replacing the sound system [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: replacing the sound system

billkerr
04-02-2002, 05:22 PM
is it true if i change the factory deck i have to change all the speaker wire's when i put new speakers in

thump186
04-02-2002, 05:57 PM
shouldnt have to just pick up a factory wring harness adapter and wire your new radio in. the colors should match right up. you can get them at walmart for like 10 bucks well worth the money and neat to no messy wires.

bat078
04-02-2002, 07:57 PM
it looks like I will have to in my "97" sport as I have the mid-grade stereo with the amp and the reat 6x9 speaker has 4 wires. and the bass and tweeter are wired seperatly in it. with 2 wires you get either bass or tweeter but not both.they cannot be combined . I tried.

thump186
04-02-2002, 08:24 PM
well if you plan on changing the speakers in the rear anyways why not go with seperates in the rear and mid bass or mid range driver and a tweeter . i replaced it all because i didnt want to use my stock amp but it can be done.

OneSpecialM
04-03-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by bat078
it looks like I will have to in my "97" sport as I have the mid-grade stereo with the amp and the reat 6x9 speaker has 4 wires. and the bass and tweeter are wired seperatly in it. with 2 wires you get either bass or tweeter but not both.they cannot be combined . I tried.

you could buy some higher end 6x9s that have separate inputs for highs and lows....my infinity kappas have that....just dont use the outboard crossover that comes with them, and wire the factory lines right in....i'm assuming that the stock system has a crossover as well since the stock woofs have high/low inputs...

Black94ES
04-03-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by bat078

If you're getting an amp it doesn't make a difference, all the wires are colour coated. So if you put in 2-way 6x9's in the back that have only 2-wire input, then pick two wires and use them. Although you will have 2 extra wires on each side.

Unless you're not getting an amp, then just ignore this...