gauges dont work, then work, then dont work...wtf? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: gauges dont work, then work, then dont work...wtf?

Aviation
08-02-2005, 07:49 AM
so i drive home and none of my gauges work, then about 25 mins later, it works.

I stop at a friends, and when i start it up again, they dont work...temp,gas,rpms,mph none of it works

oh before this happend my check engline light would flash on and off periodically along with the airbag light? any suggestions? anyone had this problem?

Aviation
08-02-2005, 12:25 PM
do i have to have 5,000 posts to get some help, or have breasts? lol

crombie
08-02-2005, 12:29 PM
do i have to have 5,000 posts to get some help, or have breasts? lol
Ummm... Not sure how to even reply to that statement. ;)
Anyways... Sounds like your BCM (Body Control Module is bad). That would cause it to go in "limp mode". Have you tried to check for codes yet? Here's the link: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9477
Is your check engine light on?

Aviation
08-02-2005, 12:38 PM
check engine light was on, along with airbag light, they were on and off before, but now that the gauges dont work, i guess the lights arent....but the blinker does.

i tried to get codes, it wont even flash

Aviation
08-02-2005, 12:39 PM
hey by the way, im also in MARYLAND, and the orioles SUCK lol damn them

rafael and his steroids

crombie
08-02-2005, 12:40 PM
but now that the gauges dont work
Your transmission output sensor is the culprit.

crombie
08-02-2005, 12:42 PM
hey by the way, im also in MARYLAND, and the orioles SUCK lol damn them
Which part of MD are you in? Also... I am not a Orioles fan. I despise them along with the Nationals.

GO METS!

Aviation
08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
transmission output? what happend to the other theory...BCM?

also, i ive in westminster, but right now im in hunt valley md at work

crombie
08-02-2005, 12:49 PM
transmission output? what happend to the other theory...BCM?

also, i ive in westminster, but right now im in hunt valley md at work
Sounds like to me you have two different scenerios going on. That is why I suggested BOTH parts. Try the BCM first.
Check engine light flashing on and off, airbag light also flickering....
your gauges now not working...
sounds like 2 seperate problems to me.
My gauge stopped working (yeah, it's a second gen, both limp modes are the same) over the 4th of July weekend. My other lights on the dash were not affected. Hence me changing out the output sensor.

Now your other lights flickering and acting all funky sounds like a computer problem.

Aviation
08-02-2005, 12:59 PM
wonderful, i spent 800 on it 3 weeks ago, now i need new tie rods, whatever this problem is....and my gas mileage is horrible, and my car runs blogged down wih a loss of HP, it gets worse and worse, im bout to throw my computer thinking about it

whitey
08-02-2005, 01:07 PM
is ur car even in "limp mode" wont come out of second gear

crombie
08-02-2005, 01:12 PM
is ur car even in "limp mode" wont come out of second gear
You can be in limp mode even if your car shifts out of 2nd. If the speedo doesn't work, that's also limp mode Bob.

whitey
08-02-2005, 01:19 PM
o i guess u learn something new everyday, i would replace both input and output sensors while under there that is just me tho

btw what year and features does ur car i have a 95 base bcm sittin in my car right now

Aviation
08-02-2005, 01:34 PM
i have a 94 es with pretty much electronic everything

whitey
08-02-2005, 02:35 PM
u got a factory alarm,otis over head travel information system,atc automatic tempeture control, or u mean power windows and seats stuff like that

Aviation
08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
everything u mentioned, dont know about the alarm though...

NEWS FLASH LATE BREAKING, my gauges started working out of nowwhere...i guess something could be loose?hmmm what should i check for?

Aviation
08-03-2005, 04:39 PM
if it works then dont work is it a loose wire? or what?

Veeb0rg
08-03-2005, 08:05 PM
i'd check the plugs at the BCM.. and also the fuse box under the hood for corosion

and i haven't been to a O's game since the new ballpark

jedgxe
08-03-2005, 09:23 PM
hmmm.. can't decide on 5,000 posts or a fine pair of breasts. OK breasts it is...Another thing you might want to check is your ignition switch. Do you also lose your blower and radio when your air bag light comes on ??

Aviation
08-05-2005, 07:10 AM
and no my radio works fine, not sure what u mean by blower, where are the plugs at the bcm?

also, my gauges worked this morning, so i tried to check for error codes, but the check engine light wouldnt flash

DIxuser
08-06-2005, 01:40 AM
ok i have the same problem exctpt Sometimes my car starts in limp mode and sometimes it dont.
so whats the problem tranny out and input sensors and BCM (Body Control Module) or just 1 if just 1 which 1 and are they hard to install and where are they located.

And last i asked this so called "mechanic" what the problem was he said something like a tranny modulator its a little pin on the side of the tranny that may be the problem is that in any relation?

DIxuser
08-06-2005, 01:58 AM
also when its not in limp mode and when it DOES change gears it gives the motor and the tranny a hard kick like theres a shift kit and no motor mounts installed what could this problem be?

D76G12
08-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Limp mode is easy to tell - the car will start off in 2nd gear and won't shift out of 2nd gear. If you have that condition you're in "limp mode". If it shifts at all you are not in limp mode. Now, if you are in limp mode and the speedometer doesn't work it's usually the output sensor on the tranny. If the speedometer does work it's usually the input sensor. As whitey said - it's SOP to replace both sensors while you're there assuming you're not broke. With that being said ...

The first thing I do (especially if it's an electrical problem of some kind) is reset the computer by disconnecting the battery (or negative jump post on a 2G) for at least 20 minutes. This will reset all the electronics in the car with the possible exception of the radio (it's 50-50). Sometimes this works and it's an easy fix. It'll also clear out any other codes that may have been stored in the past but are unrelated to the current problem. Now, reconnect the battery and drive normally - or try to depending on the problem :) - then check for codes.

If you can't check for codes b/c of a cluster problem then there are many small things it can be and I have no idea where to tell you to start - sorry. Clusters have been known to go bad (especially if it's been sitting awhile) but it's rare. Chances are you have a bad connection somewhere. Checking the connection to the ignition and BCM is a good idea for starters. The ignition plug (10-way black) is an "H" or "I" looking connector behind the steering column (that's for a '96 - it could be slightly different on a '95). It will have several large (12 & 14 gauge) wires running to it. I've never had occasion to find the BCM on the 1G but from the '96 manual at looks like it's to the right side of the glove box. There's a mounting screw for it behind the right end panel of the dash.

Check back on what you find and good luck ...

DIxuser
08-06-2005, 02:41 PM
what i ment to say was that like 75% of the time i start the car its in limp mode and the other 25% it starts in 1st, but when its not in limp mode and it changes gears theres a hard jerk on the motor/tranny.

D76G12
08-06-2005, 03:08 PM
what i ment to say was that like 75% of the time i start the car its in limp mode and the other 25% it starts in 1st, but when its not in limp mode and it changes gears theres a hard jerk on the motor/tranny. If the speedo is still working fine then my guess would be the input sensor on the tranny is starting to fail. Some people have reported a "warning" like that - count yourself as one of the lucky ones ... :)

DIxuser
08-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Woo Hoo! funally gettting some luck...
Everywhere i go i got a dark cloud above my head if feels like. If thats the case how much does the imput and output sensor cost. And how do i install it. Id like to learn myself thats y im working on the 'trep myself with all of ur wonderfull minds for assistance.

Thanks Again
David

D76G12
08-06-2005, 07:22 PM
The FAQ's and How-To's are a wonderful thing ...

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14839

DIxuser
08-07-2005, 01:56 AM
thanks man i search those if i have any other q's

D76G12
08-07-2005, 02:25 AM
All I'm saying is look through those first - then you'll have more informed questions and can understand the answers better. :)

There's also a lot of little things you can learn just by reading through them - whether you have a problem like that or not. I've covered about half of them. Some things - like LEDs - don't interest me so I skipped 'em (for now). But someday I'll go back and read them just to see what info may be there.

IMO - You can never know too much about your car ...

Aviation
08-07-2005, 11:49 AM
oh so now everyone else gets help in my thread...lol

well, someone said limp mode didnt have to be the 2nd gear thing...my car also loses a lot of hp...and idles rough....but then sometimes it works normal with normal HP, i can feel it change from loss, to not loss...is this a limp mode as well? or is this another problem?
damnit....my gauges dont work anddddd my car is losing hp

D76G12
08-07-2005, 12:13 PM
oh so now everyone else gets help in my thread...lol

well, someone said limp mode didnt have to be the 2nd gear thing...my car also loses a lot of hp...and idles rough....but then sometimes it works normal with normal HP, i can feel it change from loss, to not loss...is this a limp mode as well? or is this another problem?
damnit....my gauges dont work anddddd my car is losing hp No - limp mode is only when the tranny has an error and will not come out of 2nd, that's the only gear you will have (see above post).

As for your gauges I recommended checking the connections (see above post) before going any farther. Let us know what you find ... :)

Aviation
08-08-2005, 08:28 AM
so i have to take off the steering column and locate the ignition plug?

D76G12
08-08-2005, 06:55 PM
No, I think you'll be able to find it up under the dash but it'll be way up there (if the pic in the manual is right). You just need to double-check it to make sure it's OK and hasn't loosened up somehow. Same for the BCM connections. And you might check (if you can) to be sure the plug going to the cluster is good, too. If all the connections are good and the wires aren't worn somewhere then it gets a little more expensive ...

Aviation
08-23-2005, 08:25 AM
ok well i am not very good with cars, but im going to try to look up under my dash to see if i can see wires. anyone have any pics of what wires and connections to check?

Aviation
08-23-2005, 08:33 AM
i looked under the dash on the floor where i could see, there was a plug with a blue end with nothing plugged into it there, it had a bunch of wires coming out from it? is something supposed to be plugged into that or what?

D76G12
08-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Was that plug right under the steering wheel and near the "front" of the dash (toward the back of the car)? If so, that's probably the ODBII port that you found - looks kinda' like a computer serial port. Don't know what color it is, though ...

Hat Trick | Mafioso
08-23-2005, 10:13 PM
my gauges did the same thing for about a day, blowin fuses andwhat not. put a bigger amperage in the fuse panal, and i found out that mine kept blowing cuz i had a switch that i guess had a bad ground..

Japy
08-25-2005, 07:06 PM
You wanna know how i fix the issue with my gauges dieing? when driving and i see them die like you described- i give the clear plastic over the guages a light hit with my fist and they come back on- badabing-badaboon fixed. oh and one time i have my spedo neetle actually stuck under the peg- and i got pulled over doin 97 in a 45... hahah, cop gave me a warning, think that was from too much bass though :tongue:

Japy
08-25-2005, 07:08 PM
oh and also- under no circumstances take your trep to the dealership for this problem, because they will charge you for the estimate and not find jack shit wrong with it, then on the way home, your guages will die and you're gonna end up shooting someone :beat:

Hat Trick | Mafioso
08-25-2005, 09:03 PM
my money is on a loose wire then.. or maybe u can benifit from this... it helps relieve anger?

Aviation
08-26-2005, 08:47 AM
im bad with this kind of thing, ill never find the loose wire, i dont even know the first thing to do lol