Should I Keep/or Sell -this 1999 With 2.7l [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Should I Keep/or Sell -this 1999 With 2.7l

redsoxwonit
06-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Helllo ALL, I just joined this forum today and wanted to say hello to everyone out here and maybe get some help firguring a few things out with the 1999 intrepid which has 104,000 miles and the famous 2.7L ENGINE. I actually bought the car because I liked the way it handled, drove, looked etc....Then after a few days decided to see what kind of furums-reviews-recalls-or anything else about the car I could find online, so after joing this forum and dodgetalk.com forum and reading a few other places online...I think I realized I am taking a gamble with this car and Engine, and that from what has happened to others, like engine totally failing, because of some stupid oil tube design that chrysler/Dodge denies, or others say OIL SLUDGE BUILD UP from not changing oil at every 3,000K...could someday happen to me.

What I dont understand is, a lot of people say the 2.7/intrepids, or any intrepid in general is a Problem car...but while all this is being said., everyday in my travels I see my intrepid cars all over the roads/highways in my daily travels, so not everyone can be having problems< or can they?
I am just wondering how many of you have actually had the ENGINE FAIL and at what mileage was the odometer at when it happened? was there any signs that your engine would be dieing soon or did it just go? I also wanted to know how many miles does all of your intrepids have currently? MIne is a 1999 with 104,000, with only 1 owner before me, and the man claims he changed oil all the time. I do get the OIL LIGHT FLICKERING problem but was thinking of correcting problem with the TSB BULLETIN about changing SENDING UNIT AND ADDING BREATHER TUBE. IT flickers once in awhile, but not everyday.I also noticed that before we got the car, the AC BLOWER would only work on HIGH SPEED, but car dealer replaced a resistor and ithas been working Ok for past week.

so my main question about all of this and this car is " SHOULD I SELL IT ...OR KEEP IT?

Unique
06-22-2005, 07:49 PM
at the end its your decision if you sell it or keep it. . .

i have a 01 2.7L with 90,200m - alot of mines for the year but its a great car in great shape. All cars have problems, you arent gonna be able to purchase a car without someone having something negitive to say about it. If you maintence your car and drive it correctly im sure u'll have a good time with your trep.

good luck.

DodgeyAussie
06-22-2005, 07:59 PM
If you know the service history of it, mainly, how often was the oil changed and did they use dino oil or synthetic. If you know those two things for certain, you should be fine. A few things to do though with an Intrepid that has that sort of mileage, the main one being Timing chain, tensioner and water pump, have the transmission flushed and replace fluid with ATF4 (available only from dealership, although there are some supposedly compatable fluids out there) and drop that oil and fill it with a good synthetic, most here use mobil 1, and a good filter like Purolator or a K&N. Do a search on these topics, there's mountains of info available. And last but not least, Welcome to the site and enjoy, beware though, it IS addictive.

lextrep
06-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Welcome!
If you like the way the car handles, drives and looks keep it, you won't find a better driving car for the money. While there have been problems reported with different things on Intrepids they are really no more than just about any car made. Just maintain it, keep oil changed and keep a close eye on coolant level. If it has been a one owner car and reasonably maintained you shouldn't have any problems. Your most valueable maintenance tool is this site, it will really help you out.

Ronbo
06-22-2005, 11:35 PM
My 2000 SE with a 2.7L had 123k and climbing on it before it was stolen. No synthetic oil...many times over 3000 miles between oil changes. Still ran fine. If you like it now..maintain it and you should be fine. You could always invest in a 3.2l or 3.5L swap if the engine worries you. I've had 5 Intrepids and I'll buy another one..no hesitation.

timdawg
06-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the site. If you like the car keep it. It might provide you years of trouble free enjoyment. Hey some cars go 30k miles and break down and some go 200k miles without breaking down. 2.7 isn't the greatest engine but some last a long time with no problems, so keep it and enjoy. Besides who would you sell it to with the oil light flickering, you want to stick someone with a messed up car. Shame on you!!! :biggrin:

cjgintrepid04
06-23-2005, 09:54 AM
the 2.7 no matter how many flaws it has is a good reliable engine. I have an 04 intrepid with the 2.7 and for me it has plenty of power when I need it, economical on gas, and is sort of easy to maintain.

bookmark this forum.. it will be your best friend. I have been looking at this ever since I bought my car new from the dealer. The how to's are wonderful and you can learn alot from peoples experences.

The biggest thing to do is maintain the car. Do your 3000 mile oil changes with a good quality oil. I personally use mobil oil in all my cars but some say that other brands are good too. STAY AWAY from non brand name oils.. Quite often they are bulk oil and seem not to protect as much. Use a quality filter....

if you spend a little extra on the filter and brand name oil it is worth it in my opinion. Also in reguards to your trans fluid.. make sure you do get ATF 4. If shop tells you dextron III with an additive will do the same.. run like hell. I learned that the hard way with a 94 acclaim. ATF 4 .. there is no subsitute.

The intrepid will serve you well if you maintain it .. and if your engine does die .. there are plenty of places now that sell 3.2/3.5 conversion kits.

slowbra
06-23-2005, 10:58 AM
I had to replace my 2.7 at 143k miles...but it was mainly my fault. Long story, but I abused the heck out of that motor! :biggrin: Keep it maintained regularly with Mobil 1, don't drag race the thing, and it should last you awhile. If you're worried about it, save some money for a 3.2 swap down the road. Like others have said, its your choice in the end to keep it or not, but I think they're a great all-around car, and it suits my needs right now!

Treppenwolf
06-23-2005, 12:05 PM
I can't add anything except to say that these are super replies. Good job guys! :fun_08:

IntrepidBus IV
06-23-2005, 12:14 PM
My '99 2.7 had 162,200 miles and no problems when I sold it. Currently, my '02 2.7 has 111,700 miles and it's still like brandie new. Never anything but ordinary maintenance done on either. Good luck with your new ride!

BC42875
06-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I have 127K and and the car is still going strong. I do regular maintance and once and a while add some Marvels Mystery Oil to my Oil. Good solid car.

BC42875

dabirdzR/T
06-23-2005, 02:04 PM
from what i have read, if you replace the timing belt tensioner idler arm with the upgraded one, it has a better oiling system, which is one of the major parts that fail. change the oil regularly, use synthetic oil, and just take care of the car.

concordia
06-23-2005, 03:36 PM
from what i have read, if you replace the timing belt tensioner idler arm with the upgraded one, it has a better oiling system, which is one of the major parts that fail. change the oil regularly, use synthetic oil, and just take care of the car.
what he said and it's also time to replace the timing chain anyway.

IntrepidDude
06-23-2005, 09:59 PM
You probably didnt pay that much for the car so enjoy it. I'd get that light problem fixed making sure the oil pressure is adequate.

PimpSummit
06-23-2005, 10:49 PM
The fact that it only had one owner is a good. At 104k, it is probably time to change the timing chain and tensioners. If you do this the mechanice can take a look around the engine. Also, do a search in the forums on retrieving computer codes and see what pops up.

DodgeI_00
06-23-2005, 11:35 PM
The 2.7 is good gas saving engine. I can fill it up and go two weeks before filling it up again and it has a whole lotta room in the back and in the trunk.

Intrepid4Life
06-24-2005, 12:23 AM
My 1993 ES has 121K on it with the 3.5. Everyone told me a Dodge was a bad move, but this is the 3rd one I've had (no, the other 2 did not die - 1 was totalled in a wreck, the other I sold to by the wife a mini-van). I LOVE these cars. I've not seen another car with the kind of size and value for the price. I am in outside sales, and my customers are always commenting on how nice my car is, and can't believe it's a 1993.

Take care of it, and it'll treat you well.