Help on setting up new cable modem, please [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Help on setting up new cable modem, please

Warlord187
05-02-2002, 08:37 AM
Ok, here is the story. On Tuesday I went out and bought a cable modem, ethernet card, and a self installation kit.

The next day I had to call Comcast to set up a high speed internet account. Since I have cable TV with them, it will use the same account number. They asked me for my brand of cable modem, my MAC address, and my serial number. They gave me my user name and my temporary password. Sweet! I now have everything I need to finish the software installation.

So I get home to finish the installation. I enter my name, my zip code and my account number. I than have to enter my user name and my password. After that the next screen says the following:

Performing DHCP test. This test is to ensure that your DHCP NIC is functioning properly.

Performing DHCP Release/Renew

Afer about 30 seconds or so, I get the following error message.

TCP/IP Networking Error

There is one network adaptor in the system and it is configured for DHCP, but it is unable to release/renew an IP address.

Error Code: 94

What does this error mean and how to I fix it?

I have some assumptions, but I could be way off. I was thinking that maybe my account hasn't been activated yet? Or maybe I entered the wrong account number (will verify account number today)? Or maybe my 56k modem has something to do with it?

In case this helps, here is some information.

Modem: Toshiba PCX2200
Ethernet Card: Linksys Instant EtherFast Series
Model No. LNE100TX ver 5.1
10/100 LAN card
RJ45 Cable: Belkin cat 6

I hope you networking gods out there can help me with this.

Thanks in advance,

-chase

cj
05-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Warlord187
Performing DHCP Release/Renew

Afer about 30 seconds or so, I get the following error message.

TCP/IP Networking Error

There is one network adaptor in the system and it is configured for DHCP, but it is unable to release/renew an IP address.

Error Code: 94

What does this error mean and how to I fix it?

For whatever reason, it won't obtain an IP address from Comcast. There are many possible causes for this and the error message is specific to Comcast's installation software. You'd be better off calling them to find out the scenarios that produce that specific error number. Possible causes include: Inactive account, bad NIC, bad NIC drivers, bad TCP/IP installation, bad ethernet cable, bad modem, bad modem ---> wall cable, etc.

Or maybe my 56k modem has something to do with it?

Nope.

In case this helps, here is some information.

Modem: Toshiba PCX2200
Ethernet Card: Linksys Instant EtherFast Series
Model No. LNE100TX ver 5.1
10/100 LAN card
RJ45 Cable: Belkin cat 6

I hope you networking gods out there can help me with this.

Thanks in advance,

-chase

Good luck.

Warlord187
05-02-2002, 12:33 PM
Thanks cj.

I found out that I was entering the wrong account number. Hopefully this is the reason for getting the error message. But why do I have a feeling it is something more complicated than that? I guess it's just my luck. :)

I will try again in a few hours when I go home from work. I can't wait! I want my high-speed internet!!! :D

grimmster
05-02-2002, 01:05 PM
name, zip code, account info? whats all that for? My cable thru charter, I just plug in my cat 5 and bam, I'm on.

Warlord187
05-02-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by grimmster
name, zip code, account info? whats all that for?

I purchased a self-installion kit (instead of having some Comcast dude come over and doing it). The name, zip code, account info is needed for the initial software instal and setup. If I had some dude from Comcast come over to do my setup, he would have taken care of that.

After the initial setup, I doubt I will ever have to enter my name, zip code, or account number again (unless I have to reinstall the software).

Warlord187
05-03-2002, 08:20 AM
Ok, last night I tried again with the correct account number and I still got the same error message. I called Comcast and the tech walked me through a couple of things (over the phone) to make sure I had this installed and this set up. Everything checked out fine. He tried to do a status on my modem, but he did not receive anything. I noticed that when I power up the modem, the "cable" light will blink slowly. After about 15-20 seconds the light will start to blink faster. After about a couple of minutes all the lights will flash once and the cable light will shut off. This leaves only the "power" and the "PC" light on. The last thing the tech suggested was that he would reset the modem, but this would take about an hour to take effect. If that didn't work, he gave me a ticket number and said to call back.

continued in next post

Warlord187
05-03-2002, 08:20 AM
continued from last post

I know the wall outlet works because I plugged the cable TV into that outlet and I got a signal. I even tried another cable with no results.

It looks like I will have to call them back after work today. Hopefully they will have some other things to suggest. If not, I guess I will have to have a tech come over. I purchased a self installation kit so I wouldn't have to go through this hassell of having a tech come over and shit.

Do any of you have any suggestions I might try?

Thanks,
-chase

JoeKD
05-03-2002, 08:30 AM
do you have a signal filter on the cable line that supplies feed to the cable modem? you can't use the same jack that a TV plugs into

Can you ping from your system to thiers? Can you loopback ping?

resetting cable modem is done by powering off then on again, should be totally reset and ready to go within 5 minutes, not an hour

triple check to make sure that the TCP/IP settings are all correct

Warlord187
05-03-2002, 08:40 AM
I met to say he was going to reset the modem on the system/network. My bad.

I don't know what the TCP/IP settings are supposed to be. I thought that was what DHCP was for?

I don't know anything about a filter. I just know that the self installion kit came with two cables (a short one and a long one) and a splitter (also came with mounting rings and screws). Obviously (and the diagram showed this) the short cable attaches to the wall and than to the splitter. Than from the splitter you would run your cable to you tv and the other cable to your modem. Since I run the cable to the tv from a different jack, I didn't use the splitter. Would the splitter have a "built in" filter?

Thanks,
-chase

dodgeguy
05-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Warlord if you have a splitter if may need to be changed to make sure it meets the newers specs apparently the cable for internet needs different splitters maybe an impedence issue, I know I had to change my splitter.

Warlord187
05-03-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by dodgeguy
Warlord if you have a splitter if may need to be changed to make sure it meets the newers specs apparently the cable for internet needs different splitters maybe an impedence issue, I know I had to change my splitter.

Since the splitter came with the installtion kit, one would think it would be a correct splitter. I will have to ask them that when I call them later this evening.

Thanks.

If I can't get this issue resolved tonight, it looks like I may be going the entire weekend without internet access. :eek:

Oh no! :eek: :crazy: :biggrin:

dodgeguy
05-03-2002, 09:43 AM
does your modem have usb interface as well as enet?, you might try that in case there is aproblem with nic or utp cable

Warlord187
05-03-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by dodgeguy
does your modem have usb interface as well as enet?, you might try that in case there is aproblem with nic or utp cable

Yes it does have a USB interface. I may have to try that. But my modem says it is connected to the PC (the "PC" light on the modem is constant on). It's my "Cable" light on the modem that either blinks or is off. It should be constant on.

But I may have to try the USB route. It's worth a shot. :)

I may also try a different RJ45 cable. I should have tried that last night. :)

Thanks again.

cj
05-03-2002, 11:12 AM
If you are getting a solid link light to your box from the modem, you shouldn't have to futz with the connection between the two at all. As it is the "Cable" light that is blinking, that means that for whatever reason, the communication between the modem and your ISP is borked.

1. You've already tried different cables between the modem and the wall so you can rule that out as a possible problem.

2. You've already tested the wall jack to ensure that it works so you can rule that out as well.

The only two items left that might be causing the problem in your house/apt. are the modem itself and the splitter. If either of those are bad then you'll have to get a tech to replace them for you. My guess, however, is that they are okay as they are new hardware but you never know. Typically if hardware is going to go bad it does so within the first month of operation.

They may indeed need to reset your node at their equipment facility as the phone guy stated. Let them do whatever troubleshooting they need to on their end prior to determining that the above pieces of hardware are bad. For all you know, someone may have dropped the ball on getting the circuit activated in the first place.

Good luck with it, and if they aren't able to get you up and running after they're through with all of their troubleshooting (and potentially hardware replacements) you should take a serious look at DSL. :)

Warlord187
05-03-2002, 11:23 AM
Thanks cj. I don't believe DSL is available in my area.

As a last resort I will have to get a tech guy over to my apartment. I'm afraid that I may have to do that. Oh well. I just want to get it going so I can start downloading big files and playing games online. :D

Warlord187
05-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Holy suckness not having the internet available to me all weekend long!!! :eek: :)

On Friday I talked to a friend of mine here (who happens to be an IT guy) and he said it sounded like it was a broken cable modem. He said he would bring his old modem in that he knows works and I will try using that one. Hopefully I will have everything figured out so I can join you people in the Tuesday chat session. :D

Warlord187
05-09-2002, 07:18 PM
Ok get this. I went to turn on my computer to play a game. I still haven't gotten a different cable modem so I wasn't expecting to have internet access. Well guess what. All of a sudden my cable modem works! Hopefully this isn't a fluke and it continues to work!

Oh. Holy wicked fast!!!

:)

cj
05-10-2002, 11:44 AM
Sounds like someone at the cable company dropped the ball and when they realized their error they just fixed it behind the scenes. "No sir, I don't show that we had any problem on our end at all. It must have been your setup". :rolleyes: :D

metalroar
06-10-2002, 07:05 PM
I take it everything worked out ok!?

btc909
06-12-2002, 12:07 AM
Time get get out the tard beating stick.

FWI never buy a USB cable modem. Routers don't have USB ports. :)

Also if you install it yourself & cable companies neglect to tell you this, your cable modem bill will be $10 cheaper per month.