat radio receiver.

Morphy
11-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Ummmm what is this junction box and what is a cd changer install kit? And how would the whole thing hook up together?

I don't want a cd changer, I just want to be able to hook up my sat radio properly.

tx2002intrep
11-09-2004, 11:39 AM
the cd changer plugs into the "C2" plug on the RB1. The PIE adapter should plug in there.

dbaudiopro
11-09-2004, 12:01 PM
the cd changer plugs into the "C2" plug on the RB1. The PIE adapter should plug in there.OK, that makes sense. But if it plugs into C2, does that adapter in the first post only plug into C1? If so, their picture descriptions are wrong. It can't be a 12-pin and 10-pin connector on the radio and a 22-pin connector on the adpater harness...

DjPiLL
11-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Have you actually tried using the Roady for FM modulation? I have heard plenty of people say the quality is quite good.

I am probably going to get the Delphi MyFi (the first portable radio). That has a built-in FM Modulator and I will take it with me whenever I drive the Jeep. Talk about having no wires... since it runs on battery... i shouldn't need a single wire period. It also the first device with a built-in antenna.

http://www.xm411.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7488

Morphy
11-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Right. It does make sense the cd changer would plug into C2. But the first picture I posted shows the one end of the adaptor as being a 22 pin, which would eat up both C1 and C2. So is that cable in the first picture only 12 pins at the one end?

I am going to order the adaptor kit on Thursday.

Even if that cable above is only 12 pins, and the PIE adaptor is 10 pins, and everything seems to hook up nicely, it still doesn't explain why PIE themselves say their cable won't work with the RB1. I will email them again and see what they say.

DJPILL - I am currently using the FM modulation to get sound, and the sound quality is acceptable. The problem is when I travel to larger cities like Montreal or Toronto, most of the FM frequencies are used up and I can't listen to satellite radio at all. The Roady2 only has 6 or 8 possible FM frequencies you can select from. And on a long road trip I have to switch frequencies, ummmm, frequently, as I come and go from various cities, and that's a big pain in the ass. I want it hardwired in so I don't have to fidget with the radio anymore.

dbaudiopro
11-09-2004, 01:36 PM
If I count right, there are 14-16 wires in that adapter plug in the first picture. Based on the picture of the rear of the radio (which is terrible for counting pins) I think C1 is actually 22 pins, not 12. This would leave the 10-pin C2 plug for the changer.

As for the PIE adapter, if there is actually a "converter box" required to make the old changer work with the newer style radio, then more than likely there is some translation logic in there. I still have trouble understanding why an old changer will work with a new radio using the converter and but the PIE unit will not unless there is something "lost in translation"...

GR8WHT
11-09-2004, 01:45 PM
If you have the RB1 , then spending the few extra dollars for the RIGHT satalite system makes sense. Adding XM to an RB1 is like putting a lawn mower enging in a viper. Makes no sence.

XM as Sirius are both excellent, have had both for extended time. You would be happy with sirius and the funcionality and sound quality are light years ahead.

Morphy
11-09-2004, 01:54 PM
I bought my XM system before I bought the RB1. I studied up on both XM and Sirius and wanted XM as it looked much better. I have all the Sirius stations on my Dish network tv satellite and after seeing the playlists for both systems, I am happy with XM.

I thought the RB1 would be compatible with XM, but looks like it won't, at least for now. If I have to live with FM modulation, I will. But there has to be a friggin way to hardwire it in.

kumiyer
12-01-2004, 01:01 AM
The picture of the GPS is WRONG. It says it has a 10 pin and a 12 pin connector. Its actually a 10 pin and a 22 pin connector. The labelling of the 22 pin is wrong. I dont know why it says 12 pin. I have a RB1 in my 300M and I have manually done all the connections. My 6 Disc DVD changer thats in my dash goes to the 10 pin connector and the wiring harness goes to the 22 pin on my RB1 and the other end goes to the 2 connector coming out of old wiring system. When it comes to Satellite radio, people are right saying sirrus is really compatabile with RB1, if any body wants to go XM, it could be done easily as well as with a FM modulator. The Wires from the modulator could be cut and punched into wires coming out of RB1.

DjPiLL
12-01-2004, 01:46 AM
If you have the RB1 , then spending the few extra dollars for the RIGHT satalite system makes sense. Adding XM to an RB1 is like putting a lawn mower enging in a viper. Makes no sence.

XM as Sirius are both excellent, have had both for extended time. You would be happy with sirius and the funcionality and sound quality are light years ahead.

Thats your opinion... but Sirius is repetitive as hell... the XM playlist is far deeper than Sirius.

Just because the RB1 is "Sirius Ready" shouldn't justify going with an inferior satellite company.

kumiyer
12-01-2004, 02:25 AM
XM is much better than Sirrus, Atleast thats what I think, I have a XM in my 300M

Morphy
12-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Well I plan to try the install next week. Going with FM modulation for now. An XM direct Chrysler kit should be out soon which will allow a hard connection to the RB1. I also have the option of getting a cd changer and hooking the system up through that, but as I plan to never listen to cd's again in the car, that's a waste of money.

kumiyer
12-05-2004, 03:09 AM
I was just browsing XM's site and came across their new adaptor for Chrysler Radio's. I think its the same for Dodge and Plymouth. The adaptor lets you use XM functions on your OEM Radio like a RB1 would for sirrius. The only thing is that the adaptor is $299. More information could be found at XM radio's web site. What do you guys think about this adaptor, anyone interested in spending lots of $$$$ for this adaptor.

DjPiLL
12-05-2004, 09:53 AM
$299 is for the whole Kit I believe... which includes the Pioneer tuner box. The adapter itself is only $100... but you still need to buy some sort of compatible tuner.