Trunk [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Trunk

Red76
02-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi, just purchased a 200 Intrepid R/T, and the trunk will only open with the key...the release button in the car doesn't work and neither does the transmitter. Checked all the fuses, and they are good. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Imadreadhead
02-01-2005, 02:23 PM
maybe a wire is disconnected

Red76
02-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Thanks, for the response...although there are lots of wires in the trunk lid...just wondering if anyone else has had this problem...

dbaudiopro
02-01-2005, 03:13 PM
It's not a common thing, but I've seen posts before where people have encounted a broken wire in the loom that follows the trunk hinge. I would use a meter and check that the release solenoid is powered and getting signal to release. If not, then you may have a broken wire...

poopyhead
02-01-2005, 04:22 PM
BE fortunate that you have a trunk release button my BASE MODEL first-gen did not come with one its a pain in the a__ when its cold and my trunk lock is frozen and that text book that I need for my next class in there and my professor wont let me into class without one and I am the rocket scientist that left thr de-icer in the trunk!!!!!!

NHogan
02-01-2005, 06:47 PM
lol @ poopyhead, dont worry my de-icer is in my trunk as well, u could always urs ur wiper spray and rub the key in it lol. if u got the de-icer windshield stuff, anyways back to the trunk. dealership take it there, and where did u get it, at them why it doesnt work, u said u just bought it, you should of checked it out.

D76G12
02-01-2005, 09:38 PM
BE fortunate that you have a trunk release button my BASE MODEL first-gen did not come with one its a pain in the a__ when its cold and my trunk lock is frozen and that text book that I need for my next class in there and my professor wont let me into class without one and I am the rocket scientist that left thr de-icer in the trunk!!!!!! Heat the key with a lighter - it may take 2-3 tries but it will work ...

dcarr66
02-01-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 99 ES. I have a remote starter and though it was the remote unit at first, but the release button won't work either. I don't think it's a bad wire, because it seems to operate the latch once if the trunk is open?!?! Still trying to trace it down. I'll let you know if I find it...

sc.intrepid
02-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Is there a relay along with a fuse ? Relay bad ?
Maybe broken wire mentioned already
Maybe a broken/shot release solenoid.

D76G12
02-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Hi, just purchased a 200 Intrepid R/T, and the trunk will only open with the key...the release button in the car doesn't work and neither does the transmitter. Checked all the fuses, and they are good. Any suggestions?

Thanks My daughter managed to somehow bump the solenoid on our 1G Concorde and get it out of alignment so it wouldn't open the latch. If the solenoid seems to be working fine that may be the problem ...

platnumedition98
02-02-2005, 02:09 AM
I had this problem with my 98 ES. i took the button off and worked with it for a bit. the buttom was not hitting the right spot it needed to be. check that.

ESMIKE96
02-02-2005, 08:39 PM
BE fortunate that you have a trunk release button my BASE MODEL first-gen did not come with one its a pain in the a__ when its cold and my trunk lock is frozen and that text book that I need for my next class in there and my professor wont let me into class without one and I am the rocket scientist that left thr de-icer in the trunk!!!!!!

i have a base 3.3 with trac abs trunk button :) and keyless entry just no alarm

dcarr66
02-12-2005, 08:22 PM
A few more details on my problem - sorry for the hijack! ;)

The remote and release button in the cockpit both work if the trunk is open! :confused: Neither method will activate the solenoid with the trunk shut.

Sounds like an electrical problem, but I'm not sure where to look. I seem to remember that I could activate the solenoid with the trunk open before. Would someone with a functioning release mind verifying that for me? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

bongobobny
02-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Try lubricating the whole mechanism and see if that helps. If you can confirm that the soleniod is working when the trunk is open, then probably there is nothing electrical wrong. It may just be extra tight when latched and the solenoid can't break it loose. It may be temperature related. Can you park it in a heated garage for several hours and try it??

dcarr66
02-13-2005, 02:51 PM
I thought something might've been frozen, but we've had several 45+ degree days recently and that didn't seem to help.

I just remembered that there's an override (must be electrical) that keeps you from popping the trunk unless the car is in P. Wondering if that could be part of it. It's nice today so I'm going to screw around with it a little bit to see if I can figure it out.

Also installing new Silverstars! :D

dcarr66
02-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Found it: there was a broken wire in the harness that runs from inside the trunk to the latch. I found that the solenoid would engage with the trunk about halfway open or more, and noticed that the wires flex quite a bit when the trunk is opened and closed. I pulled the harness apart, soldered the broken wire together and covered the splice with three shrink tubes. Then I bundled the entire harness back together with a healthy amount of friction tape.

So BongoBob and I were both right (sort of) since it turned out to be a mechanical problem causing an electrical problem :sly:

Red76 - you might want to check the same thing. It looks like a weak design to me.

Red76
02-24-2005, 12:15 PM
that was the problem...same thing

alarkyokie
02-24-2005, 03:42 PM
That's true. You might try holding the trunk release button down and move your shift lever back and forth. It could be out of adjustment.

dcarr66
02-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Glad you were able to fix it Red76.

reddingnh
02-26-2005, 06:58 PM
99 Intrepid. I just went and checked mine and solenoid will activate from the cockpit with the trunk closed and open. You should be able to hear the solenoid engage and pull the latch so you don't have to find a volunteer to lay in the trunk and relay information. Sounds like a wire making intermittent contact. Good luck